PDA

View Full Version : Waves on screen, help please

Daniel39363
08-04-2009, 09:08 AM
I got a new computer about eight months ago and this game ran perfectly fine. I haven't reformatted it since then. When I play il2 sturmovik 1946, about twenty minutes after I start playing these horizontal waves appear in the middle of the screen and run from the top to the bottom of the screen. When I restart the game they appear about thirty seconds after I start playing. They are on the loading menu and everything, not just while playing. I checked the temperature of my graphics card directly after seeing them appear, it was 62 degrees celsius. I did install new graphics card drivers since I was running the game eight months ago. I have an ati radeon 3450 (I am almost certain the problem is not with the graphics drivers because I was able to play fine about two months ago, and there has only been two driver updates since then). Thanks for the help.

SILVERFISH1992
08-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Well your not flying strait. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

megalopsuche
08-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm no tech guru but 61C sounds hot. Then again, I looked at some customer reviews for your card and most say it runs warm.

What sort of psu do you have?

Daniel39363
08-04-2009, 09:38 AM
my processor is 2.6 ghz dual core, so I don't think it should be a problem.

na85
08-04-2009, 09:46 AM
PSU = power supply unit.

How many watts?

Daniel39363
08-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't know, I'm not that techy. I know though that I can play Empire total war (very graphicy game) perfectly fine without waves or stuff like that. I might just try reinstalling the game.

SILVERFISH1992
08-04-2009, 10:25 AM
If its on 32 bit try changing it to 16 bit and see what happens.

AndyJWest
08-04-2009, 10:38 AM
What sort of monitor are you using? If it's an old CRT, rather than a flatscreen LCD or whatever, it could be the monitor itself: they are sometimes prone to this sort of problem.

Edit ----

I see you say the computer is new, so it is unlikely to be CRT: should have read your original post more carefully...

K_Freddie
08-04-2009, 12:13 PM
You PC would still be under warrantee, that's if you bought a new one.

If you have an older CRT screen ask them to check the tubes vertical sweep(This is not the same as the vertical sync).

If you have an LCD screen, you might find that you vertical sync is slightly out, Check to see if you're running your graphics card at the screens 'native resolution and refresh/sync rate'.

Also try change your IL2 screen res settings to something else - you might find that your current settings are slightly off from your screen 'native' settings, and what you're seeing is the difference between the two.
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Waldo.Pepper
08-05-2009, 01:26 AM
A test.

When the wavy lines appear exit the game.
Then reboot windows WITHOUT turning the computer off.
Then restart the game immediately after you reboot.
Do the wavy lines appear right away - or does it take time to reappear as before?

This test is intended to see if the problem occurs right away again - and is intended to determine if a build up of heat is to blame.