PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Evade - Help! (NYGM 2.0)

mwestman
08-14-2006, 09:52 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif For 12 hours now I can€t escape one lone DD. I have tried being deep and shallow, silent running, and flank speed after getting dropped on to escape the search pattern. I have tried minimizing my aspect to the DD as suggested in the NYGM 2.0 manual, but nothing works. I am running out of battery and air.

My battery is <50%, CO2 is 2.5%, the seas are calm and it is daylight. It is 1942 in the Med with a VIIC on her maiden voyage.

Celeon999
08-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Go on with silent running and change your course every time the DD passed you.

There is still hope that he will loose you http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Just hang on http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

tuddley3
08-14-2006, 10:40 AM
I have same problem, and just when I think I've lost him, 2 twalers and more warships show up. My luck sucks. And then they never get far enough away for me to launch any fish at them.

My thinking is to downgrade to RUB or IUB from GW1.0, it's almost to hard for a novice Captain such as I.

Messervy
08-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Before you throw in a towel guys....go deep, silent runing AND ADJUST YOUR SPEED MANUALY ON 1 OR TWO KNOTS!

HW3
08-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Yes, adjust your speed to 1 knot, 2 knots if you have to change depth but, no higher or they will hear you.

minsc_tdp
08-14-2006, 05:17 PM
I thought I read somewhere that when turning, if you just use the regular turning using the compass, it turns full speed. If you manually turn by moving the rudder a few degrees at a time, it creates less turbulence in the water which can be detected.

I'm in the middle of a Career with a VIIC and don't have too much trouble dodging destroyers. I go as deep as possible, silent, minimum speed (even 3 kts is OK) and make very tiny turns every so often to keep him guessing.

If I go completely still, eventually I'll get active pinged and get DC'd into dust. Gotta keep moving.

HW3
08-14-2006, 05:33 PM
If you turn using the compass you are still ok. It is when you turn using the turns from the engineers panel that the engines will go to flank speed. Believe me silent running and being deep, using the NYGM mod, is not enough to evade. You have to run at not over 2 knots or they will find you.

TooFastForLove.
08-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Being pounded for 12 hours? I thought the enemy anti u-boat forces in this sim have limited depth charges. As I once learned after getting pounded for 2.5 hours and the bugger finally left me alone and sailed off. I assumed he was out of ammo?

Is there a mod or something that made them unlimited?

Or is it multiple ships attacking you?

mwestman
08-14-2006, 08:01 PM
No, I didn't experience unlimited DCs. The Hunter did run out but continued to make dry passes over me. Finally low on batteries and air I had to surface and take him on with the deck gun, which was suicide as expected.

I started a new patrol and found myself in the same situation -- Calm seas and unable to shake the Hunter. What I did this time was wait at 20 meters for the DD to pass over with zero aspect, I went full speed to periscope depth and launched 4 torps as he was circling around for another pass. I was surprised to have 3 of the torps hit him. Boom-Boom-Boom. I surfaced and went on my merry way.

A happy ending this time, but I can't seem to shake these DDs when the seas are calm. I do use the suggested tactics of changing course and silent running at 1 kts. I hope I can evade easier when the seas are more rough.

hueywolf123
08-14-2006, 09:09 PM
For future reference,
The default built into the game for DD persistence is 40mins. If he picks you up again at 39mins, 59secs - the 40mins will start again and so-on. If you get to 40mins (real time) without being detected, he will turn away. This is danger time, stay absolutely still, no noise, no turns and at max depth. Have the hydro-boy listen to nearest warship contact. For this is when you'll need to wait another 40mins. If you are on 1 - 2kts, your battery should last a lot longer.
Oh a good hint is, if your CE is hunched over the plane-boys, there is somebody lurking nearby, if he is standing tall again, at silent go to p-depth, do a sweep with peri, if nothing there, you have been successful.
For the next time Herr Kaluen, good luck, lpease let us know how you get on http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Sgt_Hatcher
08-15-2006, 06:37 PM
I agree that you should maintain a speed of two knots or less when being hunted. The difference in noise between 3knts and 2knts is dramatic. The increase in range is also dramatic. I have patrolled submerged for 24 hours at 2 knots, after which the battery charge was 85%. With the Mak800 batteries, the time required on the surface to recharge was only an hour or so. The only limit at this speed is the CO2 level, but it recharges very quickly once you are at the surface.

Of course, the exception to the 'go slow' rule is when the DC's are dropping. If they are falling near you, take advantage of the noise and the fact that your are now in the attacking ship's blind spot (the stern). Use flank speed to change depth and heading before the attacking ship can turn enough to get the hydrophones and sonar turned back in your direction.

However, if the depth charges are distant, keep running slow and silent. Don't be fooled into giving away your position by running at flank speed every time you hear 'depth charges in the water'. To avoid giving yourself away, have the hydrophone operator track the attacking ship. If it is not above you, then ignore the attacks and proceed with your escape at slow, silent, speed.

Finally, if you are being hunted by 2 or more ships, keep in mind that even though the attacking ship is blind once you are in it's wake following a DC attack, the second ship will be able to hear you the entire time (except for DC explosions). In a situation like this your only hope to run silent, slow, and deep.