PDA

View Full Version : Can Not Award Medals and Promotions

Robertr4836
07-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I searched the forum and found some hits on this but no answers (I'm wondering if I have to scrap this career and start over?)

I just bought the game and I just finished the 9th patrol of my first career. The first summery screen stated that I had sunk 0 tons. The second summery screen showed the tonnage of the five allied merchants I had sunk and the one plane I had shot down. It also stated that I had received an award and that I had medals and promotions to award.

At the promotions screen the paper to click for promotions and awards is not clickable and all I can do is exit the screen. On exit the area to click on the U-Boat for upgrades is unclickable.

I didn't dock at any other bases (left my base, finished patrol, sunk ships until original load of torpedoes was exhausted, went back to home port -- just like the last eight times when everything worked).

I saw some thread about corrupted career files. Do I have to scrap this career and start over? (The games going to be a lot less fun if I can't hand out medals, promotions and qualifications anymore!)

Foehammer-1
07-16-2006, 09:33 AM
You might have to bite the bullet and scrap the career. Hey, at least you are not in 1944 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But for the last resort, are you in Kiel? That port seemed to cause problems with my careers when docking at it.

hueywolf123
07-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Is this the stock standard version? You may need to download the latest patch for the game as this irons out a few of those annoying bugs. Go to the SHIII site and look for the latest update. This exact same thing was happening to me, but out of Lorient

Robertr4836
07-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by hueywolf123:
Is this the stock standard version? You may need to download the latest patch for the game as this irons out a few of those annoying bugs. Go to the SHIII site and look for the latest update. This exact same thing was happening to me, but out of Lorient

Stock but I updated everything before I started the first game.

Robertr4836
07-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
You might have to bite the bullet and scrap the career. Hey, at least you are not in 1944 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But for the last resort, are you in Kiel? That port seemed to cause problems with my careers when docking at it.

I think I figured it out. I started a new patrol to see what would happen and I had a "null" mission switching my base from Wilhelmshaven to Brest. I bet at the end of the last patrol I was supposed to dock at Brest but I didn't notice it so when I went "home" to Wilhelmshaven I was actually not docking at my homebase so I lost all the promotions, medals and the qualification for that patrol. (My best guess anyway...five more patrols and everything is working like should).

hueywolf123
07-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Ok, that sounds like the business. Remember to read all radio messages as they come in, most are the usual guff, but sometimes you get a convoy sighting, sometimes your home base is changed. It can save fuel too, by stopping for a couple of seconds to read the rm before proceeding. To be told to dock at Lorient when your up near Heligoland at the end of a mission can be a real bummer

Robertr4836
07-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by hueywolf123:
Remember to read all radio messages as they come in, most are the usual guff, but sometimes you get a convoy sighting, sometimes your home base is changed.

You can get a radio message to change your home base mid-patrol? That actually makes me feel a lot better about the loss of awards. I took some depth charge damage early on in the patrol that destroyed my radio so, if I had been sent a change base message, I never would have been aware of it until I went back to port.