PDA

View Full Version : Ki 84b or C model?

Catandra
03-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Heyy folks,

Anyone here familiar with the Ki 84? I find the armament on the C model astounding but it seems like it is less manueverable than the less powerful B model. Do you guys concur on this?

I assume (if my assertion is correct) that it is perhaps due to the heavier weight of the 30mm cannons in the wings of the C model but I'm just guessing.

VW-IceFire
03-17-2006, 06:19 PM
I agree on both points. The 30mm cannons add extra weight which increases wingload, decreases roll rate, and generally adds weight to the aircraft meaning its less manueverable.

The best of the Ki-84 models in terms of flight is actually the A model. Nobody flies it because everyone is busy hoping and sometimes praying that their stray uber cannons manage to nail the target but the real Ki-84, the one with some finess to it, is the A which is by far the most agile. It still has a pair of 20mm so you can still put the hurt on when you get into a good position.

Catandra
03-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Hmmm...I always stayed away from the A model because the B model looked like it was the one that had the real punch...

But the extra manueverability might be worth the tradeoff...

Heavy_Metal1982
03-17-2006, 06:41 PM
I enjoy flying all the models, but I really like the C model. Sure it's heavy, but it has an excellent engine behind it to chase down those F4U's. Actually I just love the C model because I like when I can make planes explode with those 30mm http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Grey_Mouser67
03-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Last time I tested, they all had the exact same flight model....been a couple of patches ago though.

VW-IceFire
03-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Catandra:
Hmmm...I always stayed away from the A model because the B model looked like it was the one that had the real punch...

But the extra manueverability might be worth the tradeoff...
There isn't a huge difference between the A and the B...but I've always felt the A to give me an edge. And to be quite honest if you can aim with 4 20mm cannons then you can aim with two and use the machine guns strategically.

If your up against bombers then by all means the B or the C. Thats when the extra firepower is really needed.

HotelBushranger
03-17-2006, 10:52 PM
I agree, I only fly A's. Everybody underestimates them, then they're in the ****e because it manouvers onto them and blows em away http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif It's got the same armament as a 9e Spitfire, and noone complains about that do they?

Mark C's are for new people who haven't got the nack of aerial gunnery yet.

Waldo.Pepper
03-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Mark C's are for new people who haven't got the nack of aerial gunnery yet.

Hey! That's ME! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

ytareh
03-18-2006, 02:35 AM
Hey ,youre right!I gave it a go...much better dogfighter...And I was posting recently about how the B is generally better than the C against fighters.....

gthgrrl4game
03-18-2006, 03:01 AM
A's rule.
There were far more of them made so they are more ture to life.
A bit faster and more manuverable
I use the MG's to register.
Once bits start flying off my target I open up the 20's and watch the hurt.
More of a challenge when one hit doesn't blow wings off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aymar_Mauri
03-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Catandra:
Heyy folks,

Anyone here familiar with the Ki 84? I find the armament on the C model astounding but it seems like it is less manueverable than the less powerful B model. Do you guys concur on this?

I assume (if my assertion is correct) that it is perhaps due to the heavier weight of the 30mm cannons in the wings of the C model but I'm just guessing.
Sorry, but, IIRC, from IL Compare and HardBall's Aircraft Viewer, Ki84 Ia, Ib and Ic have the exact same data except for weapons. So, there is no performance advantage for any of them. In IL2 of course. In RL it would be different.

You can compare data between planes using HardBall's Aircraft Viewer for 4.04 here:

HardBall's Aircraft Viewer for IL-2 FB / AEP / Pacific Fighters 4.04 (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#014)

Power and weight seem to be read from game files. However, I've found out that some climb results are very dubious or plain wrong. There are probably other disparities. So, take some of the data in the viewer with a grain of salt...

VW-IceFire
03-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Aymar_Mauri:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Catandra:
Heyy folks,

Sorry, but, IIRC, from IL Compare and HardBall's Aircraft Viewer, Ki84 Ia, Ib and Ic have the exact same data except for weapons. So, there is no performance advantage for any of them. In IL2 of course. In RL it would be different.

You can compare data between planes using HardBall's Aircraft Viewer for 4.04 here:

HardBall's Aircraft Viewer for IL-2 FB / AEP / Pacific Fighters 4.04 (http://www.airwarfare.com/Sims/FB/fb_essential_files.htm#014)

Power and weight seem to be read from game files. However, I've found out that some climb results are very dubious or plain wrong. There are probably other disparities. So, take some of the data in the viewer with a grain of salt... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
While Hardballs viewer is a fantastic tool he doesn't always have all the data available (its half from books, half from the game) and so you should not take it as a vise-a-vise correlation to the game data. Nobody has full access to that.

WarWolfe_1
03-18-2006, 12:11 PM
A flying C model was a very rare sight in WW2. I like to stick to planes that were there and did the grunt work, but I also love "Cr@P planes" too, so go figure that.

MiamiEagle
03-19-2006, 09:43 AM
I fly them in all the quality Sims in the Market and for both sides. But have to admit I love crapy planes very much because of the challenged they give you.

Enjoy them all

Ki84 was a fine plane

Miamieagle