PDA

View Full Version : Full Real?

Bikewer
01-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Been doing flightsims for a while; started out with CFS 1 way back when. Oleg's efforts are far and away the best I've seen.

Here's my little (and probably controversial) gripe:

I like the idea of the "full real" servers as well as anyone. Cockpit view, no externals, etc. Great stuff. We used to try to do this in CFS 1 with the great Chaps squad's "no F.U.N." games. (no enemy indicator, no map, cockpit view) Of course, there was no way to enforce this, it was honor only. Big problem...Enemy ID. With everyone on dial-up and screen resolutions typically rather low, it was just too hard to ID the enemy. Solution...Neon-colored aircraft. That's right, each side had blue, yellow, red, turquoise...didn't work too bad.

I'm finding the same difficulty now though. Even running much more potent rigs and cable internet, it's still just terribly difficult to identify the enemy aircraft. It comes down, in many cases, not to who's the better pilot, or who has the superior aircraft, but who's got the best rig. If you can run higher res, you have a bit of a leg up on the competition.

And we know that no matter how immersive the sim, it still isn't "real". We are not (generally) flying in formation with our equally-well-trained comrades, we seldom have radio communication, and the visibility on a computer screen is not the same as in real life.

All this is leading up to the proposition that I think that the "small-discrete" aircraft labels that are only visible at closer range are a good compromise.
There's at least one server that does this regularly, and I don't think it detracts from gameplay at all. It certainly makes it easier for those of us with older (hehe-58) eyes and not-so-uber rigs.

I flew on Greater Green last night for a couple of hours, with one early dawn map that was spectacular with the searchlights, flak, and all that. Really neat. But I only shot up a bomber because I knew "my" side didn't have any. Everything else was little black specks in the poor light.

Bikewer
01-31-2005, 04:53 PM
Been doing flightsims for a while; started out with CFS 1 way back when. Oleg's efforts are far and away the best I've seen.

Here's my little (and probably controversial) gripe:

I like the idea of the "full real" servers as well as anyone. Cockpit view, no externals, etc. Great stuff. We used to try to do this in CFS 1 with the great Chaps squad's "no F.U.N." games. (no enemy indicator, no map, cockpit view) Of course, there was no way to enforce this, it was honor only. Big problem...Enemy ID. With everyone on dial-up and screen resolutions typically rather low, it was just too hard to ID the enemy. Solution...Neon-colored aircraft. That's right, each side had blue, yellow, red, turquoise...didn't work too bad.

I'm finding the same difficulty now though. Even running much more potent rigs and cable internet, it's still just terribly difficult to identify the enemy aircraft. It comes down, in many cases, not to who's the better pilot, or who has the superior aircraft, but who's got the best rig. If you can run higher res, you have a bit of a leg up on the competition.

And we know that no matter how immersive the sim, it still isn't "real". We are not (generally) flying in formation with our equally-well-trained comrades, we seldom have radio communication, and the visibility on a computer screen is not the same as in real life.

All this is leading up to the proposition that I think that the "small-discrete" aircraft labels that are only visible at closer range are a good compromise.
There's at least one server that does this regularly, and I don't think it detracts from gameplay at all. It certainly makes it easier for those of us with older (hehe-58) eyes and not-so-uber rigs.

I flew on Greater Green last night for a couple of hours, with one early dawn map that was spectacular with the searchlights, flak, and all that. Really neat. But I only shot up a bomber because I knew "my" side didn't have any. Everything else was little black specks in the poor light.

LWulffe_Dumbo
01-31-2005, 06:12 PM
Salute, Bikewer!

I know exactly what you mean, friend...these tired old eyes (going on 47 years) strain when trying to identify bogeys with no icons.

Right or wrong, here's my solution...

I've mapped the "gunsight view" to my joystick. This enables me to zoom in visually on the target...almost like having a pair of binoculars. Then, once identified, I'll pull back into normal cockpit view...since I find the gunsight view too disorienting to fly around in.