PDA

View Full Version : Do you want the Hookblade back in AC3 ?

killzab
12-05-2011, 01:12 PM
This is NOT a troll topic or anything, just a simple question :

Do you like the hook blade and would you want it back in future ACs ?

Personally I enjoyed it but I'm not too sure I 'd want it back in a setting like French Revolution, I don't know, it doesn't look good even if it's practical and think it is tied to the middle-east setting...

xx-pyro
12-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Made free running much more enjoyable and helped combat flow well. This was one of the things I loved about Revelations- keep it in please!

freddie_1897
12-05-2011, 01:24 PM
They wouldn't just add something then take it away, I really liked it for free running, but I agree it dosnt look so good, maybe they could change the look for ac3?

DavisP92
12-05-2011, 01:32 PM
i say keep it, it's cool and fun to use. Would be nice if they added more things for it in AC3 or even had a alternate version where u could use the hookblade or some other thing (wire-blade?) idk if they could and want to they would make something really fun to use

Assassin_M
12-05-2011, 01:34 PM
I want it back, more functions..

killzab
12-05-2011, 01:36 PM
But how the hell does he pierce through skulls and armors if the tip is round ? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

SolidSage
12-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Nice way to avoid conflict and the ziplines are a nice alternative to travel.

Keep it fo shizzle!

eagleforlife1
12-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Nikolai Orelov didn't use the hookblade between the years 1888 and 1917. Desmond doesn't even have a hookblade which suggests that at some stage they were discontinued.

DavisP92
12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:
Nikolai Orelov didn't use the hookblade between the years 1888 and 1917. Desmond doesn't even have a hookblade which suggests that at some stage they were discontinued.

or it just stayed in turkey.

but yea they should fix the fact that when you assassinate someone or when ur threating a person in that weird confession thing the hookblade is out instead of the hidden blade

kriegerdesgottes
12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by eagleforlife1:

True but they tend to be a bit inconsistent with the modern day tools so far. In ACII Desmond somehow had the exact blade that Ezio had in ACII then in Brotherhood it for some reason turned into a simple blade strapped to his wrist.

dxsxhxcx
12-05-2011, 01:50 PM
while I enjoyed most of its movements (the only thing I didn't like was the animation and speed of Ezio when he climb a building with it, IMO it looks unnatural, sometimes it seems he's flying) I wouldn't like to see it returning in AC3 because I like to think that the hookblade is something exclusive of the assassins in Constantinople (the same way the parachutes IMO should had been something exclusive from ACB and not be sold like water in the stores in Constantinople) and that each game have something exclusive besides the new city/story/etc...

and I want the most different experience possible in the next game and not the same experience of the previous game with a new story/ancestor, I wouldn't even mind if the next ancestor doesn't have two hidden blades, let the "core gadgets" (hidden blade, sword, dagger) stay and remove some of the others and add new things (the only thing I don't want to see in this game is a grappling hook, please don't do this.. xD)

Serrachio
12-05-2011, 01:52 PM
From all we've seen of Nikolai Orelov, he hasn't really been scaling buildings.

I'd say that it was a nice feature, and if it redesigned for the era and was more hook, less eagle, then it would be nice.

If they cut out the rather pointless and needlessly flashy combat animations and improved the flow of free-running with it, for example, being more responsive to Wall Ejects, fixed so that you don't suddenly stop and changed the Hookblade Boost from A/Cross to B/Circle to merge it with Climb Leaps, then I would like it more.

kriegerdesgottes
12-05-2011, 01:53 PM
I personally don't care one way or the other. I doubt that they will remove it now that it's there but I wouldn't lose sleep if they took it out either.

DavisP92
12-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:
while I enjoyed most of its movements (the only thing I didn't like was the animation and speed of Ezio when he climb a building with it, IMO it looks unatural, sometimes it seems he's flying) I wouldn't like to see it returning in AC3 because I like to think that the hookblade is something exclusive of the assassins in Constantinople and that each game have something exclusive besides the new city/story/etc...

and I want the most different experience possible in the next game and not the same experience of the previous game with a new story/ancestor, I wouldn't even mind if the next ancestor doesn't have two hidden blades, let the "core gadgets" (hidden blade, sword, dagger) stay and remove some of the others and add new things (the only thing I don't want to see in this game is a grappling hook, please don't do this.. xD)

Thats a good idea, that would be nice if they had every assassin branch had their own special gadgets. Turkey has the hookblade, china the footblade hah, someone could have a wire-blade, then some other cool name blade haha

Animuses
12-05-2011, 01:56 PM
I really liked the hookblade, but I'd rather it be an ACR exclusive. Climbing was much quicker, but it didn't flow as well.

albertwesker22
12-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by dxsxhxcx:
while I enjoyed most of its movements (the only thing I didn't like was the animation and speed of Ezio when he climb a building with it, IMO it looks unatural, sometimes it seems he's flying) I wouldn't like to see it returning in AC3 because I like to think that the hookblade is something exclusive of the assassins in Constantinople (the same way the parachutes IMO should had been something exclusive from ACB and not be sold like water in the stores in Constantinople) and that each game have something exclusive besides the new city/story/etc...

I agree. When I played the first AC, the best thing about it for me was watching Altair grab onto every nook and cranny.

E-Zekiel
12-05-2011, 02:02 PM
I would prefer to have its functionality (a counter-KO as opposed to a counter-kill) without the hookblade itself. The actually hookblade I have a distaste for; I think it looks dumb.

UrDeviant1
12-05-2011, 02:14 PM
If i had the hookblade for climbing and the double hidden blade for combat id be happy. Not that i dislike the hookblade for combat, it did give some cool kill animations but i just missed the double hidden.

Serrachio
12-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Maybe if it was more of a Hook instead of a Hookblade, it would be more useful.

Having the hook on its own allows it to be used for climbing only, it can be used for some counters, but it's not getting in the way of the blade itself, and it would allow for the double blade counters while having some unique hook-only functions.

Maybe it can have that "Pulls people in to fight" function that they promised without being part of a counter kill animation, and it can still Counter-Steal.

I'd actually really appreciate it if they took out the Leg Sweep though. Tackling was a much better feature when running towards civilians because you could still hold it down to shove people more simultaneously. I feel that the only thing that they needed to do was to make it less of the player barreling through the crowd and more of him pushing people out of his way as he runs through them.

maxriderules
12-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Maybe the hook as an alternative to double hidden blades? Prevents double assassinations, but makes climbing easier. Also, I don't think you should be able to use it in combat, so it wouldn't be out.

goclo822
12-05-2011, 02:58 PM
One of my favorite additions to Revelations. I loved what it added to free running and I loved using it in combat. Keep it please!

Only problem I had with it was that it replaced horses. I want horses back for AC3 in addition to the hookblade. Also I wouldn't want the hookblade to be a double or to take over the double blades. If we get it back as is, I'd be happy.

ProdiGurl
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Most definitely keep it !! I also love how when you use 'grab', he flips them over & uses it to get them on the ground.
Plus who doesn't love getting up structures faster or the Ziplines (whenever you actually come across one you can use lol).

It makes AC alot less tedious and alot more enjoyable http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Il_Divo
12-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Serrachio:

Maybe it can have that "Pulls people in to fight" function that they promised without being part of a counter kill animation, and it can still Counter-Steal.

This. Free-run applications were great, but the Hookblade had little use in combat, besides some different combat animations. Fun, but it didn't quite bring the change in tactics I was hoping for. The problem is that the only move we have, the Counter-Hook and Throw really just functions as an alternate counter, but without the potential for executions. Very underwhelming, imo.

LightRey
12-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Definitely. It was one of my favorite additions in ACR.

ProdiGurl
12-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Il_Divo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serrachio:

This. Free-run applications were great, but the Hookblade had little use in combat, besides some different combat animations. Fun, but it didn't quite bring the change in tactics I was hoping for. The problem is that the only move we have, the Counter-Hook and Throw really just functions as an alternate counter, but without the potential for executions. Very underwhelming, imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When you use the hookblade on someone (grabbing or running at them), it ends up rendering them on the ground where you can then kill them.
I've done it alot already.

LightRey
12-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Il_Divo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serrachio:

This. Free-run applications were great, but the Hookblade had little use in combat, besides some different combat animations. Fun, but it didn't quite bring the change in tactics I was hoping for. The problem is that the only move we have, the Counter-Hook and Throw really just functions as an alternate counter, but without the potential for executions. Very underwhelming, imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When you use the hookblade on someone (grabbing or running at them), it ends up rendering them on the ground where you can then kill them.
I've done it alot already. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are a number of uses for the hookblade in combat. Aside from being able to throw a guard away (from a rooftop for instance), you can use it to do a counter that doesn't kill your opponent, but simply takes them out, you can also use the counter steal ability.

Serrachio
12-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by LightRey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Il_Divo:

I've done it alot already. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are a number of uses for the hookblade in combat. Aside from being able to throw a guard away (from a rooftop for instance), you can use it to do a counter that doesn't kill your opponent, but simply takes them out, you can also use the counter steal ability. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aside from only letting you take out Spearmen a little easier, there wasn't much point in using the Counter-Slam. Couple that with how finicky it was to let you pull one off, unlike how easy a regular counter is, it's never really worth the effort. I also picked up on how you couldn't really make it into a combo chain after performing it.

Hook and Run and the Hook and Throw were decent in concept, but they screwed it up by making you hold B/Circle for the Hook and Run, which I felt would have been more suited to its more combat based Hook and Throw and vice versa on the pressing of the button. Hook and Throw was also stupid in that you could fling a guy off of a rooftop and the majority of the time, they would survive the fall.

Counter-Steal was also nice because it allowed you to take money from your opponent so you didn't have to loot later. It was a little harder to pull off though, just like the Counter-Slam, and it was a little annoying that I could Counter-Steal and then get interrupted in between me trying to link it into an execution streak, which meant another guard stuck around for the fight and I just got damaged.

If that guard happened to be a Janissary, I'd be a little more frustrated as well.

Il_Divo
12-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Edit: Double post.

Il_Divo
12-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:

I've done it alot already.

Fair enough, and I certainly employ that approach. But I meant "combat" in the most literal sense of the word,in combat fighting with a group of enemies. The hook and throw is mainly an "opener" to combat, but doesn't change the flow of combat any more than a tackle did in previous AC games.

I was hoping that the Hookblade, with Ubisoft's approach of assigning it to the empty hand button, would essentially "breathe new life" into the throwing mechanics of combat. In that sense, I found it disappointing since there weren't really any incentives to throwing enemies vs.counter-killing them.

Randy 355
12-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Maybe as an optional thing. I liked it a lot, but I would like a new, more innovative way to use hidden blades in AC3.

SleezeRocker
12-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I like the hookblade alot! But I selected No.
I think the Hookblade was more of a local (Constantine) item. If AC3 takes place ahead of time and dsiffrent era, for all we know, we may get like a hidden Boot Blade, or a Grapple Blade (Shoot like blade/hook from arm and use to climb up and swing across chams etc idk)

scout455
12-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Personally loved the hook blade and it fit the setting well. Every aspect of the tool made the game a little better. The ziplines, the pickpocket while fighting and the hook and run/throw. If the game is gonna be anywhere where like the French revolution then it wouldn't fit right in the setting but some feature similar to it needs to be in the game. But overall yes I wud want it to com back (with more fluid gameplay).

xCr0wnedNorris
12-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Yeah.

ProdiGurl
12-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by SleezeRocker:
I like the hookblade alot! But I selected No.
I think the Hookblade was more of a local (Constantine) item. If AC3 takes place ahead of time and dsiffrent era, for all we know, we may get like a hidden Boot Blade, or a Grapple Blade (Shoot like blade/hook from arm and use to climb up and swing across chams etc idk)
Very true. Alot will depend on the era and surroundings for sure.

xxtonypunk96xx
12-05-2011, 07:59 PM
yea as long as they put the hook blade and the ability to have double blades again I hated when i would take out my blades randomly and seeing a long hook instead of the blade which also doesn't make sense due to the fact Yusuf said it has to compartments so you can use one or the other.

naran6142
12-05-2011, 08:21 PM
maybe not the hook itself, but the things that you can do with it

cuz a lot of the moves that you can do with it can probably be done with out the hook. like the move where ezio can launch himself forward from a hanging flower pot, the next ancestor could just grab on to it, he/she doesn't need a hook

but if the hook itself stays in i'll have no complaints

Bipolar Matt
12-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by xxtonypunk96xx:
yea as long as they put the hook blade and the ability to have double blades again I hated when i would take out my blades randomly and seeing a long hook instead of the blade which also doesn't make sense due to the fact Yusuf said it has to compartments so you can use one or the other.

That was my understanding too. I assumed the bracer for the hookblade had the two different parts stored separately; the hook and a standard hidden blade, that were activated in two slightly different ways.

monarcasmoreli
12-05-2011, 09:53 PM
It's cool for a old assassin to help them climb but a
Young assassin should use his young years to climb on his own

Il_Divo
12-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by xxtonypunk96xx:

Theoretically, even without the hook, smashing someone's head into hard pavement would probably prove lethal anyway.

Agentbarto
12-06-2011, 12:40 AM
I think that some things have a place and time. Extending their usage long past said time and place might ruin the innovative nature of the hook blade. It just suited the terrain of Constantinople better; depending on the AC3 location, it may not.

eagleforlife1
12-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by monarcasmoreli:
It's cool for a old assassin to help them climb but a
Young assassin should use his young years to climb on his own

Agree.

Il_Divo
12-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Agentbarto:
I think that some things have a place and time. Extending their usage long past said time and place might ruin the innovative nature of the hook blade. It just suited the terrain of Constantinople better; depending on the AC3 location, it may not.

Great point. I like all the tools we've been given in the past 4 AC games, but Ubisoft should give Desmond what works given the context and setting of his own war with the Templars. In other words, let's not give him a crossbow because Eziohad a crossbow, dual hidden blades because Ezio had them, and so on. Give him whatever "equipment" suits the style they are going for.

reddragonhrcro
12-06-2011, 09:51 AM
I would say that the hookblade is what represents the Turkish assassins aswell and being their unique creation but eventualy i could imagine Desmond creating the hookblade for his own benifits in modern day setting.But as AC3 is Desmonds last game i would like it being set with Desmond in the center of thing,but with some ancestor sequences related to where some of Desmonds ancestors were to retrive artefacts or so(eventualy having 1 or more ancestors present in the game).

value_zero
12-06-2011, 09:57 AM
I kinda didnt like it, its to unrealistic with it, u can spam ur way up building for 2 seconds, but the kills are great.