PDA

View Full Version : New planes

chelweg
02-02-2006, 06:39 PM
While I am always happy for new flyable aircraft, I am left wondering WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY, Oleg, do you keep giving us the Crappy or poorest versions of the Japanese aircraft instead of the best they had? If you have the J2M, WHY ARE WE GETTING THE OLD VERSION INSTEAD OF NEW. Why is the "George" still getting overlooked. Twice now it has been an AI, and so now we get a latter version on the AI? Come on mate. It is bad enough that the KI's in genral (at least the 61) are terribly under modeled. Please give us the best they had, not the mediocar.

VW-IceFire
02-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Its true...although there are some gems amongst the flyable lineup. The Ki-100 and the Ki-84 are both fantastic late war fighters with lots of options and abilities.

The Ki-61 is somewhat undermodeled and we are lacking a few other types. Not perfect for sure...but we're taking steps in the right direction.

I suspect the N1K-2J is meant for release with it "IL-10 Manchuria" addon package. The cockpit was apparently finished long ago and will appear in a retail pack of one or another. The N1K-1J was never given a cockpit because they couldn't find enough details on how to make it. Same with the J2M5 apparently.

shinden1974
02-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by chelweg:
While I am always happy for new flyable aircraft, I am left wondering WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY, Oleg, do you keep giving us the Crappy or poorest versions of the Japanese aircraft instead of the best they had? If you have the J2M, WHY ARE WE GETTING THE OLD VERSION INSTEAD OF NEW. Why is the "George" still getting overlooked. Twice now it has been an AI, and so now we get a latter version on the AI? Come on mate. It is bad enough that the KI's in genral (at least the 61) are terribly under modeled. Please give us the best they had, not the mediocar.

Well, a little patience will help, I'm a big fan of the N1K2-J, and I read on simHQ that it was meant for one of the commercial add-ons, the second;Il-10 one. The Ki-27 and J2M5a are supposedly in it as well. Who knows what else.

Ki-84 is actually overmodelled if you ask most people here, and the Ki-61 isn't that bad, neither is the Ki-100 which I'm starting to enjoy. Flyable Shiden will complete the game for me (sans torpedo bombers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif) though a F4U-4 and Ki-44 would be great, maybe in one of the add-ons to the BOB engine someday!

shinden1974
02-02-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:

I suspect the N1K-2J is meant for release with it "IL-10 Manchuria" addon package. The cockpit was apparently finished long ago and will appear in a retail pack of one or another. The N1K-1J was never given a cockpit because they couldn't find enough details on how to make it. Same with the J2M5 apparently.

Honestly, I have a pipe dream that they decided to fill in a few details and release a semi-historical cockpit for the N1K1-J and J2M5a, though.

chelweg
02-02-2006, 07:20 PM
The Ki84 I do not think is overmodel. And the Ki 61 is certainly under performanced at the very least in speed. And it's gun set ups are not all available. I feel the game should offer the best for the time. Gun packages are not correct in the Ki100, which is two 13mm in the wings not 7.7. Also much better performance should be available. It is also an early version, as latter models have a better canopy. And what of the 43. It would be easy enough to improve it to the II model with the three blade prop.
I am happy to see the information for the George and will just have to suffer till it's release.
As I state, I hope the powers that be do not feel that I am being ungrateful, for this is still the best sim out in my humble opinion. But as a Japanese plane fan, I just sometimes feel we are forgotten.

ImpStarDuece
02-02-2006, 07:55 PM
In the case of the Raiden, we are getting the most representative model of the J2M3 and the only one that saw any major combat operations.

There were a grand total of 475 Rainden built, and the '3' model accounted for about 285 of them. There were a grand total of 34 J2M5s built.

Willey
02-02-2006, 08:32 PM
IMHO, Ki-100 is the suck. It can't even climb 20m/s, it hardly even reaches 500kph on the deck, it just can turn - and there are other planes that can do this better. I still like it somehow, but I would take a 84-Ia over it anytime.

But calling the J2M3 **** or poor is funny. At least the AI model is really great. Imagine a FW-190 with better turn, maybe even a tad better climb, and roll rate like 109. That's close to the J2M3 then. Speeds exactly as the 190A-5; 570 on the deck and 670 @alt. Good turn rate, fowler flaps, 4 20mm wing guns with 200rpg avg (210/190 to be exact - I hope this gets fixed, it's jsut 60rpg now). The only real disadvantage is the crappily low Vne of just under 700IAS, but maybe it will be changed when it becomes flyable. What can you want more?

-> Ki-44, Ki-45, D4Y, B6N etc http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

J_Anonymous
02-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by chelweg:
I am happy to see the information for the George and will just have to suffer till it's release.
As I state, I hope the powers that be do not feel that I am being ungrateful, for this is still the best sim out in my humble opinion. But as a Japanese plane fan, I just sometimes feel we are forgotten.
You are not alone, mate. 4.01, I cried, 4.02, I cried, and 4.03, I am crying again. The fundamental problem is that, for some reason, PF is not being marketed in Japan. It means that there are not many players (i.e. customers) to appease with better Japanese planes. But we are finally near the end of a long tunnel, I hope, sounds like we will finally see flyable N1K2 Shidenkai!!

Meanwhile, if you are really so desperate, you can already buy a Shidenkai for mere 2500 Yen (about $20).

http://www.kanebo-cosmetics.co.jp/shidenkai/6-1.html

However, this Shidenkai would not let you shoot down F6F Hellcat. Instead, your hair will (allegedly) grow if you use this hair tonic! Shidenkai was IJN's last hope, which worked pretty well (albeit too little too late). This newer Shidenkai is the last hope for Japan's older men with thinning hair....

ImpStarDuece
02-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Some quick and dirty speed tests for the Ki-100

10m 515 kph / 320 mph
1000m 515 kph / 320 mph
2000m 510 kph / 317 mph
3000m 525 kph / 326 mph
4000m 530 kph / 329 mph
5000m 555 kph / 345 mph
6000m 580 kph / 360 mph

From the limited general references I have, speed seems to be about 15 kph/10 mph too generous at sea level and about 15 kph/10 mph too slow at altitude, but I haven't done exhaustive testing.

Armament load outs for the Ki-100 are certainly correct: a 12.7mm Ho-103 in each wing and two 20mm Ho-5s in the cowling.

Philipscdrw
02-03-2006, 05:57 AM
I know very little about the Japanese air forces in the Second World War. But, I thought that at the end of the war, when the best planes were being made, the best pilots were dead, the Allies had numerical superiority, spares and fuel and factories were running out or being destroyed? I'd prefer to fight in 1943, with older aircraft but with strategically-equal terms.

The same is true of the other battles. I'd prefer the early- or mid-war battle, with (roughly) equally-matched opponents, to the late-war when the Allies dominated with numbers.

J_Anonymous
02-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Philipscdrw:
I know very little about the Japanese air forces in the Second World War. But, I thought that at the end of the war, when the best planes were being made, the best pilots were dead, the Allies had numerical superiority, spares and fuel and factories were running out or being destroyed? I'd prefer to fight in 1943, with older aircraft but with strategically-equal terms.
You are absolutly right. The only exception is IJN 343 Kokutai in Matsuyama, Shikoku-island (Shikoku is the smallest of the 4 main islands of Japan, and is located east of Kyushu.) They gathered all the best equipment (i.e. brand-new Shidenkai) and many of the remaining experienced pilots to 343ku, including some legendary aces who had been teaching noob's. I guess they wanted to put up the last good fight to save the face of battered IJN, and they did (at least while the supplies lasted....). I also have suspicion that some people in the leadership, who still had sanity, tried to save the best fighter pilots from wasting their life in "Kamikaze" duties. Kamikaze pilots were technicaly all volunteers, but in reality many of them were forced to sign up for suicide missions. Asides from Rabaul kokutai (the Zero unit), 343ku is the best known IJN air force unit in Japan. The fight of 343ku took place over the sky of Japan, and the local population actually witnessed many F6F's etc. being shot down by Shidenkai. That might explain why Shidenkai became such a legendary plane in Japan. The name was adopted to hair growth tonic, because the word Shi-Den-kai(Purple-Thunder-Modified) became synonimous to "the last hope".

shinden1974
02-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by J_Anonymous:
You are absolutly right. The only exception is IJN 343 Kokutai in Matsuyama, Shikoku-island (Shikoku is the smallest of the 4 main islands of Japan, and is located east of Kyushu.) They gathered all the best equipment (i.e. brand-new Shidenkai) and many of the remaining experienced pilots to 343ku, including some legendary aces who had been teaching noob's. I guess they wanted to put up the last good fight to save the face of battered IJN, and they did (at least while the supplies lasted....). I also have suspicion that some people in the leadership, who still had sanity, tried to save the best fighter pilots from wasting their life in "Kamikaze" duties. Kamikaze pilots were technicaly all volunteers, but in reality many of them were forced to sign up for suicide missions. Asides from Rabaul kokutai (the Zero unit), 343ku is the best known IJN air force unit in Japan. The fight of 343ku took place over the sky of Japan, and the local population actually witnessed many F6F's etc. being shot down by Shidenkai. That might explain why Shidenkai became such a legendary plane in Japan. The name was adopted to hair growth tonic, because the word Shi-Den-kai(Purple-Thunder-Modified) became synonimous to "the last hope".

LMAO!!!!

VW-IceFire
02-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Philipscdrw:

The same is true of the other battles. I'd prefer the early- or mid-war battle, with (roughly) equally-matched opponents, to the late-war when the Allies dominated with numbers.
The Japanese actually did hold back quite a bit...they were fully expecting the invasion of Kyushu to take place by September or October 1945 and they were holding as much back as possible. Apparently they planned to launch a two stage strike sending in their best fighters and units in first to engage the American fighter screen with kamakazi's close behind to hit the American carriers in far greater numbers than had been previously expended.

That said...its hard to say if they would have actually been able to achieve this goal. By that time a few USN carriers would have complements of Bearcats on the deck with their rediculous agility and climb. Nonetheless...the squadron that flew N1K-2J's was called the "Squadron of Experts" and they were the best of what was left. And they made a pretty good show for themselves with a very good aircraft. The Shiden Kai was equal to or better than the Hellcat.

The same can be said of the Ki-100...which was a desperately produced stopgap aircraft that turned into a real gem. Fairly fast, extremely reliable, very easy to fly. This was all good when you had pilots with very little training but it was even better with pilots who knew what to do but needed the right sort of tool for the job.

But the B-29 ultimately won out.

chelweg
02-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
Some quick and dirty speed tests for the Ki-100

10m 515 kph / 320 mph
1000m 515 kph / 320 mph
2000m 510 kph / 317 mph
3000m 525 kph / 326 mph
4000m 530 kph / 329 mph
5000m 555 kph / 345 mph
6000m 580 kph / 360 mph

From the limited general references I have, speed seems to be about 15 kph/10 mph too generous at sea level and about 15 kph/10 mph too slow at altitude, but I haven't done exhaustive testing.

Armament load outs for the Ki-100 are certainly correct: a 12.7mm Ho-103 in each wing and two 20mm Ho-5s in the cowling.

You are not correct as to What is in game m8. It is a 7.7 in the wing in this game. Not 12.7 which it should be.