PDA

View Full Version : warping

Codger1949
08-07-2006, 03:20 PM
I know it when I see it, some guy zipping across my screen at light speed. But what is it, causes it, etc. Some charactor accused me of deliberately warping by pressing the print scrn key. I had no idea what the devil he was talking about.

thefruitbat
08-07-2006, 03:27 PM
warping is caused in the main by lag. could be for loads of different reasons.

As for the print screen thing, i think people used to use this as an exploit when they were just about to get shot at to cause a slight 'lag' to evade. Not sure if it works.

as for the guy who accused you, hes just probally lame at the game.

cheers fruitbat

VW-IceFire
08-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Print Screen cheating is usually noticeable over the usual warping. This is the guy who hammers down on the print screen button whenever someone gets on his tail. You can tell because the warping only lasts for a short period of time and its always consistently long.

Regular warping is just the internet at work.

Crash_Moses
08-07-2006, 05:15 PM
And if you're on dial-up it happens whenever the modem tries to negotiate a better connection.

It helps to enable the v.34 protocol and turn off compression and error control (your ISP should already provide those features anyway...but some don't). Unfortunately this drops your baud rate down to 28.8 or 33.6 (depending on your modem). This solution helped my connection immensely.

If your modem is a U.S. Robotics or compatible then adding s32=98 to the initialization string should do the trick. If you're using broadband...sorry...no tricks up my sleeve there.

Also, if you have Norton Anti-virus or Internet Security the automatic update feature can also wreak havoc with your connection.

Codger1949
08-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys. There seems to always be someway to cheat a little in these online games. I never heard of that trick until today. I still wont exploit it, not because I'm honerable, simply because if I can't beat a guy with skill than I proved nothing by beating him by cheating, if that makes any sense. I got Cox cable. This server was in Europe someplace and I'm in Arizona which is probably why he saw me zipping about. I was either laggy or lossy. Hells bells he shot me down about 3 times in a row. Don't know what he had to complain about. Going Warp 9 wasn't doing me a bit of good.

VW-IceFire
08-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Not to worry about it. Most people don't mind the odd warping. Its pretty normal to see it.

gdfo
08-08-2006, 04:09 AM
There is also warping caused by the use of a utility that will temporarily speed up a computer. The user has an assigned key to hit when they want to speed up. The net effect is to boost the speed of the users interface.

I have seen planes pull away in short bursts of speed and make ridiculous climbs.

TgD Thunderbolt56
08-08-2006, 10:28 AM
LOL...I have never used the PrScrn exploit since I've been playing this series. Funny thing is, about a week ago I had some guy just ranting like a 9 year old about how I was using it and wouldn't shut up. The reason I say it's funny is because the driver set I'm using doesn't allow me to use PrScrn to capture images. It just simply doesn't work. When I want to capture images I start up FRAPS.

TB

gdfo
08-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Another thing that I have noticed is that on some servers when there is alot of actions and slow frame rates a screen can literaly lock up and look like a warp. I think that some vid cards and processors cannot handle some info fast enough. Some servers are better than others but it also depends on the action.

DIRTY-MAC
08-09-2006, 04:56 PM
if you have a crappy computer that also makes lag
im playing on a 1,7mghz 512ram intergrated graphic card and I get this 14 sec freezes
all the tim, it has gone so bad I can no longer play online http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

gdfo
08-10-2006, 04:58 AM
Hey Dirty Mac,

How did you even get IL to play on that.

I tried to play IL on my older Pentium 4 1.6 512 ram and it barely ran the game at all.

Tully__
08-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Warping is the result of information from the machine on which the warping aicraft is being flown being delayed or going missing en route to the server (one plane warping) or information from the server being delayed or going missing en route to a client (all planes warping). When information is late or missing, the server or the viewer's computer will continue to extrapolate the last known control inputs of the "target" aicraft until an update is received or the connection times out. Once fresh information about current position/speed/attitude is received, the server/client machines smoothly "warp" the affected aircraft into their correct positions.

In some older games there were much weirder affects. For example, instead of smoothly warping to a corrected position giving other players a chance to see in what general direction it will now be found, some older games would erase the "target" from it's incorrect location and regenerate it in the correct location (beam me up scotty http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif). For the current technology, warping is in my opinion the best of a bad bunch of solutions to lost or delayed net packets.

Edit: Possible causes:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> The PC from which the information is being sent is busy doing other stuff or not fast/powerful enough to run the game smoothly and sometimes can't send packets when it should. Includes things like page file access due to not enough RAM, other applications running in background hogging network or CPU resources (comms for example, though rarely the case on broadband connections), PrintScreen.
<LI> The connection used by the source PC is being flooded by other traffic or the upload speed is not sufficient for the game. Includes things like comms, your flatmate starting a large pR0n download, another PC in the house starting virus or windows update downloads.
<LI> The connection used by the source PC is subject to interferance. Rural dialup connections are often susceptible to things like electrical storms, worn or cheap electric motors near the line and other generic electrical noise. In some case wireless LANs may also be subject to certain types of radio noise
<LI> At some point betweent the source PC and the server (single plane) or the server and the destination PC (all planes) there is general congestion on the itnernet slowing or interrupting traffic.
<LI> The mission being run by the server is too demanding for the hardware and the server is not able to send updates to clients on schedule. Rare or non-existent on the better known ded servers.
<LI> The upload speed for the server internet connection is not up to the demands and some traffic is delayed. Rare or non-existent on the better known ded servers.[/list]

As can be seen, only a very small number of these causes could be considered deliberate cheating. Even the PrintScreen one may be done by someone who is unaware of the impact on network performance and is simply trying to grab a good pic.

Codger1949
08-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Wow. Nice explanation. Good job. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif