PDA

View Full Version : help: bouncing p-40

eddiemac0
01-08-2005, 08:07 PM
hi all, I posted on this some time ago, but went on vacation and can't find the original post: sorry...

Ok, how do I keep the p-40 (and the spitfire too I suppose) from bouncing around like crazy when I'm taking off and taxiing?

Thanks.

eddiemac0
01-08-2005, 08:07 PM
hi all, I posted on this some time ago, but went on vacation and can't find the original post: sorry...

Ok, how do I keep the p-40 (and the spitfire too I suppose) from bouncing around like crazy when I'm taking off and taxiing?

Thanks.

Cajun76
01-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Stay on the runway and/or taxiway. Croos country is not good for most a/c. If you find yourself in the dirt, try and keep the stick pulled back 75-100% below about 100km/h. Release some pressure and let the tail off the ground, but keep some pressure on the stick to keep your nose slightly raised. It'll lift off on it's own from there.

I don't recommned flaps for most a/c taking off unless they have a heavy load, or you happen to be launching from the rough grass.

Latico
01-08-2005, 08:59 PM
If you mean the rocking I don't think you can. It seems to be a charactoristis of narrow landing gear configurations.

Try to keep your taxi speed down and stay on taxiways at all times. Tat will help reduce the rocking. When are taking off, get your tail up as soon as you can and hang on.

BurningBeard
01-08-2005, 10:42 PM
I have found if you apply the brakes, throttle up and raise the tail, then release the brakes it is much more stable. It puts more weight on the main gear and reduces the bouncing. Just make sure you dont raise the tail too much or the mission becomes really shorthttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Beard

RexMagnus1984
01-08-2005, 11:06 PM
I know exactly what your talking about. I just started the USAAF campaign and had that problem with the plan rocking like crazy.
You just need to get the tail off the ground as soon as possible. Just about the time the rocking starts, you should be moving fast enough to push forward on the stick to get the tail off the ground. Then take off like with any other plan.

Cajun76
01-09-2005, 12:24 AM
For rocking planes, I generally give a bit of aileron, usually opposite the prop spin to counter torque. Once it stabilizes, proceed as normal.

I thought he was talking about the tailwheel bounce, which is a bit overdone at the moment. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

HotelBushranger
01-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Yeah, just apply opposite aileron and get the speed up. However, I just thought it was the dirt/gravel runways that were the problem, not the aircraft.

Chuck_Older
01-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Um, guys? I agree with Rex. I think you are way off base here. I do not know how the Spit figures in all this, but:

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">The Hawk 81A-2, P-40B and P-40C have ground handling issues on some, but not all maps. P-40E and later variants do not exhibit this behavior</span> I can think of no other group of planes that exhibit this behavior to such an extreme that I would call it 'bounce' or that it would cause such a problem merely to taxi. Back pressure on the stick is the worst thing you can do in the P-40B, C, or H81A-2 to correct this

is this what you mean, eddie:

The plane 'waddles' from side to side, dragging the wingtips into the runway, not matter if it's grass, concrete, or off in the feild somewhere? The cockpit seems like it's angled 45* to the ground and then you roll back the other way and hit that wingtip, too?

If not, then you need to indicate just what model P-40 is giving you trouble: we have the Hawk 81A-2, the P-40B, the P-40C, the P-40E, the P-40M and the P-40M (field modified), and they may be similar in some cases like the H81A-2 and P-40B, but that is not to say that necessarily thay are the same and act the same way

I am going to assume the trouble is with the H-81A-2, P-40B and P-40C for now.

OK, here is how to almost eliminate that problem concerning the H81A-2, P-40B and P-40C on take-off:

Apply a fair amount of forward pressure on the stick *before you even start the engine*. Start the engine. No flaps. Keep canopy shut. Immediately apply full power and full percentage of prop pitch. Some rudder, but not a lot, will be needed. You want to keep the bottom of the circle on the gunsight about where it will touch the horizon. Keep the plane straight- this is easier as you gain speed. At about 135-150mph, pull up smoothly and evenly. Immediately pull up gear and drop two notches of flaps.

The waddle issue only shows up when the tailwheel is on the ground. When the tailwheel is up, the waddle disappears.

I have tried the brakes, and whatnot, and belive me, I have flown the H81A-2 off of runways on all maps a lot, this method results in zero ground loops or wingtip strikes, and is easy to master, using controls you probabaly already have bound and memorized.

For landing-
come in about 2-3 miles out at about a thousand feet, and you'll need to be at around 150 mph. Open the canopy, and give the radiator flaps all they have, to increase drag. 'Flashing' the tail around can bleed off some extra speed if you are too fast. Slowly and evenly reduce power, and as you do, drop flaps enough to keep your nose up, but also keep the plane on a gentle slow descent. You want to touch down at about 100 mph; a little faster is fine, but just a little. Now, the same thing that happened on takeoff will happen during landing. So this part is harder, but the technique is the same: keep the tailwheel up as long as you can! 'Flaring' or a three point landing is not recommended. Land on the main wheels, that's why I recommend 100 mph.

To do this, I use the plane's tendency to 'nose-over' or groundloop to advantage. At about 55 mph, the tail wants to settle to the ground. Tap the brakes, the nose comes forward. You can do this to about 25 mph or so, at which point the 'waddle' is mild enough so that you can control the plane with rudder. At about 10-15 mph the waddle is almost gone and the plane taxiis almost normally.

These planes do the same thing when taking off from a field, but landing in a field almost always results in a ground loop if wheels are down. I strongly urge a belly landing (which is easy in these planes) if you must land somewhere else besides a runway of any kind

eddiemac0
01-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Chuck once again you've read my mind... sorry all I wasn't more specific http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks

DuxCorvan
01-09-2005, 08:18 AM
Tell the ground crew not to inflate the tail wheel so much...

You can also try this in conf.ini:

P40madrubber=0

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

(Just kidding. Follow Chuck's advices, he bought FB just because a witch had told him there would be an AVG P-40 in the sim someday... have you seen his sig? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )