PDA

View Full Version : Explosion effects

XyZspineZyX
11-24-2003, 05:51 PM
I was wondering what plans there were to improve the current explosion effects for BOB. At the moment in FB it seems easy to overload them ie. the effects have a tendency to cut out a lot when there's more than a few happening at the same time.
Also, there doesn't seem to be much variation in the effects.
I was thinking that it would be nice to have different types of explosions in relation to the kind of objects that were hit. Eg. earth, water, aircraft, armoured vehicles, buildings/concrete, fuel, ammunition etc.

The kind of thing I'm thinking about is when you see old guncam footage of Typhoons strafing trains and convoys over france. The cannon shells ripping into the earth before hitting the target, the resulting explosion and secondary explosions.

XyZspineZyX
11-24-2003, 05:51 PM
I was wondering what plans there were to improve the current explosion effects for BOB. At the moment in FB it seems easy to overload them ie. the effects have a tendency to cut out a lot when there's more than a few happening at the same time.
Also, there doesn't seem to be much variation in the effects.
I was thinking that it would be nice to have different types of explosions in relation to the kind of objects that were hit. Eg. earth, water, aircraft, armoured vehicles, buildings/concrete, fuel, ammunition etc.

The kind of thing I'm thinking about is when you see old guncam footage of Typhoons strafing trains and convoys over france. The cannon shells ripping into the earth before hitting the target, the resulting explosion and secondary explosions.

XyZspineZyX
11-25-2003, 12:41 AM
I'm sure the effects will be upgraded. Its all about what you can reasonably store in memory. I don't notice any effects cutting out at all...maybe your system doesn't have enough memory...FB does have quite a few effects especially when bullets hit the ground/water/armor and whatnot. The new patch seems to make them even better.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig.jpg
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill

XyZspineZyX
11-25-2003, 03:35 AM
yeah i'm sure they will be upgraded. I was just wondering as to what degree. From a personal point of view, I haven't a clue about the relative performances of different aircraft, i just love the genre. It's the little details in the game i like. Remember the shock of having your gunsight shot off for the first time? class!

As for my specs I've got a Dell P4 1.7 GHz with 512 memory a sapphiretech radeon 9700 pro and an audigy 2 sound card. But your probably right about the memory, i'm not sure how good it is.
Oh and from your sig i'll take a wild guess and say that you're looking forward to the typhoon too? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-26-2003, 03:05 AM
personnally, i would like to see a "mushroom cloud style"
of effect especially when aircraft go down and hit the
ground with full fuel tanks, the chimney style of effect
presently doesnt do enough justice to the game,also a
little flattening out of the smoke with better windrift
direction.

S~