PDA

View Full Version : 4.04 Query- did you see any big change? I don't

Chuck_Older
02-25-2006, 06:49 AM
I'm referring to yaw/pitch stability here. I really never felt I had a problem...I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones

It's a little different, I'll grant. I use more or less inputs depending on whatever patch we have. But I'm not seeing some big hallelujah change

What can possibly make each patch a "fine" adjustment to me, and a "coarse" adjustment to others?

This plane loses E a little more rapidly, ok...that plane has stiffened elevator, fine, this plane is heavier now, that plane does something else a little different, etc etc...

I'm not finding this to be more than a slight tweak here and there. Everyone else seems to be able to pick out the changes to XY and Z the way I pick up peat in a glass of scotch. I'm seeing small changes in tiny increments, others see radical changes in course. I don't understand

They said of Jimmy Clark that it was almost useless to ask him to drive a car in testing so that they could set it up for a race. He just adapted himself to whatever the car was doing. After one race in which he actually had requested a change, and they did it, he won the contest(as was the norm). As soon as the race was over, he pulled aside his mechanic before he accepted the laurels and said, "change it back, it's horrible"

I ain't Clark though

OldMan____
02-25-2006, 06:53 AM
I feel like somethng happened to input system. NEver had the woobles but had some problems with strange input behavior. Now its better. Really can´t define exaclty what cahnged but for some planes that is enough to feel like a better plane now.

Chuck_Older
02-25-2006, 06:59 AM
Maybe I haven't played enough? I've flown the P-51D (I fly that first nowadays!), a Bf 109G-6, P-40E, and the Tempest. I can detect some difference in the '109s and the P-51s since 4.03, but it's not detectable unless you're in certain parts of the flight 'envelope, if virtual aircraft have such a thing. I can still make a 550 mph IAS dive and recover a P-51D without losing wings, too. I had never broken one up until all the fuss about the "glass wings" and then I had to actually make a test regimen. Yeah I can do it...but why was I making those stick movements at that speed? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif maybe I just fly conservatively

carguy_
02-25-2006, 07:01 AM
Big yaw stability change.Rudder is now comparable to a scalpel.

Chuck_Older
02-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Ugh. Them things is pointy

OldMan____
02-25-2006, 07:06 AM
I think things are really liek you described.. In Anton I feel the same. In certain parts of "envelope" it is more linear with control input. But at endof day it changes the feeling of flying.

DaimonSyrius
02-25-2006, 07:30 AM
First impressions about 4.04: It certainly feels good to me, and it's not 'on rails' either. If I try to correct the aim in the middle of a manoeuvre, I'll still have to struggle with the nose wanting to wander around, but that's in a way that appears to me as more 'proportionate' (for lack of a better word) than in 4.03.

With 4.03 I didn't have any uncontrollable or chaotic or erratic (as in unpredictable) nose-wandering ('wobbles'), but it took too much 'wrestling the stick' (I don't have pedals -yet-) to keep it under control. It was too twitchy.

Now with 4.04, I don't feel the need to wrestle the stick AND the way the plane reacts is also predictable when I am hamfisting the stick, or just manoeuvring hard. Predictable means, for me, that the gyro, P-factor, torque, etc., forces are there and are pushing, so no 'on rails' for me, but they push in a way that makes quite some sense to my aeronautically-uneducated mind, in a more proportionated way as I said.

This is only a few dozen hours after 4.04 stepped in, and having flown only the P-51D (and the P-47D for a short spin). BTW, I have a better (TM) feeling now, too, of the relative weights and sizes of both (P51 and P47), but it's too shortly after anyway.

Cheers,
S.

GreyBeast
02-25-2006, 07:43 AM
I don't know if it's been fixed with 4.04, but I noticed that in 4.03, when working with the Full Mission Builder, some of the newer planes that came with 4.03 didn't show up in the list of Static Aircraft. It could be that the 4.04 patch includes but minor changes and fixes such as this one. But, again, I have NOT checked up on this particular glitch.

VW-IceFire
02-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Chuck...what we're seeing is finally in line with what you've had all along. Its that simple http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I can use the rudder again without exepecting the plane to go careening off on a wild tangent somewhere where I'm not expecting it to.

Monty_Thrud
02-25-2006, 07:53 AM
I 've noticed the lettering on the Mossie has been corrected, sadly now, with MAT manager the custom letters dont show up, i still get buffeting at low level, just not as harsh, i appear to be able to shoot aircraft down now, although struggle to catch anything in the Tempest.
Track recordings play back like your on a laggy server

DaimonSyrius
02-25-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
I ain't Clark though
We have a saying here, as a compliment to someone who is extraodrdinary in some, or many aspects: "He comes from out of this planet". Jim Clark came fom out of this galaxy, IMO http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Cheers,
S.

heywooood
02-25-2006, 09:52 AM
4.04m is the cure...its got more cowbell.

badaboom.1
02-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by heywooood:
4.04m is the cure...its got more cowbell.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gifAHHH!!!!That's good,I thought the triangle was up a notch! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif p.s heywoooood,How do you like THE CAT now?I think it's changed for the better,trims better,better accelleration& I can now dogfight successfully with the late Zekes!What's your take on it?

heywooood
02-25-2006, 11:24 AM
I love this version of my most beloved 'cats.

Very smooth with good roll and stable gunnery with a nice view over the nose for a sweet lead shot on the bogey in the window.

My favorite pastime is still just loading the Coral Sea in QMB 1v1 with a Zeke at about 17:45 hrs in 'poor' conditions...downing that feller and then trapping on the boat.

...that is, when I'm not doing a campaign.

gx-warspite
02-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Nothing huge. I hadn't noticed the wobbles other people were complaining about - at least not due to rudder input - but the recoil from guns seems more manageable.

Wolf-Strike
02-25-2006, 02:58 PM
It just goes to show you that there will never be a realistic FM on a PC.The reason I say that is that we all seem to feel like a plane should fly one way while each and everyone of us other simmers has their own feelings on this matter.

I get a new patch and never notice if the elevators are stiffened more or if a plane rolls faster yet I do notice when I can fly my plane to a point in the sky.Thats the first thing that hits me.I got into 4.04 and blowing planes out of the sky left and right.Aim for the wing root or strafe the bullets all along fuselage.Thats what feels real to me.

What doesnt feel real to me is not knowing what the plane will do next so you just watch the screen and keep trying to make corrections.

Fighting in WW2 planes was about tactics,not about who could manage to point his guns at a stationary target.

NonWonderDog
02-25-2006, 03:11 PM
I've noticed a bit more stability at high speeds, and more dependance of stability on speed... maybe. I probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't read it here first, so I might be making it up.

danjama
02-25-2006, 03:27 PM
iv noticed the change

La7_brook
02-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Maybe I haven't played enough? I've flown the P-51D (I fly that first nowadays!), a Bf 109G-6, P-40E, and the Tempest. I can detect some difference in the '109s and the P-51s since 4.03, but it's not detectable unless you're in certain parts of the flight 'envelope, if virtual aircraft have such a thing. I can still make a 550 mph IAS dive and recover a P-51D without losing wings, too. I had never broken one up until all the fuss about the "glass wings" and then I had to actually make a test regimen. Yeah I can do it...but why was I making those stick movements at that speed? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif maybe I just fly conservatively so what do think is new with the 109,s ?

Jetbuff
02-25-2006, 05:58 PM
I find getting out of phase is much more likely in this patch. Both with the bandit and your trim situation. Provisionally, I attribute it to control input dampening.

Pig_Mac
02-26-2006, 12:26 AM
In some planes (the ex-semi-wobbly ones) I feel a lot of difference. I'm almost getting used to 4.04, but it's hard to remember not compensating for the 'randomness'.

I strangely have some big problems flying the Dora against AI cr*p planes, but I guess I'll get used to it.

partic_3
02-26-2006, 01:49 AM
The wobbles were a funny business. If you didn't have them, you wouldn't know what all the fuss was about. At first I didn't and I didn't. Then, after upgrading mobo and joystick, I got 'em and I did!

Love your sig, Xallo. You're a real "the glass is half full" type, aren't you? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ucanfly
02-26-2006, 09:41 AM
For the first time since 4.0X the P-51D and Corsairs seem controllable if I use rudder input while lining up a shot.

But F6F seems kinda squirrelly in pitch (no change from 4.03?)

Pig_Mac
03-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by partic_3:

Love your sig, Xallo. You're a real "the glass is half full" type, aren't you? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I just watched 7 faces of DR.Lao and actually like a few of the quotes from that silly move. (joels (MST3K end of seasong 5 one) favourite movie when he escapes after one of the awful Joe don baker movies)

Normally I'm the 'WTH!? I ordered a double Gin & tonic and the glass aint even filled over the brim' person.[/QUOTE]

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/xallo/xallo.gif

Chuck_Older
03-02-2006, 04:27 PM
That movie is "Mitchell" !

"How do you take your Scotch, Mitchell?"

"By the quart."

GR142-Pipper
03-03-2006, 03:50 AM
The P-38's roll rate has been reduced to pre-4.02 levels (sluggish now). Too bad too because if this aircraft had remained at 4.02/4.03 levels and the elevator compression taken care of (it's still there, unfortunately), the P-38 would have been a pretty well modeled representative of the real thing.

GR142-Pipper

SeaFireLIV
03-03-2006, 04:36 AM
"4.04 Query- did you see any big change? I don't "

It`s funny, most of you guys must be Onliners. Because Onliners appear to be very happy. Indeed, flew online yesterday and it was enjoyable. This is because I hardly see AI Online.

The problem is in AI offline. I don`t fly Offline anymore.

XyZspineZyX
03-03-2006, 05:31 AM
The A/I went to sh@t, I did a complete reinstall back to 4.03

(from a dedicated ungratefull offwhiner)
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif