PDA

View Full Version : BoB Formation AI, here, only at the UBI BoB Forum

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Looking for ideas on how they will do aircraft formations in BoB. All the talk about "hundreds" of German bombers implies a central role for AI aircraft. Can AI be made to control more aircraft than traditional 4 aircraft formation found in all sims? In other words, can AI control an entire fighter squadron instead of just 4 fighters, possibly staggering the altitudes of the 2 or 4 element fighter flights, at least randomly?

How will AI handle mass bomber formations, with allowing individual aircraft to break away in panic or from damage? For the onwhiners, will AI formations of bombers and fighters still be available as well as humanoid opponents?

Don't know this, but were the Brits still using the 3 aircraft fighter formation in 1940? If so can it be done in contrast to the German 2 aircraft basic formation?

I know that's alot of questions. I got a million of them.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Looking for ideas on how they will do aircraft formations in BoB. All the talk about "hundreds" of German bombers implies a central role for AI aircraft. Can AI be made to control more aircraft than traditional 4 aircraft formation found in all sims? In other words, can AI control an entire fighter squadron instead of just 4 fighters, possibly staggering the altitudes of the 2 or 4 element fighter flights, at least randomly?

How will AI handle mass bomber formations, with allowing individual aircraft to break away in panic or from damage? For the onwhiners, will AI formations of bombers and fighters still be available as well as humanoid opponents?

Don't know this, but were the Brits still using the 3 aircraft fighter formation in 1940? If so can it be done in contrast to the German 2 aircraft basic formation?

I know that's alot of questions. I got a million of them.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 07:31 PM
I think Fighter Command squadrons used the Vic until Douglas Bader invented the line-abreast formation.

As it is a completely new program, there is no really good reason to assume they'll limit themselves to 4-plane flights. As Il-2 was originally developed as a one-plane ground-attack sim, Oleg and co. probably didn't really feel the need for large formations, as they aren't used in ground attack.

Philips CDRW

Posting vacuous messages since 2002

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 07:40 PM
I think that the Vic formation thing kinda dissolved as British pilots like Unwin and Bisdee realised that it wasn't working (formation flying taking too much concentration). We basically observed and copied the Germans on this one by all accounts.

<font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="2" >__________________

It's enough to make you want to hide in the wardrobe of darkness.
http://www.raf-cott.demon.co.uk/images/GR7%20top%20Dinas%20Mawddwy.jpg

<font size="1">Pentium 4 3Ghz 800Mhz FSB Hyperthreading | Abit IC7 Max 3 | 256Mb Radeon 9800 Pro |
2 x WD Raptor 10,000rpm S-ATA's (RAID 0) | 1Gb OCZ PC4000 Dual Channel Gold Series DDR |
Coolermaster 'Black Widow' | Zalman 7000-CPU Cooler | Track-IR | 3.5Ghz overclock | 940Mhz FSB |
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX | Microsoft FF2 Joystick | 3DMark2003:6234 | 3DMark2001SE:19568</font></font></p></p>

</p>