PDA

View Full Version : from 1G to 2G of Ram, is there a different?

GA_
10-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Any one that can give a valid info on how much to expect going from 1G of RAM to 2G.

Dos the frame rate increas....

GA_
10-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Any one that can give a valid info on how much to expect going from 1G of RAM to 2G.

Dos the frame rate increas....

The190Flyer
10-25-2004, 12:02 PM
Upgrading from 1GB to 2GB, there is a difference obviously, but not really sure what it might be either, it most likely will run the game faster as well as give you faster response time maybe with Frame Rates. If ya did have 2G of Mem. it would be running about as fast as the CPU, so the CPU wouldn't have to wait on the memory, so there wouldnt be as much as a delay with less memory.

S! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

a.k.a. BIFF P-51 PILOT on ubi.com lobbies

Oilburner_TAW
10-25-2004, 12:04 PM
If your currently caching data to the hard drive (your hard drive blinks all the time while your playing) it will make a huge difference. If your not, it won't make any differnece.

I have 1 gig of ram and that is plenty for fb/aep..don't have PF yet so I'm not sure how much memory is required for it.

Fresshness
10-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Oilburner_TAW nailed it right on the spot!

Why would you upgrade 1g ram to 2g? do you have cash growing on a tree in your backyard? if not, make a more wiser decision as to what to spend your cash on. Like drugs for example http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif (jk)

olaleier
10-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Upgrading to 2 gig will likely not make much difference.

I haven't checked PF mem usage, but I doubt it's close to 1 gig.

If it was, going to 2 gig would only help loading-times and occasional stuttering in-game, it would NOT increase framerate.

walsh2509
10-25-2004, 01:55 PM
No expert , but when talking about another sim I have Lock On , low frame rates even with A very good rig! ) That is when explosions and tanks and helo's and all are in the air and a lot of the guys on there asked something the same will more memory help and it was yes a bit usual was 512MB up to 1GB.

But the main answer was that the blockage if you could call it that was the Graphics card, the higher the card the better the FPS!

owlwatcher
10-25-2004, 02:17 PM
You will not run any faster maybe smoother.
Some of my missions are hitting in between 900 and 1 gig.

have 2 gigs on main computer.

It will depend on how and what you yourself use your computer for.
At the very least you should make sure your motherboard can handle 2 gig.
No PF yet.

I bought 2 gigs worth cause I am lazy and have a camera. both can waste alot of ram. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cajun76
10-25-2004, 03:28 PM
When I upped from 1 to 2 gig, loading was faster, and I turned off page file. Framerates didn't really change, but there was overall improvement in my PC. Been needing a fresh install of XP to get the most out of my current system, though. 1 gig is pleny for most, especially if your budget is slim.

KGr.HH-Sunburst
10-25-2004, 04:43 PM
ive had FB up to 1200 mb RAM usage while there was a lot of action going on with some 35+ planes flying and flak shooting ,i once had 1.5Gig of RAM installed and there were no more slow downs what so ever after extensive use of my PC ,like multitasking with PS and FB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
now ive got 1Gig but faster memory installed and yes after online play of PF/FB i do get slowdowns from time to time so yes it does make a difference in some cases

tmdgm
10-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Interesting. So 2GB does make a difference?

I've heard so much on the FPS over carriers, I'm quite worried with only 1 GB ram.

necrobaron
10-25-2004, 08:05 PM
And I'm even more worried with my 512MB. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Latico
10-25-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm currently running P4 2.66GHz, 512 DDR RAM, with GForce 440 128 MB video card. I've still got 2 more slots for additional memmory sticks.

Am I going to have problems with PF? My machine seems to run FB/AEP alright offline. Online I seem to have some lag problems, but part of that may be my dialup connection.

The_Ant
10-26-2004, 12:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Latico:
I'm currently running P4 2.66GHz, 512 DDR RAM, with GForce 440 128 MB video card. I've still got 2 more slots for additional memmory sticks.

Am I going to have problems with PF? My machine seems to run FB/AEP alright offline. Online I seem to have some lag problems, but part of that may be my dialup connection. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if you can run Aep you should be able to run pf,some maps like okinawa,iwo jima,south japan is fps and mem killers.If I were you iv´e upgrade that mem too 1gb and a new graphic card.
I myself used to have 768 mem and upgraded too 1280mb ram last week when i got Pf,the difference is awsome.

owlwatcher
10-26-2004, 03:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Latico:

Am I going to have problems with PF? My machine seems to run FB/AEP alright offline. Online I seem to have some lag problems, but part of that may be my dialup connection. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When adding ram , Each mother board is different in type ,size & amount. You may have to buy all new ram.
Either research your MB or go to Crucial and check there.
Win 98 Once past 512 ram You have to start to tweak.
Now if using XP , You must remenber it eats ram.
One gig is a sweet spot here.

Going from 512 to 1 gig you will notice a big diffence in XP. So to with 98 after some tweaking reseach. If you are not real comfortable around computers avoid tweaking 98.

The game is ahead of the hardware and growing.
With one gig you will have to watch what you run and tweak to get more. You will real close to the edge in memory use.
1.5 and more would allow for some breathing room
and you will run smoother overall, not faster FPS wise.

Been around awhile and can tell you this game eats computers alive.
Game computers
1000AMD win 98 512 ram 64mbVC
Will play but you will not enjoy it.
2000AMD XP gig ram 128 98 pro
Like night & day over the 1000AMD
Enjoyment starts here.
3000Intel XP 2gig ram 98 256 ram
Really did not see a speed diffence here.
In what I run ( Larger missions) is where you notice the differece.

necrobaron
10-26-2004, 03:28 AM
Well, I'm somewhat illiterate when it comes to things like this. If I wanted to add an addition 512MB what should I check on my PC? Are there different types of memory cards? If so, are they compatible? How do I check what kind of RAM I have now? Just open the case or what? How expensive is this kind of upgrade?

owlwatcher
10-26-2004, 03:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by necrobaron:
Well, I'm somewhat illiterate when it comes to things like this. If I wanted to add an addition 512MB what should I check on my PC? Are there different types of memory cards? If so, are they compatible? How do I check what kind of RAM I have now? Just open the case or what? How expensive is this kind of upgrade? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get your computer manual out . It should tell you mother board plus ram configertions.
Go to http://www.crucial.com/promo/index.asp?prog=desktop2

With computer paper work in hand . Fill in the blanks. Easiet place I to figure it all out.

necrobaron
10-26-2004, 11:57 AM
Wow! Thanks Owlwatcher.

That's exactly the info I was looking for. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

tmdgm
10-26-2004, 04:49 PM
So I'm still confused. Does it help with 2G vs 1 G ram for PF?

What's the difference between 'more smooth' vs 'not increasing FPS'?

I'm thinking of getting a new rig for PF and the price difference for 2G to 1G adds up.

TheGozr
10-26-2004, 06:29 PM
1 G is perfect don't worry

RxMan
10-26-2004, 06:42 PM
The best pricing seems to be at 512MB sticks of ram.
See how many slots you have left open, if it's dual channel ram you'll need to get 2 sticks at a time. Be sure your motherboard will handle the max amount you want. When getting a new system always get the biggest ram sticks and leave open at least one slot i.e. instead of getting 2x256 get 1x512.
I'm currently using 2gigs of dual channel 400mhz and it has definitely smoothed out FB, waiting on PF.

tmdgm
10-26-2004, 07:21 PM
I was thinking of getting an amd 64 939 socket (dual channel) so I would need either 2 sticks of 512 or 2 sticks of 1 G. Big difference in price.

Rxman, what do you mean by smooth it out vs not increasing FPS mentioned above?

GT182
10-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Latico, they say if you can run FB/AEP 2.04 fine with what you have you should be able to run PF the same.

I'm running FB/AEP 2.04 now with a stick of 256 and 512 PC2100RAM with a GF 4 MX420 64mb card, and a P4 1.9Ghz CPU and can run it on Excellent with no problems. New pc will be P4 3.2E with 1 gig twin 512 sticks DDR400 and a FX 5600Ultra 256mb 256bit card.

Latico
10-26-2004, 07:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Ant:

Well if you can run Aep you should be able to run pf,some maps like okinawa,iwo jima,south japan is fps and mem killers.If I were you iv´e upgrade that mem too 1gb and a new graphic card.
I myself used to have 768 mem and upgraded too 1280mb ram last week when i got Pf,the difference is awsome. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My motherboard has 2 more empty slots for Mem sticks. My understanding is that I can add 2 more sticks of 512 DDR.

GT182
10-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Yes, but make sure they are 2x512 sticks in the same package. That way they are matched.

LuckyBoy1
10-26-2004, 09:49 PM
For best DDR performance, you want all your RAM on two sticks. That being said, yes, if you are sloppy with your system, you can really eat up the RAM. I'm not saying all who have seen RAM usage go over 1 Gig are sloppy, but it is a factor. Even if you have a Gig of RAM, use the Black Viper Tweaks listed in Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users. The guide Also has a link to a utility that will tell you exactly what RAM you've got and your motherboard and more.

steve v will tell you the game doesn't go over 1 Gig of usage even with the operating system fat and bloated using 180 MB to run just Cousin Billy. Add to that at most 700 MB for the game and you are still under 1 Gig. However, many play online and shutting down the anti-virus and software firewall is stupid, so gotta finger that in. Then there's whatever HyperLobby or UBI uses. Then there's the voice coms program and as you can see, it still can be done nicely with 1 Gig, but not while being sloppy about it.

Page file should not be turned off no matter how much RAM you have. Windows still uses it regardless.

GA_
10-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Im on Twinmos 4x512 2,5 CAS PC3200 with 400mhz on dual making it 800mhzhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. otal of 2G doing 800mhz http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Ok wil try it out now, thx gents for your replyes &lt;S&gt;