PDA

View Full Version : track outa wack

M2morris
04-16-2006, 09:26 AM
I shot down two Japanese fighters yesterday and by chance they both ended up crashing at the same exact moment and close to eachother. I made sure I saved that track for screen shots but when I watched it it shows my F4U shooting at nothing in the sky seemingly chasing a ghost and sending rounds out into empty space as the two planes I HAD shot down now escape and start a whole new moment of history and nothing near what actually took place. I wonder what causes tracks to sometimes get screwed up like that, is there any way to stop that from happening?

VW-IceFire
04-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Was it a TRK or a NTRK? Usually NTRK is more reliable as it records positions and events rather than a loose collection of items running the FM and AI routines over again.

major_setback
04-16-2006, 04:11 PM
It's explained in this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m...761078134#4761078134 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4761078134/r/4761078134#4761078134)

M2morris
04-16-2006, 07:32 PM
I dont know Icefire, I just hit save track. I geuss I'll have to learn about TRK and NTRK cause I dont know squat about em, and thanks Majorsetback for the link. I will use the info fighter jocks.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/planegeek/f4usun.jpg

Hoatee
04-17-2006, 05:44 AM
Thanks from me, too. I'll definitely give this a bash - make it part of my routine now to hit record during mission instead of saving as track afterwards (if I haven't misunderstood the info provided in the link).

Saved tracks in QMB will still play back normally though, but not in FMB. That's as far as I got from messing around.

Tully__
04-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Here's the info in considerably more detail.

.trk file: This format is used when you use the "Save Track" button in the debrief screen after the mission ends. It is not available in online use. This format records the mission start conditions (mission file) and the players control movements during the entire mission. Playback relies on the fact that the AI always respond the same way to the same circumstances. When you play back the mission, the game simply loads the mission file and "flys" the player's aicraft using the recorded player control movements.
The benefit of this scheme is comparitively small file size for the recording. The down side is that it is not suitable for recording online missions (it relies on all aircraft other than the players responding as AI would) and it is extremely sensitive to any factors that might alter the timing of the control inputs.
Use of Pause, time slowing or time compression during the recording is guaranteed to mess up the timing. Other factors that can (but don't always) affect timing are:
- Other programs running in background
- A PC with marginal performance that is not quite coping with the game load
- Swap file access during recording/playback
In fact, just about anything that interrupts smooth gameplay. From the point at which timing is disturbed, the playback will diverge further and further from the events in the original mission for the remainder of the recording.

.ntrk file: This format is used when using the keyboard or ESC menu "Stop/Start Quick Record" controls during a mission. It records the starting position/condition of all objects in the mission at the time the recording is started and the ongoing speed/direction/position/damage/attitude attitude information for all objects at small intervals for the duration of the recording. Benefits are compatibility with multiplay, continuous error correction for deviations from the original mission, downside is much larger file size. This format is also subject to small errors, but due to the ongoing data updates on ALL objects the deviation never diverges much from the original. Further, because damage is recorded and not calculated from playback conditions, anything that died or survived the original will die or survive in the playback (even if the shots that killed it appear to miss by a small amount in the playback).
Another oddity is that if two players in a multiplay server make .ntrk recordings of the same missions, the two recordings will show slightly different versions of what took place. This is caused by the differing pings for each player causing each players machine to show a slightly different version of what took place in the original mission.

.ntrk is on average a more accurate recording, but a good .trk is more accurate than a good .ntrk.