PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Of Technical Questions

Fish40
10-18-2005, 11:49 AM
A while ago, I posted a question about how the info from the TDC was actually transfered to the torpedo. After reading everyone's responses, and doing some research on my own, I'm pretty sure it was done manually befor the torpedo was launched. This brings me to question #1: Did U-Boats sail with a salvo of torpedos already loaded? If so, how was the TDC info transfered to the torpedo if it was already loaded? I've seen photos of torpedomen useing tools on the torpedos outside the tubes. I'm not sure if they were performing maintainence, or adjusting settings for an attack.
Question #2: Upon launching, by what means was the torpedo's propulsion system activated? Just wondering. Thanks.

Kaleun1961
10-18-2005, 12:18 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the data was fed up to the point of firing by some connection to the torpedo while still in the tube. Prior to firing, the adjustment mechanism or device was withdrawn. In those photos, the crew are doing maintenance work. They would haul them out on a regular basis to adjust the gyroscopes, top up the compressed air flasks, etc.

I can't answer that second question, sorry.

W.Irving
10-18-2005, 12:28 PM
The three settings (gyroangle, speed, and range I presume) were indeed made with the torpedo in the tube. The torpedo was fixed in its tube and three rods were inserted in its top. These rods were then controlled by three wheels next to the tube. I think the TDC could program the torpedo directly, not sure about the fire command though. Then the rods were retracted and the torpedo loosened.
Apparently the torpedo started when a shock was exerted upon it. Destroyers used an explosive charge and submerisbles compressed air.

Fish40
10-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for your answers guys. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

WilhelmSchulz.-
10-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by W.Irving:
The three settings (gyroangle, speed, and range I presume) were indeed made with the torpedo in the tube. The torpedo was fixed in its tube and three rods were inserted in its top. These rods were then controlled by three wheels next to the tube. I think the TDC could program the torpedo directly To my knowlge german subs didnt have TDC's only alied subs.

W.Irving
10-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by WilhelmSchulz.-:
To my knowlge german subs didnt have TDC's only alied subs.

Fish40 was wondering about U-boats.
I'm sure Allied submarines had some sort of computers too.

Kaleun1961
10-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Yes, Germans subs did indeed have TDC's, as represented in this game. Somebody recently posted an article here about British subs in WW2. Their computer, unlike the German one, did not update automatically. The officer had to keep updating targeting data to refine the solution. According to that article, the Royal Navy submarine officers were brilliant at mental mathematics, trigonometry or whatever it was called. I think it was Dominic Rigg. If he sees this, maybe he'll be kind enough to post the link?

Kaleun1961
10-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Never mind, I found it in my bookmarks:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/chalcraft/sm/attack.html

Fekin_Von_dEtRi
10-19-2005, 05:35 AM
That's truly impressive stuff the Commander had to do while the stress of combat was with them.

Dominicrigg
10-19-2005, 07:46 AM
It makes the longest shot by a British sub even more impressive. I forget the details now but i think it was in the Pacific against a Japanese cruiser and at about 6km or more lol.

Very impressive to get a hit at that range on a fast moving target, though british subs did have about 10 tubes up front in some cases so you could make a large spread attack http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kaleun1961
10-19-2005, 11:58 AM
That is the one thing I admire most the British people in general: their ability to do something difficult and pull it off without seeming to break a sweat or get all puffed up.