PDA

View Full Version : Nose Into Deck On Carrier Takeoff

cabat10
05-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Whenever I attempt a takeoff, my aircraft starts heading down the deck. On almost all (some I made it to the end), the aircraft goes nose down into the deck of the carrier.
I have followed all the advice I could find so far on the forums regarding steps for takeoff.... Any suggestions?

Capt.LoneRanger
05-15-2006, 07:45 AM
Can you start from a normal runway? Seems like your joystick is off center? Or you hit brakes by accident?

Treetop64
05-15-2006, 07:46 AM
The only thing I can think of is you hitting the brakes on takeoff, but I'm sure you're not doing that.

It's important to let us know what type of craft you're flying; that may aid us in helping. Also, what kinds of control inputs are you applying on takeoff?

justflyin
05-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by cabat10:
Whenever I attempt a takeoff, my aircraft starts heading down the deck. On almost all (some I made it to the end), the aircraft goes nose down into the deck of the carrier.
I have followed all the advice I could find so far on the forums regarding steps for takeoff.... Any suggestions?

My carrier take-off method:

1. Immediately after spawn, release and reset chocks. (Most planes have a little "drop" to them when releasing chocks, this eliminates that on take-off release.)

2. Full flaps.

3. Full nose-up elevator trim (Seafire will nose into deck just about everytime, if you don't do this).

4. Start engine.

5. Set throttle to MAX, using available boost (WEP) for plane being flown.

6. Allow a few seconds to reach MAX rpms.

7. Release chocks.

8. Upon beginning roll for take-off, try to get tail wheel off of the ground ASAP.

9. Steer with rudder and guide to end of deck.

10. Immediately upon clearing deck, raise gear and be light on the stick as you use rudder to correct YAW.

11. Raise flaps slowly to allow for the most lift possible while you build your speed.

Some planes, when loaded need more room to take-off, plus take-offs are much easier from a moving carrier as opposed to stationary.

Although ground handling is a bit tricky these days, some might have to position themselves at the very end of the deck to get the most deck possible for take-off.

Your mileage may vary, but the above works for me. Now, carrier landings?!?! Well, that's a story for another day.

Tully__
05-15-2006, 11:00 AM
Check that you don't have a stray controller axis assigned to brakes in the game's controls screen. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the controls screen to the section labelled "HOTAS Control" and check that nothing is assigned in the right column next to the Brakes entry. It sounds very much like you have brakes assigned to an axis that is normally centered or brakes assigned to an axis with the assignment reversed so brakes are on full when you think they're off.

Spy17
05-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Oh no I have the brakes assigned to the mouse Z axis and I do not know how to unassign it again.

How can I do this?

Spy17
05-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Found it!
I errased it in the user settings folder!

actionhank1786
05-15-2006, 10:57 PM
I know that the seafire will do that.
I usually just hold back on the stick a little, and put a good deal of elevator trim, that helped me get that bird off the deck.