PDA

View Full Version : Refuelling in FB ? Oleg or Tech team, plz read.

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 03:51 PM
Hello again... i was thinking about something.

Isn't it possible to add a small area on each airfield (near fuel tanks) to refuel our planes. It would give our coops a longer time life if we can survive them.

Maybe adding a repair area too ??

CFS2 had these 2 caracteristics, i think it would be interesting to have them both, or at least Re Fuelling. Maybe when we get close by a Fuel truck or something like that. It would be quite fun to land, refuel and take off if our planes still in good conditions, instead of quitting our missions (Coops).

S~

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 03:51 PM
Hello again... i was thinking about something.

Isn't it possible to add a small area on each airfield (near fuel tanks) to refuel our planes. It would give our coops a longer time life if we can survive them.

Maybe adding a repair area too ??

CFS2 had these 2 caracteristics, i think it would be interesting to have them both, or at least Re Fuelling. Maybe when we get close by a Fuel truck or something like that. It would be quite fun to land, refuel and take off if our planes still in good conditions, instead of quitting our missions (Coops).

S~

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 04:00 PM
I think it would be even more fun in multiplayer online. When you get hit, you just land and get repaired and ready to fly again! And make penalty for pressing refly.

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 04:08 PM
That's what i ment too. Well for all kind of Multiplayer, but especially Coops, where you get low on Fuel, just land , refuel and take off.

S~

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 05:51 PM
It was taking half an hour or more to refuel and rearm the plane. Are you willing to wait this long before take-off?

AKA_Bogun

---------------
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

- Tom Clancy

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 06:11 PM
I think you've been playing another game too long.

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Hi Bogun,

Did pilots in WW2 hit the ESC key and then magically change airfields, planes and even sides in a matter of seconds? Surely the ability to have an unrealistically fast re-arm and re-fuel isn't that bad in comparison to what we have to do just now?

McN
PS I like your sig.

Bogun wrote:
- It was taking half an hour or more to refuel and
- rearm the plane. Are you willing to wait this long
- before take-off?
-
- AKA_Bogun
-
----------------
- The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction
- has to make sense.
-
-- Tom Clancy
-

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Just imagine - instead of instant re-arm and re-fuel by pressing "Escape" key you are jumping into another ready to fly plane, prepared for you by the ground crew.

It is more "realistic" then even one minute re-arm and re-fuel, don't you agree?

AKA_Bogun

---------------

- Tom Clancy

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 11:12 PM
Bogun wrote:
- Just imagine - instead of instant re-arm and re-fuel
- by pressing "Escape" key you are jumping into
- another ready to fly plane, prepared for you by the
- ground crew.
-
- It is more "realistic" then even one minute re-arm
- and re-fuel, don't you agree?
-
Good point. I guess what I want though is to do what you describe by pressing a single key rather than pressing ESC to a menu, pressing "refly", and then
pressing the "fly" button.

McN

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 03:45 AM
Agree, Imagine seeing your fuel gauge going up in your cockpit, while you wait to take off. It's somewhat MORE realistic than pressing escape as some said. I also think the same way.

CFS2 had it...isn't sims suposed to improve with time ? or just go back to mid ages maybe ?

I know that in WWI it may have taken 30 minutes to fill a plane, but taking a minute in FB would be ok to me, it's more realistic than pressing esc. Well up to you guys but i'm voting for the realisim..

S~

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 08:36 AM
Bogun wrote:
- Just imagine - instead of instant re-arm and re-fuel
- by pressing "Escape" key you are jumping into
- another ready to fly plane, prepared for you by the
- ground crew.
-

That would be cool! He could get out the plane and run, just like he does after a bail out, except he runs into the next plane, and closes the hatch!

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 09:09 AM
WUAF_Gen_Falco wrote:

- I know that in WWI it may have taken 30 minutes to
- fill a plane, but taking a minute in FB would be ok
- to me, it's more realistic than pressing esc. Well
- up to you guys but i'm voting for the realisim..

Me too, I vote for realism. Keep the esc, 1 minute reafuel is NOT realistic.

Esc is equivalent of finishing one flight, and heading to mess hall, new plane, whatever. How realistic is it to fly multiple flights in quick succession anyway like normally happens in dogfight arenas?

-jippo

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 10:51 AM
- Me too, I vote for realism. Keep the esc, 1 minute
- reafuel is NOT realistic.
-
You're missing the point. I'm voting for realism too - but we're actually disagreeing about how we approximate reality. There was no ESC key that led to a menu in real WW2 planes and seeing such a menu is a big reality hit in my opinion - bigger than hitting a key and instantly appearing in a new plane.

