PDA

View Full Version : opinions on thrustmaster joysticks

Oilburner_TAW
02-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Here is what I'm looking at http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=299911&pfp=SEARCH

I want a twist handle stick with rudder (willing to mix and match if absolutely necessary but would prefer not too). I bought an x52 and took it back the next day, the throw (extreme left to extreme right) is way to long for my tastes. I currently use a logitech wingman which I love (because I haven't found a more comfortable stick..fit's my hand perfectly). However, like most people who stick with logitech I'm on my 3rd stick in about a year and a half and the replacement cycle is getting old (plus I REALLY need a throttle). Besides the x52, the only thing I've found that matches what I'm looking for is the stick above...anybody have any experience with it?

Oilburner_TAW
02-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Here is what I'm looking at http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=299911&pfp=SEARCH

I want a twist handle stick with rudder (willing to mix and match if absolutely necessary but would prefer not too). I bought an x52 and took it back the next day, the throw (extreme left to extreme right) is way to long for my tastes. I currently use a logitech wingman which I love (because I haven't found a more comfortable stick..fit's my hand perfectly). However, like most people who stick with logitech I'm on my 3rd stick in about a year and a half and the replacement cycle is getting old (plus I REALLY need a throttle). Besides the x52, the only thing I've found that matches what I'm looking for is the stick above...anybody have any experience with it?

JunkoIfurita
02-04-2005, 06:58 PM
I owned a Top Gun Afterburner II for twelve months before I upgraded to an X52.

I understand your dislikes with it, I had to tweak it before I could use it.

As to the Afterburner, for a low-price throttle stick I couldn't imagine better - good response, nice feel, even looks good. After 6 months the throttle (which is mounted on a cheap plastic bearing, unfortunately) will start getting a little loose, and you might start wanting for buttons after a while.

The throttle remains quite useable, and my little brother is using my hand-me-down stick to devastating effect ^_^ He was getting more kills than me until I learned to use the X52 effectively.

In short, go for it!

----

freedspeak
02-04-2005, 10:10 PM
I recently bought an X-52 and my first reaction was the same. I cant use this thing. But it was too pretty to return so I decided to shelve it with hopes there will be a fix for it in the future.

In the meantime I bought a Logitech Freedom 2.4 cordless stick. It's good looking, works well, and it's nice not to be tethered by a wire. But alas after about a month the airlerons developed a frequent uncontrollable roll making landing rather perilous.

So out comes the X-52 again. I heard someone suggest the "dead zone" problem can be cured by setting all the sensitivity sliders in the input section of the game to 100% instead of a curve. Tried it and it worked. Now the stick is easy to get used to. It has a wealth of buttons and gizmos which can eliminate virtually all keyboard use. After a while I was flying pretty well with it and sticking landings with a bit of class (except for the P-38 .. that bird has such a fragile gear it doesn't take much of a rough landing to wind up in flames).

All in all I'd highly recommend the X-52. The weak spring can be stiffened up by inserting a wedge over the top of the spring ... similiar to the "spring rubbers" Nascar uses in their race cars. So yeah, try it, I think you'll like it.

NoBunny
02-04-2005, 10:59 PM
I have been an AfterburnerII owner for a year now and I love it. I like the quality and feel. Of course I would like a Cougar - Maybe next Christmas. The Afterburner has less buttons that I would like - but nothing that cant be mapped to your keyboard.

I used to go through Logitech's every 3 months - This stick has been wonderfull.

Kinda OT: But - The logitech Mx Laser mouse is also a great buy. Very percision device.

cwojackson
02-04-2005, 11:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by freedspeak:
I recently bought an X-52 and my first reaction was the same. I cant use this thing. But it was too pretty to return so I decided to shelve it with hopes there will be a fix for it in the future.

In the meantime I bought a Logitech Freedom 2.4 cordless stick. It's good looking, works well, and it's nice not to be tethered by a wire. But alas after about a month the airlerons developed a frequent uncontrollable roll making landing rather perilous.

So out comes the X-52 again. I heard someone suggest the "dead zone" problem can be cured by setting all the sensitivity sliders in the input section of the game to 100% instead of a curve. Tried it and it worked. Now the stick is easy to get used to. It has a wealth of buttons and gizmos which can eliminate virtually all keyboard use. After a while I was flying pretty well with it and sticking landings with a bit of class (except for the P-38 .. that bird has such a fragile gear it doesn't take much of a rough landing to wind up in flames).

All in all I'd highly recommend the X-52. The weak spring can be stiffened up by inserting a wedge over the top of the spring ... similiar to the "spring rubbers" Nascar uses in their race cars. So yeah, try it, I think you'll like it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have the same two sticks you have only this is my second Freedom 2.4. The first one lasted me about 18 months and I still like using it (the new one) when I am just relaxing.

Besides adding a plastic spacer to tighten the spring, I had more difficulty with the software then with the stick. The thing I love about the stick is the long throw. You can't slam it around, you have to finese it.