PDA

View Full Version : conf.ini attenuation

na85
04-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I can usually hear e/a when they get close. In an attempt to improve my SA/aircraft spotting skills and lessen my reliance on hearing people trying to bounce me I want to cut off the sounds that other a/c make... or at least quiet them some.

Here is my conf.ini's sound section:

[sound]
SoundUse=1
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=0
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=8
ObjectVolume=14
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=1
SamplingRate=2
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=0
SoundFlags.hardware=0
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=0
SoundExt.volumefx=0
SoundFlags.voicemgr=0
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=12
Channels=2
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.85
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=0
ActLevel=0
MicLevel=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0

I assume that all I need to do is play with the Attenuation setting. Should I increase or decrease it?

Are there any other sound parameters that affect aircraft volume?

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty sure you're correct that the attenuation is responsible for this, but I don't recall which direction does what, just change it and find out, lol.

na85
04-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Yeah I guess so. Mostly I was wondering what other settings influence this behavior

Hawgdog
04-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Attenuation=7

you dont say what card you have, or the other settings in game
try this
http://www.google.com/search?h...i=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai= (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=1sp&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=config.ini++%2B+Attenuation&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=)
its been a while, but a few of us really tore up the sound stuff a few years back. Might still be in the archives in the tech section.

BillSwagger
04-28-2010, 02:19 AM
If you want to hear less aircraft the further away they get, then lower the attenuation.

Its been a while since i've played with any sound settings, but i think object volume also determines how loud the surrounding sounds can be heard.

SoundExt.occlusions=0

You can try turning on occlusions too, which i think activates obstructions, so if a plane flies on the other side of a building its sound is not as loud. Planes have occlusions settings to simulate cockpit presence. So you end up with a more muffled sound than sitting outside the pit.

I remember setting them so that it sounded like a plane was flying right outside my cockpit but he was still several kilometers away. Thats almost worse for SA, especially if you have 2 or 3 planes in your vicinity and they all sound like they are the same distance from you. So you have to find what works. I like to have the sounds so that i begin to hear them at 500 meters and its more pronounced under 200 meters. In other words, a Spitfire and a 190 sound more or less the same from 500 meters, but at 200 meters they sound distinct from each other. You add cockpit noise and it only muffles those settings more depending on the plane and the placement of the engines.