- Esc is equivalent of finishing one flight, and
- heading to mess hall, new plane, whatever. How
- realistic is it to fly multiple flights in quick
- succession anyway like normally happens in dogfight
- arenas?
-
At the height of the battle of britain a pilot could fly several combat sorites a day with a turn around time that was short. Cerainly I read one report where a spitfire was at 10,000 feet engaging enemy fighters, then landed, refueled and re-armed and returned to combat at 10,000 feet or so - all less than one hour. What I'd like is to do that with a time skip on the ground rather than visiting a menu.

McN

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 01:04 PM
Sounds good mcnalu !!

S~

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 01:22 PM
Perhaps we, and Oleg and co. should bear the following in mind when considering the reality of the use of the ESC key.

"Nietzsche agrees with Heraclytus that reality is a continual state of becoming, and is not a state of being,
re-arming, re-fueling or pressing the ESC key. Reality is never constant; it is always changing. Reality consists of plurality, rather than unity and duration of ground-crew procedures. However, he disagrees with Heraclytus in that our senses may falsily reality. Nietzsche believes reason is what distorts our perception of the world, because reason is the one that can falsify the evidence of our senses. The only 'real' world is the one apparent to our senses, or as Plato would call it the world of Forms. To divide the world into two worlds, the world of particulars and the world of Forms, is to deny that what is apparent to us is real -is to deny life."

Can you guess what my contribution to this quotation could be? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

McN

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 03:37 PM
waterinthefuel wrote:
-
- Bogun wrote:
-- Just imagine - instead of instant re-arm and re-fuel
-- by pressing "Escape" key you are jumping into
-- another ready to fly plane, prepared for you by the
-- ground crew.
--
-
-
- That would be cool! He could get out the plane and
- run, just like he does after a bail out, except he
- runs into the next plane, and closes the hatch!
-
-
I was trying to advocate what we already have, but you <u>waterinthefuel</u> who really came up with the great idea!

This would be extremely cool to have some kind of animation filling in the delay in Re-fly routing - open cockpit, still be exposed to enemy action while running to another plane, climb in and close cockpit, preflight, take-off...

It still need to be though through - like were do you re-spawn the new plane?
How far do you run, from one end of the airfield to another end, where planes are parked?
It could be complicated and hard to programm.

AKA_Bogun

---------------

- Tom Clancy

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 03:57 PM
Well, to answer your question, the new plane can respawn right next to the old one. How far should he run? Well based on pictures of airfields from WW2, not far. Less than 50 feet, I'm sure.

It wouldn't be hard to program. If they can make a sim like this, a simple idea like mine isn't going to stump them.

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 03:57 PM
rgr Bogun, we will never see a pilot runnig out while his plane is refuelling up. As you said, it would be too complicated and imagine the pilot runnig through the runway, while planes takeoff &/or lands.

Just making the plane refuelling while you wait, in your cockpit would be great. The only 'animation' would be to see your gauge going from empty to full again.
That would be enough to me.

For the repairs, well maybe we could only get FEW repairs, the fastest repairs on a plane would be the ailerons, rudder, elevator trims to be changed, fule tank holes repaired.

The holes in the cockpit could stay as they are no need to repair 'Optional stuff'

The bigger damages you got, the longest it takes, i don't know how they could make it but sure thing is.. it would be quite exiting, better than pressing ESC.

For those who likes ESC, maybe just putting an option for ReFuel & Repairs: On or Off. Then if they chose OFF, they just press ESC.

That would be the best of both worlds.

S~

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 04:27 PM
I've never understood the desire to waste development effort to implement a feature to do something in 5 seconds when the game already supports doing the very same thing in 10 seconds. Are attention spans that pathetically short?

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 04:39 PM
Well, if you don't like it, it's your choice but many people would like it cuz it would be more thrilling and realistic.

S~

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Sounds good, plane should rearm, repair and refuel on airfield because pressing esc is discusting

XyZspineZyX
09-26-2003, 10:54 PM
Well just get to the respawn location to repair.. then go back up. If you want to register your kills for points..just respawn. Would be fine.. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

rgr, just pressing ESC is discusting compared to refuelling & repair but some people like it anyway.

S~

eskimo-FHmod
09-27-2003, 12:25 AM
refuel and or rearm doesnt matter to me as long as we can have a refly option for coops.
i think that is what this thread is mainly about or should be about.

coops are the most fun, yet, you only get one set of wings.
i want to create bigger scenarios. at the moment what is the point in having a flight spawn time delayed when 15 minutes into each mission people run out of fuel and ammo ?

coop needs refly or refuel/rearm badly !

www.vaaf.com (http://www.strikemepink.com)

XyZspineZyX
09-27-2003, 12:58 AM
This has been discussed quite a bit before. Oleg has stated, several times I do believe, that he isn't going to add it as he also feels the Esc and Refly peform this function.

So, much like the 190 view thing, it is a moot point...

XyZspineZyX
09-27-2003, 01:19 PM
rgr, i agree that maybe he will not add this feature in FB cuz ESC does the job, but many people thinks it's a good idea. Maybe he should look at it closer. If it's not too hard to script, why not !?

S~