PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR3 and FB/AEP/PF

Jaras
10-31-2005, 12:06 PM
I have a question for TrackIR3 (regular 80FPS version) users.

Is it really good to save bucks and get the regular version instead the pro version (120FPS).

Is there a noticable diffrence between TrackIR 80FPS and 120FPS in the game?
What if game's FPS goes over 80FPS, will regular version of TrackIR loose tracking?

I don't really understand the diffrence, and I'd like to know before I'll buy TrackIR3 and then realize that it was better to get the Pro version.

x6BL_Brando
10-31-2005, 12:23 PM
If you can, buy the 3Pro - it works very well. It works considerably better than the original and the V.2. Whether it is markedly better than the 3 I don't know...but it would seem to make sense to go for the best spec.

My motto is to not buy very many major pieces of hardware in a year - but to get the best possible example when I do.

arjisme
10-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "works considerably better than the original and the V.2"?

I have a TrackIR2 and, while I like it very much, it has one issue that annoys me. It does not consistently track well when I look to the right. I calibrate and position it carefully before I launch FB/PF and it typically seems to work fine initially, but as I get into furballs it just does not pan further to the right than about 90 degrees -- i.e. looking straight down my wing. I use a baseball cap with the reflector tape on the bill. It almost never has a problem looking left. It seems it is pretty sensitive to how close I am to it and if there is any body lean at all.

Is TrackIR3 "considerably better" in this regard? I have been thinking maybe it would be worth upgrading to it to fix this problem.

BaldieJr
10-31-2005, 12:39 PM
turn the camera to the right a few degrees and hit F12

blakduk
10-31-2005, 04:53 PM
"ar****e-I have a TrackIR2 and, while I like it very much, it has one issue that annoys me. It does not consistently track well when I look to the right. I calibrate and position it carefully before I launch FB/PF and it typically seems to work fine initially, but as I get into furballs it just does not pan further to the right than about 90 degrees -- i.e. looking straight down my wing. I use a baseball cap with the reflector tape on the bill. It almost never has a problem looking left. It seems it is pretty sensitive to how close I am to it and if there is any body lean at all"

I found when i first got my TrackIR3 that i had a similar problem. It turned out i had the unit too close. The best way to check the tracking is to open the 'View/ tracking' drop-down menu. Look at the display of the tracking and check that the TrackIR can still see the tracking dot/dots when you move. I also found that where i have the unit set up, at certain times of the day sunlight was reflecting off the wall behind me interfering with it.

"Jaras-Is it really good to save bucks and get the regular version instead the pro version (120FPS).

Is there a noticable diffrence between TrackIR 80FPS and 120FPS in the game?
What if game's FPS goes over 80FPS, will regular version of TrackIR loose tracking?"

I can only speak of my experience with the TrackIR3 pro.
The FPS for the game display is independent of the FPS for the trackIR- for the trackIR it means it tracks the dot more smoothly. The unit is basically an infrared camera that tracks the reflected IR light on the dot. The quoted FPS rate for the trackIR refers to the update of the dot tracking by the camera. In very simple terms it has the same effect as a more sensitive/accurate mouse.
Reviews i have read give the pro version the thumbs-up.
I also suggest with these purchases to future-proof as much as you can afford. The vector expansion isnt supported by the current Il2 series for 6DOF but the promised new incarnation of the IL2 series (BOB) will.

arjisme
10-31-2005, 08:56 PM
I appreciate the helpful advice. I have always verified the tracking in the tracking view and accounted for false signals from other light sources.

I got things working a lot better tonight though. I tried BaldieJr's advice, which helped a little. The real difference was I changed the smoothing setting on the Motion view to be fully to the left (it was fully to the right). That, plus observing the tracking on the Motion view instead of the Tracking view and adjusting position a little got it to track in all directions well. I flew a couple of test missions and it was so much better being able to check six over my right shoulder! I used to have to favor left turns because of my previous view problems. Now I am able to turn either direction w/o losing sight.

Enforcer572005
11-13-2005, 09:12 PM
I just got a -3pro, and am still adapting to it, quite well i may add.....i really like this thing. Most of the problems i was having wiht jerkiness and oversensitivity were taken care of by using the dead zone variant of the motion section and the smoothness thingy being moved to the right alot (my terminology is lousy).

However, i found that i still need a bit more of a dead zone in the horizontal axis (thats still x isnt it?). Ive got enough vertically, but i really need more horizontally, as its just too tiny and i keep losing my opponents, and i cant land anymore without pranging my kite (im not British, i just play one in a flight sim).

The tutorials etc ive found (like Toad's nifty threads) seem to be a bit dated, and the interface has some differences; i dont see anything anymore about filters etc. I just need to find some info on increasing the dead zone in the horizontal plane (that's left and right for those educated in my home state of Ga).

A point in the general direction of some updated info on that would be nice. I can still shoot bad guys down, i just cant land anymore.And its just impossible to keep my head totally still when im lining up on a runway.
thanx.....

Stoyanov
11-14-2005, 01:42 AM
I tryed both pro and non pro, there was no difference on my PC. But if u buy Vector U'll see the improvement.

Stoyanov
11-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Stoyanov:
I tryed both pro and non pro, there was no difference on my PC. But if u buy Vector U'll see the improvement.
My game ussualy runs between 40-50fps...

Enforcer572005
11-14-2005, 10:32 PM
cool, ill have to put that in my virtual defence budget. Im kinda wondering if there are any updated instructions on such adjustments that i mentioned, especially increasing the dead zone. im getting pretty good in dogfihgts, but im crashing on 70% of my landings because it seems like the forward view keeps getting jerked around. A little more dead zone horizontally would help that, and my experimenting hasnt found that little nugget of info yet. I definitely need the vector thingy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ronison
11-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Another thing to concider when deciding to go 3 or 3 Pro is how long the product will be supported. In other words how long will we get updates for the unit. In general most companys will support the newest and greatest the longest and drop older products from the support line first.

Being 3 and 3 Pro may be almost the same unit this may not be the case but my money went to a 3 Pro, 3 days before the announcement of the TrakIR 4 (LOL) just in case.

bun-bun195333
11-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Enforcer572005:
cool, ill have to put that in my virtual defence budget. Im kinda wondering if there are any updated instructions on such adjustments that i mentioned, especially increasing the dead zone. im getting pretty good in dogfihgts, but im crashing on 70% of my landings because it seems like the forward view keeps getting jerked around. A little more dead zone horizontally would help that, and my experimenting hasnt found that little nugget of info yet. I definitely need the vector thingy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

A TrackIR Thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/5391032963/r/3891032963#3891032963)

Enforcer572005
11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
thank you ....this is pretty muchwhat i was searching for...i think. Ill give it a try. I have no idea why that thread didnt show up wiht hte others when i did my search thingy for such. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif