PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play Catch Up.

knightflyte
08-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Well....... It comes down to determine if I need some piloting skills sharpened OR there is something wrong.

I've not flown IL2/PF for over a month. I have 4.01 installed and am comfortable with the flight models.

As a warm up I have a QMB saved that pits me in an La7 against 4 FW 190s and 4 He 111s. No problemo.

I sometimes have a difficulty catching the FWs but I usually do with a dive and the inertia keeps me going.

When I go into Single missions (nevermind a pilot career) I can't catch a thing. I'll clearly have altitude advantage, but I still never catch them. I make my manuevers smoothly. I try not to yank and bank, but no avail.

I'm in a Mustang B flying against Me 109's I cant catch em. I switch to the Me 109 and try to catch the Mustang. nope. no go. (65 hundred meters)

No matter WHAT plane I chose whether from the IJN or the RAF to the RU I can't catch my foe.

I fly full real with exception of map icons and plane icons.

So......any pointers? Am I using mixture correctly? The higher I go the leaner the mix, right?

I know there are variables that are determined by plane and altitude...... but the only sucess I have is in the above mentioned QMB. I use the same QMB with a Spit (43 clipped wing)... and I can't catch up.

What's the deal? Is it me and can you give a few pointers. I'm offline only.

regards,
knightflyte

p1ngu666
08-28-2005, 08:03 PM
press W?

NorrisMcWhirter
08-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi,

Offline, it's sometimes tricker to 'catch' the AI planes as they will extend then try to roll beneath you but always keeping a distance of about 0.9km.

The AI is still easy to kill, they just go about their predictable routines in a slightly different way.

Ta,
Norris

Kuna15
08-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by knightflyte:
When I go into Single missions (nevermind a pilot career) I can't catch a thing. I'll clearly have altitude advantage, but I still never catch them. I make my manuevers smoothly. I try not to yank and bank, but no avail.

I'm in a Mustang B flying against Me 109's I cant catch em. I switch to the Me 109 and try to catch the Mustang. nope. no go. (65 hundred meters)

I wont disagree with you but I don't had so much problems. AI seems to be lightning fast in many cases but it can be catched.

Take Bf-109K-4 vs. Spitfire MK.9c and try to catch it, you should not have major problems. Also Mustang MK.3 vs. Bf-109G-6 (LATE) you should be able to catch it...

You said Mustang B vs. Bf-109s? You should engage them on high alt and also what kind of Bf-109s were you engaged?

The AI is still easy to kill, they just go about their predictable routines in a slightly different way.

All in all I agree completely with Norris about his remarks on AI.

Pirschjaeger
08-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by p1ngu666:
press W?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif That's rude! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Raise gear and flaps? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
08-28-2005, 08:36 PM
I have the same problems; the AI are always faster.

Even my own side. When I take off it takes me so long to catch up with my own formation. It has always been this way.

Fritz

woofiedog
08-29-2005, 06:04 AM
Easy on the Stick & keeping up your speed with a little Engine Management... also Patients... they'll make a wrong turn or etc. and lose Speed. Almost 80% of the time.

knightflyte
08-29-2005, 08:24 AM
I was hoping it was something I was doing wrong with engine management or something. I never had problems with AI being so much faster than me before 4.1. (I'm not saying that was or wasn't more realistic) I'm careful with my trim so I don't think It's that. The only thing I can think of is engine management being more critical.

I agree too with Norris that the AI is predictable. So I'll alter my attacks accordingly by 'cutting' into them in their arc to gain a distance advantage. I'll get to about .40km and try to get to the allusive convergence distance before opening up on 'em. but NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo (to quote John Bellushi) They Zoom up to .6....to 7.....to9 .......to 1.1. extremely fast. Then I get alt advantage, gain speed and start it all again.

Oh well. Anytips on engine management or anything else that can help would be appreciated.

I could see if I was mismatching myself with uneven plane sets but I always set up planes in the same time frame. Clipped wing Spit '43 verses FW A5 '43.

Pirschjaeger
08-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Tips on engine management? I use what the AI uses; auto. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Seems to work well for them.

Fritz

danjama
08-29-2005, 11:33 AM
In the P51 make sure your stepping the supercharger up to 2 at around 3000 metres.

danjama
08-29-2005, 11:34 AM
also if they are about .50 away which they often are, spray a little 50 cal at em. This makes em start go crazy and youll find they make stupid maneuvres where they lose speed and u can catch em.

knightflyte
08-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks danjama, I shall be persistant.

carguy_
08-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Just make sure you make`em follow your turn.Fast planes don`t turn,they just roll a bit for a snapshot,if they miss,they fly straight.

You need to force them to make some E bleed maneuvers.

p1ngu666
08-29-2005, 06:16 PM
the supercharger on later merlins is automatic, done by barimetric pressure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

FlatSpinMan
08-29-2005, 08:04 PM
About spraying at the traget to get them doing weird stuff, you guys noticed that they now (always?) shimmy and roll from side to side for quite long periods? Makes it quite hard to hit them in the short term but is a losing propostion for them in the end. Looks weird and I've seen bombers doing it too.

===========================================

Pirschjaeger
08-29-2005, 08:29 PM
You can't see it but there's a thin flexible wire connected from your trigger at one end and the other end to the ailerons of the AI(ace) planes. They are not mind readers as some would have you believe.

When you are chasing the AI ace straight and level and he's gaining distance, fire a short burst but not directly on his 6. Aim a couple meters of his right wing.

It used to annoy me so much that they would bank as soon as you touch your trigger. Now, after realizing where to aim, I love it. Now they turn into my bullets.

Fritz

Xiolablu3
08-29-2005, 08:55 PM
What a strange problem http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I cant say I have ever had a proble, are you using combat flaps or raised??

Combat flaps will slow you down, I rarely use them.

Try and make sure you have a height advantage when you are about to engage them for the first time and keep your energy and speed up through the fight as much as you can. Inevitably you will loose it through the fight so at that time try and disengage and climb to get it back.

I cant say I've ever had this problem and I used to fly offline a lot using Lowengrins DCG.