PDA

View Full Version : What could be groundbreaking for BOB

Danschnell
01-07-2006, 11:19 AM
IL2FB was grundbreaking, so it sold well. PF sold not so well because it had been done before by CFS2 and got boring.
I fear that BOB will do even worse because it has been done soooo many times before. There are many PC titles with the name 'Battle of Britain.'
However Oleg's BOB could be groundbreaking. So far all sims covering the Battle of Britain have limited themselves to the events of 1940. The title 'Battle of Britain' however does not imply that fighting over Britain only occured in 1940.
It would be wonderful to see other times covered that were not covered before by a sim. It would be truly unique to see the following events covered:
a) Ju86Ps operated at 44000 feet with sc250s over Britain in 1943
b) Arado 234s bombed and recced with impunity over Britain in 1944/45
c) a flight of 3 Arado 240s were operational over England (in 1942)
d) Many He177s ventured over England with very heavy bombloads in 1944, mostls as part of the 'Little Blitz' on Londond.

To have to fly a Spitfire against all that sort of Axis hardware would be amazing, and groundbreaking. No other sims model these planes.

Chivas
01-07-2006, 11:36 AM
It always nice to see extra aircraft. Oleg chose to do BOB first because he would have fewer aircraft to model, fit, and test into his hew engine. Personally I hope Oleg sticks to modelling the primary aicraft and then moves on to Malta, etc. He could leave the more obscure aircraft to freelance modelers giving him more time to concentrate on the next theater and their primary aircraft.

ImpStarDuece
01-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Danschnell:
IL2FB was grundbreaking, so it sold well. PF sold not so well because it had been done before by CFS2 and got boring.
I fear that BOB will do even worse because it has been done soooo many times before. There are many PC titles with the name 'Battle of Britain.'
However Oleg's BOB could be groundbreaking. So far all sims covering the Battle of Britain have limited themselves to the events of 1940. The title 'Battle of Britain' however does not imply that fighting over Britain only occured in 1940.
It would be wonderful to see other times covered that were not covered before by a sim. It would be truly unique to see the following events covered:
d) Many He177s ventured over England with very heavy bombloads in 1944, mostls as part of the 'Little Blitz' on Londond.

To have to fly a Spitfire against all that sort of Axis hardware would be amazing, and groundbreaking. No other sims model these planes.

Just an interesting note on the He-177 raids, also known as Operation Steinbock;

The accepted strategy was to climb to about 9,000-10,000m and then go to full power and maintain a shallow dive once entering Allied airspace. This gave them a max speed of about 700 km/h, and theoretical immunity from interception.

The problem with the operation was the unreliability of the He-177. On January 14th, 1944, 14 aircraft taxied out for attacks on London. One aircraft aborted on the run way. 13 took off. Eight of those who took off returned with engine trouble, several with engine fires. Four bombers actually reached London, but couldn't find their primary targets because of low, 3/8 cloud. One bomber was lost to causes unknown, and 3 of the original 14 aircraft actually completed the mission.

The Arado 234 flights over England in late 1944 are interesting. There were two semi-autonomous photo recon Kommandos that used them up until January 1945. They operated between 2-6 aircraft each (depending on engine availability) and made about 50 overflights of the British Isles before they were disbanded. When the Kommandos were disbanded the jets went to long range recon staffelin where they suffered their first casualty to enemy action in 6 months of flights; Hauptman Hans Felden was shot down by a 2TAF Tempest on 'rat-catching' operations around Rheine. Despite all the flights over the UK, the Arado jets never carried out bombing raids on England. In order to make the recce flights the jets carried two 300 litre drop tanks to stretch their range. With a bomb load range was effectively cut in half and they were unable to reach England from German bases. Most bombing sorties were fast low level pinprick attacks, carried out from Christmas Eve 1944 through to around the enod of March, 1945.

Chuck_Older
01-07-2006, 04:08 PM

Hi

The sim is very misunderstood; it is called "BoB" and a lot of players seem to think it will just be the Battle of Britain. It will not. There is a lot of info out about the sim, use the forum search feature and draw your own conclusions

csThor
01-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Chuck - At first it will be "just" the Battle of Britain in 1940. Additional stuff will come in AddOns.

Chuck_Older
01-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by csThor:
Chuck - At first it will be "just" the Battle of Britain in 1940. Additional stuff will come in AddOns.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Yes, I know all about it. The first part is Cliffs of Dover if I recall

I think you misunderstood me

csThor
01-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Your post was not that straightforward. Had you pointed out that you were talking about AddOns I wouldn't have posted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ohs88t
01-08-2006, 12:48 PM

I agree BOB sounds very limited and has been done quite well before like in EAW! Would like to see the game maybe start with the Battle of Britain and finish just before the Americans arrive. How about intruder missions and Rhubarbs using later Hurricanes, early Typhoons and Whirlwinds. Understand that BOB has a new graphics engine but does that mean we have to lose all the aicraft that we have taken 3 ganes to collect?

Chivas
01-08-2006, 01:27 PM
BOB is just not a new graphics engine, its the total package change. I'm sure he's probably used the old engine for a base but the aircraft structure has changed from the frame up, making atleast the damage model totally different. Converting the old aircraft to the new engine would probably be more work than just starting from scratch.

ElAurens
01-08-2006, 04:28 PM
I have a feeling that you nay sayers are going to change your tune rather quickly once BoB hits the shelves.

Take a look around the various forums that cater to us. Look at the tidbits that have been shown us so far. Sure, the scenario has been done before, but we are going to see a level of detail in every aspect of this sim, from objects, to FMs/DMs, to weather modeling, that has never been attempted before.

Mark my words here gents.

Chuck_Older
01-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ohs88t:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Danschnell:

I agree BOB sounds very limited and has been done quite well before like in EAW! Would like to see the game maybe start with the Battle of Britain and finish just before the Americans arrive. How about intruder missions and Rhubarbs using later Hurricanes, early Typhoons and Whirlwinds. Understand that BOB has a new graphics engine but does that mean we have to lose all the aicraft that we have taken 3 ganes to collect? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...but can't you see that this is you deciding to limit the sim, not the sim limiting you?

Danschnell's post is not the entire scope, and end all and be all of BoB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Nor does it list things that you will not be able to do. BoB will eventually cover other areas too...like I mentioned before, there is nothing secret about it, use the forum search and find out what's been said

You say the sim sounds limiting, and then say you'd like to limit the time frame http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Oleg Maddox's "Battle of Britain: Cliffs of Dover" will start off a new series similar to what you have now in terms of scope: it starts with a very detailed Battle of Britain scenario, and then expands.

Why on earth would you want to limit the sim to a time frame that ceases just prior to the "Americans" arriving? How does that help alleive limitation? I can't understand your viewpoint on this

starfighter1
01-09-2006, 02:47 AM
hi,
agree..
and even programming in OpenGL 2.0 ...
maybe BoB can port to Linux in the future
(hope so)

example: the new Global Scenery x-plane 8.21..
is running with fine performance on OpenGL

by the way: first we need only Great Britain
or a part of it as scenery and maps with first edition of BoB

future third party or pay addons to different european areas with special nice photoreal scenery mixed with historical maps and more http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Viking-S:
The only way to make the new simulation groundbreaking is to make sure that it supports and benefits from the latest (2006-7) hardware. Dual processors and 64 bit etc.
The rest will come naturally.

ohs88t
01-09-2006, 05:53 AM
Why on earth would you want to limit the sim to a time frame that ceases just prior to the "Americans" arriving? How does that help alleive limitation? I can't understand your viewpoint on this[/QUOTE]

I was working on the principle that BOB was the start of a multi game simulation like Il2/FB/PF. I thought that the second game could start when the Americans arrive in Europe otherwise we are going to have to buy alot of games to cover every air battle during the war.

darkhorizon11
01-10-2006, 06:10 PM
lets make sure we cover BoB thoroughly and get through 1940 before we worry about the late war stuff