PDA

View Full Version : Peculiarities of the "Forgotten Airplane"

mortoma
09-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Flew the IAR-81c for the first time in a long time. This is one plane that few fly or at least that I hear about. I kind of like it. Over the years I have seen posts by some complaining about its poor handling. However I do not find it to be too bad at all in that department. It flies fine as far as I'm concerned and I would have to say it reminds me of a slow but nice turning FW-190. And although it's slow compared to many planes the IAR-80 is a 1940 aircraft and it flies as fast as Bf-109E-4, which is also a 1940 aircraft. It's actually faster at low level. So why it says "Low maximum speed" for the 80 version in Hardball's aircraft viewer under disadvantages, I'll never know.

Another strange thing about this beast is it looks like it has no cockpit plexiglass. Somehow Oleg's helpers or whoever forgot to put in some imperfection texture, there are no reflections or stains/scratches or anything else. Looks weird when you fly it!! It's also harder to takeoff and land than normal since it only has a skid, not a lockable tail wheel so you must use a bootful of rudder. And the two IAR-81 versions are identified as IAR-80s if you look at the flight icons. But I think they fly great and I have no trouble with them. The 81c is a monster ground attacker, too bad it has no rocket option.

FltLt_HardBall
09-29-2007, 06:24 PM
I guess I should modify the comment to something like "Low maximum speed compared to late-war aircraft".

Thanks for the heads-up.

carguy_
09-29-2007, 06:35 PM
The aircraft is not liked by most LW pilots and is generally a "substitude" for the 109/190.

Dates are there, ok but it is used by LW in 41-43 scenarios in certain numbers.It`s a coffin,whichever you pick.

Since the last patch the two latest versions were very bad for turning with a violent snap stall at a very shallow turn.The earliest is a very good dogfighter but does not come handy because of the armament.Given that enemies are LaGG and Pe2 planes, you can imagine how long one must pump if full of led until they go down.

The mid version has better but cannonless armament in wings which makes things even harder.Late version is heavy with worst flight characteristics.

Given that all of them have poor climb,mediocre speed, no rear view and little to no df abilities, the IAR fighters are used mostly as bomber busters and need cover at all times.

mortoma
09-29-2007, 07:53 PM
I fly the PE-2 patch, I guess 4.08 has ruined them!! Oh well.............

M_Gunz
09-29-2007, 08:15 PM
I never tried, how's the terminal dive speed with emphasis on terminal?

The_Cheese2006
09-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Well carguy, I don't know about you, but I just shot down an ace level LaGG-3 from an IAR.81c (yes, it was with normal difficulty, from the real cockpit view, not just a head-on kill, etc.), even though I was damaged in the wing in the first place and I didn't even shoot at him in the head-on. Plus I've read about it in a book before which said that it was an advanced aircraft for it's time, with a bubble canopy, etc. And about having no rear vision, It does, considering it has a mirror (I don't know whether or not you have mirrors turned on). I mean, that LaGG never got on my tail. I found the aircraft responsive and manoeuvrable, and I did have a little bit of trouble catching up to him, but it only lasted for a few seconds (he did not have engine damage). Well, I think I've made enough of an argument.

The_Cheese2006
09-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Oh, and by the way, the terminal velocity is, well, I started losing control surfaces at 927 khm, which is actually not a bad terminal velocity. And plus, that plane's got a helluva lot of ammunition.

Sillius_Sodus
09-30-2007, 05:29 PM
The IAR series are a blast to fly. I have also scored multiple kills with the "weak" armament of the early versions. It's an angles fighter, so keep it moving around and you'll do fine.

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

Choctaw111
09-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I have always like those Romanian fighters. It surprises those whom I share this with but I tell them that they are not that bad at all, especially considering other fighters of the time. The 81C is very good as far as the gun platform goes and the amount of ammo it has makes it a true monster as far as I'm concerned.