PDA

View Full Version : Utilities that would be great to have... BRAINSTORM!!

Bearcat99
05-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Another thread about Ntracks got me to thinking about this. Wouldn't it be great to have a utility that would automatically date & time stamp an Ntrack... I wonder how hard that would be to do? I know nothing about writing code.. but we have some really talented guys here.. Just look at all the great utilites we have........ bow Clap

What kind of stuff can some of you guys think of .. who knows.. maybe someone who knows how to do this can figure it out.

If you look at the evolutiuon of IL2 Manager & IL2 Stab.... you can get an idea of some of the possibilities. Look at MM & The UQMG... When IL2 came out none of this was around.. but someone saw the light bulb... knew how to light it... and 7 years later we have all this stiff... I wont even get into some of the other stuff.. like Hadballs viewer... , Vac, IL2 Wingman, IL2 sticks... and on and on....

I would also love to see a skin viewer... something that would allow us to load up skins without having to go into the sim... although when I am skinning I just leave it on and leave the Skins folder minimized.... What do you guys think....

Waldo.Pepper
05-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I am the kind of low tech solutions - so just rename the file to dd.mm.yyyy.ntrk by hand.

Bearcat99
05-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Yeah thats what I do now.... I keep a log book even... I actually just started doing that @ a week ago... but that was after I deleted over 300 Ntracks... I just couldn't wade through them.. So no offense... but kick into the thread.... if you don't have any good solutions... or no dreams.. even if they seem ... far fetched.. Remember when something beyond the QMB other than the FMB was far fetched? It isn't now...... so build this thread up.... or just read it and wait and see whathappens.. what can it hurt right?

EiZ0N
05-22-2007, 08:26 PM
I've always thought a skin viewer would be quite cool.

As far as I'm aware though, it's not do-able. Unless someone knows of some way to extract the aircraft models from the game.

Bearcat, about the tracks... I don't use tracks much. But from my understanding, you press a button in game to start recording a track? And when you're done, it saves a file to disk?

Won't each file have a date and timestamp anyway?

Put your records folder on Details view in windows, and you can sort them by date and time.

BloodyBucket
05-22-2007, 08:31 PM
My dream utility would show tracks in a simplified 3d environment, much like the feature in "Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" of yore.

EiZ0N
05-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately, I think that's impossible BloodyBucket.

A utility I'd really want is much like the Dgen view, however it hooks into the game for users of dual screen, and when you select an aircraft in the aircraft selection screen, it kicks up a list of important information.

I think this would be useful because for people who aren't up to speed on many aircraft (like me) it would help you choose an aircraft, and help you fly it.

I think it would probably be fairly simple to make. I don't know anything about how IL2 works internally, and perhaps someone can shed some light on this, but worst comes to worst perhaps it's memory-hackable so that the aircraft name can be retrieved...

In other words, an app that gives you critical information on the current aircraft you have selected in the game.

EiZ0N
05-22-2007, 08:41 PM
I have another idea regarding tracks.

It's useful to start recording a track with a button keypress, but at the end of the sortie it would be nice to name that track; if it was a decent track you might want to name it something interesting or relevant, yes?

This would be possible with an application silently running whilst the game runs, that could allow you to rename the last saved track from in game, perhaps with a keyboard shortcut (i.e. you hit a shortcut, then type the name for your track). The program would have to steal input from the keyboard I suppose.

Copperhead310th
05-22-2007, 08:58 PM
A flight log utility.
That Records everything in game.
Time flying
type
server flwn in.
rounds fired: gun statistics. total & per sorte
(Sortie being time from wheels up to next landing/death/crash/bail)
records all kills

basilcally we need some thing that does everything IL-2 manager, il-2 mat mananger, and IL2 Missions Log Reader does all roled into one. with an Email/upload to option.

Bearcat99
05-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by EiZ0N:

As far as I'm aware though, it's not do-able. Unless someone knows of some way to extract the aircraft models from the game.

Bearcat, about the tracks... I don't use tracks much. But from my understanding, you press a button in game to start recording a track? And when you're done, it saves a file to disk?

Won't each file have a date and timestamp anyway?

Put your records folder on Details view in windows, and you can sort them by date and time.

I forgot which incarnation it was.. I think it was either FB or AEP... but the quick record feature was added... you can assign a key to record tracks on the fly.. but it records data.. it isnt like an avi file or something... and when you do the Ntrack it numbers it... each track is the next number up... but you can edit the titles and name them.. so I was wondering if it might be possible to make a program that would look at the PC clock and just automatically renane the file from say quick0323.nrtk to 0522072335... for 05/22/07 2335... Then you could manually rem=name it to whatever you wanted based on the content.. but at least with a date & time stamp.. and maybe one with the length of the track... you could figure out what it was.

Huxley_S
05-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Simply the ability to combine tracks or fragments of tracks would be a massive improvement. It would allow for changes in time of day and weather within a track and make putting a movie together an easier and less intensive process.

Huxley_S
05-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Within the Full Mission Builder, a 'Training Mission' option, that would allow you to make your own interactive training missions complete with on-screen text. I'm talking about training missions that the user can actually fly rather than watch, with triggers that tell the player whether he got it right or not.

Huxley_S
05-22-2007, 10:43 PM
I would also love to see a skin viewer... something that would allow us to load up skins without having to go into the sim... although when I am skinning I just leave it on and leave the Skins folder minimized.... What do you guys think....

How about a skin painter that allows you to paint the skin while the skin is on the plane in 3D http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pollack2006
05-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Copperhead310th:
A flight log utility.
Time flying
type
server flwn in.
records all kills

basilcally we need some thing that does everything IL-2 manager, il-2 mat mananger, and IL2 Missions Log Reader does all roled into one. with an Email/upload to option.

Sounds like you need Sturmolog....

FoolTrottel
05-22-2007, 11:17 PM
so I was wondering if it might be possible to make a program that would look at the PC clock and just automatically renane the file from say quick0323.nrtk to 0522072335... for 05/22/07 2335... Then you could manually rem=name it to whatever you wanted based on the content.. but at least with a date & time stamp..
That should be doable, and not be too difficult.

Could be running in the background (but, that'll take up resources, and as disk access is involved, and the util would have to check for the existence of new files... dunno if that would be a wise thing)

However, a util one can start pre- or post- running IL2, could check wether new .ntrk files are present, and if so, rename them to their File date/time stamp...

And what Pollack said, there are tools that one can use for flight-loggin'...

Yellow_Sub
05-23-2007, 12:54 AM
I always thought an utility to reassign your key layout for IL2 would be nice. Having to start up the game just to reassign a key is a bit of an overkill. A print function should also be included. That would really help if you work on your joystick profiles.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-23-2007, 01:59 AM
That would be a great idea, Bearcat!

Or just make it like that: As an alternative, you can hit a key and enter a name for the file from within the game (e.g. after hitting refly)

Or for IL2, as an addon, a rename-tool with a hotkey.

Copperhead, you know Sturmolog? It comes pretty close to what you suggested. Doesn't IL2-Stab have a similar tool? I don't know though, if IL2-Stab also records online-logs. Sturmolog does for sure, though. You can gather your own stats, not only about your own skills but also about other players online.

Capt.LoneRanger
05-23-2007, 02:20 AM
This should go into the ORR and be a sticky, to give a few nice feature-ideas for BoB. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Bearcat99
05-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Copperhead310th:
A flight log utility.
Time flying
type
server flwn in.
records all kills

Look in the Essentials link.. there is Sturmolog, Log-O-Matic and The MLR.... I miosunderstood what you were saying....

Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:

Or just make it like that: As an alternative, you can hit a key and enter a name for the file from within the game (e.g. after hitting refly)

Copperhead, you know Sturmolog? It comes pretty close to what you suggested. Doesn't IL2-Stab have a similar tool? I don't know though, if IL2-Stab also records online-logs. Sturmolog does for sure, though. You can gather your own stats, not only about your own skills but also about other players online.

I think it'sa IL2 Manager that has that.. but one of them does... maybe both... I forgot ABOUT THAT... oops

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">so I was wondering if it might be possible to make a program that would look at the PC clock and just automatically renane the file from say quick0323.nrtk to 0522072335... for 05/22/07 2335... Then you could manually rem=name it to whatever you wanted based on the content.. but at least with a date & time stamp..
That should be doable, and not be too difficult. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't really see the point. You can view and sort the ntracks by their date and time anyway, regardless of the filename.

As I said earlier, I think it would be better to have a silently running app that allows you to rename your last saved track file from within the game.

Bearcat99
05-23-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Yellow_Sub:
I always thought an utility to reassign your key layout for IL2 would be nice. Having to start up the game just to reassign a key is a bit of an overkill. A print function should also be included. That would really help if you work on your joystick profiles.

Yeah that's a good idea too.. and thats doable as well.. I think it could just write it to the User config folder... all it would need would be a GUI.. Something like that would probably work best in conjunction with IL2 sticks or Joy 2 Key... Yeah that is a great idea too!! See this is what Im talking about.. good stuff....

ploughman
05-23-2007, 06:42 AM
I would like a trace to show the movement of aircraft through the sky that could then be viewed in a 3d viewer with pause, rewind, FF etc., As you moved along the trace key data like time,air speed, altitude and AoA, gun firing points are shown. As a learning tool, or a tool to allow reflection upon one's ace flying skills, it'd be da' bomb.

T_O_A_D
05-23-2007, 06:45 AM
I've often wondered why you couldn't rename it form the track viewing page, like you can with the trk ones.

All you can do is view it and delete it.

I know what you mean on giving up on viewing them. I did once I hade over 300 aswell, it took me several weeks to go through and rename, and delte the good and bad.

Now I try to only record and review a few at a time. I hardly ever get over 20 without going through them again.

Pollack2006
05-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
I would like a trace to show the movement of aircraft through the sky that could then be viewed in a 3d viewer with pause, rewind, FF etc., As you moved along the trace key data like time,air speed, altitude and AoA, gun firing points are shown. As a learning tool, or a tool to allow reflection upon one's ace flying skills, it'd be da' bomb.

Yep. ACMI is what we need for BoB.

Bearcat99
05-23-2007, 06:52 AM
I don't really see the point. You can view and sort the ntracks by their date and time anyway, regardless of the filename.
As I said earlier, I think it would be better to have a silently running app that allows you to rename your last saved track file from within the game.

Oh really? How.. short of editing them manually after you record them.... what if you dont get to it for a few days.. at least if they were date & time stamped you could get an idea of which ones they were in your head without having to watch them first.... if there is a way to do this then enlighten me because I dont know of it.

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Oh I see Bearcat, my mistake - you want the file names dated so you can see from within the track viewer.

Makes sense. I was getting confused, because you can actually see the date and time of each track from windows (but that wouldn't help in the track viewer).

In that case, it would be very simple to make an app to rename unnamed track files by their date and time. You could simply run it from windows, it would scan through each file in the directory, check the date and time stamp, and rename the file. You could control which track files it renamed in a number of ways, i.e. tell it to only rename tracks called "quick...".

If I had the time I'd nock it together, wouldn't take long atall. Maybe someone else can do it?

Bearcat99
05-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by T_O_A_D:
I've often wondered why you couldn't rename it form the track viewing page, like you can with the trk ones.

All you can do is view it and delete it.

I know what you mean on giving up on viewing them. I did once I hade over 300 aswell, it took me several weeks to go through and rename, and delte the good and bad.

Now I try to only record and review a few at a time. I hardly ever get over 20 without going through them again.

Exactly.....

That idea of Yellow sub's is good too... the only problem I see with it potentially is that the sim will not allow you to use the same input twice.. thereby eliminating conflicts... if a utility for programming keys was made it would have to do that as well.. but I bet something like that can be added to an updated Joy 2 Key...

horseback
05-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I've always wanted a utility or button added in-game that would allow me to print out the offline campaign mission brief and map or maps at the desired magnification before starting the mission.

It would make it a bit easier to turn off the map icons and add to immersion; real pilots carried their maps with them in the cockpit, so why can't I?

As for viewing skins, why can't we be able to sample them in the Object Viewer?

cheers

horseback

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 09:05 AM
See below for update
<STRIKE>Ok, despite saying I didn't have time, I've added a simple little track renaming tool to my current little editor I made before.

Currently, it looks like this:
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6922/trackrenamerrt5.th.jpg (http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trackrenamerrt5.jpg)

How it works:
There is a text box where you enter the name of the file(s) you want to be renamed. So if you wanted to rename all files that look like 'quick....ntrk" you use 'quick*.ntrk' or just 'quick*' or other such things.

This will show a list of tracks that fit that critera, then you can hit the 'Rename' button and it will rename them.

It uses the date that each track was last MODIFIED, not when it was created.

The filenames it gives depend on your system time/date format. For me, they look like:
11.02.2003_12.09.26.ntrk
which means
11/Feb/2003 at 12:09 and 26 seconds.

If you are in the US it would probably look like: 02.11.2003_12.09.26.ntrk (mm.dd.yyyy).

I realise this filename is not pretty, so I'd like suggestions

1) what the filenames should include, and any preference related to that
2) any other functionality you think the thing should have

You can test the app if you want: (BACKUP TRACKS FIRST) Download (36kb) (http://storm.elxx.net/thresh/1/IL2_Config_Editor.zip)
It's not pretty, and Needs .NET framework 2.0 </STRIKE>

SithSpeeder
05-23-2007, 10:10 AM
Nice, EiZon--

I would suggest renaming the files yyyy.mm-dd_hh.mm.ss.ntrk because otherwise, something recorded 11-July-2007 will be very near to 11-Jan-2005, per your sort list.

With this suggestion, it would be:

2005.01-11_hh.mm.ss.ntrk

It makes more sense to group them together chronologically, anyways.

YMMV.

* _54th_Speeder *

Chef-Scott
05-23-2007, 10:19 AM

Been using one for quite some time. You can get it here:
http://www.simmerspaintshop.com

It is in the downloads section --> Utilities --> IL-2 Series
Serval's Skin Manager 1.21

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by SithSpeeder:
Nice, EiZon--

I would suggest renaming the files yyyy.mm-dd_hh.mm.ss.ntrk because otherwise, something recorded 11-July-2007 will be very near to 11-Jan-2005, per your sort list.

With this suggestion, it would be:

2005.01-11_hh.mm.ss.ntrk

It makes more sense to group them together chronologically, anyways.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. I like your format, much better; all chronological.

I'll get on that.

EDIT
I decided to remove the seconds, so now it looks like:
2003.2.11_1209.ntrk
2003.2.11_1151.ntrk
2004.2.16_1921.ntrk

This could cause problems though if multiple tracks were recorded within the same minute, so I may add the seconds back in.

Originally posted by Chef-Scott:
Been using one for quite some time. You can get it here:
http://www.simmerspaintshop.com

It is in the downloads section --> Utilities --> IL-2 Series
Serval's Skin Manager 1.21

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
What I meant, and what I believe Bearcat meant, would be a 3D viewer, so you could see the skins in 3D, but I don't think this is possible without copies of the models.

Huxley_S
05-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by horseback:
I've always wanted a utility or button added in-game that would allow me to print out the offline campaign mission brief and map or maps at the desired magnification before starting the mission.

It would make it a bit easier to turn off the map icons and add to immersion; real pilots carried their maps with them in the cockpit, so why can't I?

That's a brilliant idea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

F16_Neo
05-23-2007, 11:20 AM
To print map / briefing screen:
You could probably use FS Capture if you configure it correctly.
If you hurry you can still get 5.3 freeware version from:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,64857-page,1-...ads/description.html (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,64857-page,1-c,downloads/description.html)
Official 5.5 version is trial-payware http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Ok I finished the track editor/renamer for now. For anyone who didn't read, the purpose is to rename your 50 thousand track files with dates, so that you can browse them more easily, as requested by Bearcat.

Files are renamed with the format:
2003.2.13_1718.ntrk
which represents
13th Feb 2003 at 17:18

Program is included in my config/icon editor utility (which contains other functionality, namely editing some detailed graphics settings, and an 'easy to use' icon RCU editor thing (I'd like some feedback on this actually http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif ).

Just dump exe in your game directory. Requires .NET Framework 2.0.

Download here (36kb):
Utility (http://storm.elxx.net/thresh/1/IL2_Config_Editor.zip)

Screenshot (why not?)
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7906/trackrenamerci0.th.jpg (http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trackrenamerci0.jpg)

FoolTrottel
05-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Anyone in for a test for a rather simple, straightforward mission briefing print utility?

MissPrint 1.0
Will send any image-like clipboard data directly to your printer! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
After printing, it will clear the clipboard.

How to use it?
Fire up MissPrint.exe. (It will start Minimized, and looks like it uses 2Mb of memory)

While in Mission Briefing, scale the map to your liking, and scroll the mission brief text to the part that matters.

Press PrintScreen.... your map and text will be sent to your default printer...

Done with IL2? Close MissPrint...

Warning!
Any other pressing of PrintScreen-key may (and will!) lead to undesirable results... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
(All clipboard data will be printed!)
So, after you've printer your mission, set printer to offline (switch it off, or remove its paper!)

May look like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/fooltrottel/MissPrint01.jpg
** EDIT: Should you use a color printer, chances are output will be in color! ***

Any ideas to improve it are welcome, but mind you, I intend to keep it simple:
- The thing just prints Portrait on about A4 or Letter width or thereabouts.
- No, I cannot rotate the image so one can print landscape (Setting printer to landscape won't help...)
- There's no way for me to try and figure out if IL2 is started or not, or figure out in what state it is (Menu, brief, in cockpit or wathever..)

Anyone wanna try and see if it is usefull and worth publishing? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
If so, PM me with an email address and I'll send you a securely packed MissPrint.exe file. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Nice work. I would check your utility, but my printer is out of toner.

Why can't you rotate the image though?

FoolTrottel
05-23-2007, 01:12 PM
Why can't you rotate the image though?

Haven't found out yet, using a too simple/old development tool, lack of time, lack of energy or simply lack of inspiration... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Heh heh.

What did you write it in?

FoolTrottel
05-23-2007, 01:15 PM
VB6 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

FoolTrottel
05-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey, just thought of a possible solution...
Will try now, be back later...
(Call that inspiration...!)

Eizon, are you sure the usage of . and underscore in them track filenames will work okay at playback? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
(I remember there were some weird issues with track names, but that might just be me...)

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 01:19 PM
It'd be simple with GDI+

Not sure if VB6 suppots GDI+ though.

And I've no idea how you do it with GDI (non+). It'd probably be slow. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Having said that, I doubt it would matter.

Eizon, are you sure the usage of . and underscore in them track filenames will work okay at playback? Eek
(I remember there were some weird issues with track names, but that might just be me...)
I have no idea http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I've not tested that. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

FoolTrottel
05-23-2007, 02:01 PM
GDI+?

Well, I've found it is doable in VB6... using its standard controls... but indeed, slow... too slow... waaaay too slow.

GDI+ ... will look into it...ty

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 03:06 PM
From Wikipedia:

"GDI is a Microsoft Windows standard for representing graphical objects and transmitting them to output devices such as monitors and printers.

Essentially, GDI is what draws the windows and everything you see. In Windows XP, GDI was 'deprecated' in favour of C++ based GDI+. GDI+ is an improved 2D graphics environment.

The Microsoft .NET class library provides a managed interface for GDI+ via the System.Drawing namespace."

Thus, using System.Drawing you can do all this stuff very easily. From memory, I believe you could do something like:

System.Drawing.Graphics g = theBitmap.getGraphics()
g.RotateTransform(90 degrees)

Essentially, what's going on there is, you're getting a reference to the internal graphic of the bitmap, and you use the Graphics class method to rotate it.

I'd have GUESSED that this is possible in GDI (as opposed to GDI+ which I've used quite a lot), but I really have no idea having never used GDI.

WWSensei
05-23-2007, 05:05 PM
The file renaming can be done in 13 lines of a batch file. No need for anything else.

---------------------

@echo off
setLocal EnableDelayedExpansion
for %%? in (quick*.ntrk) do (
for /F "tokens=1-6 delims=/-: " %%A in ("%%~t?") do (
set MONTH=%%A
set DAY=%%B
set YY=%%C
set YEAR=%%C
set HOUR=%%D
set MIN=%%E
set AP=%%F
if "!AP!"=="PM" set /A HOUR += 12
ren %%~s? !YEAR!!MONTH!!DAY!-!HOUR!!MIN!%%~x?
)
)

Cut and paste that into notepad and save it to something like "rename.bat" into your tracks directory.

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 05:20 PM
But that's no fun!

Better to have a utility :P

Copperhead310th
05-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Copperhead310th:
A flight log utility.
Time flying
type
server flwn in.
records all kills

Look in the Essentials link.. there is Sturmolog, Log-O-Matic and The MLR.... I miosunderstood what you were saying....

Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:

I think it'sa IL2 Manager that has that.. but one of them does... maybe both... I forgot ABOUT THAT... oops </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry was gettin on late last night when i wrote that bc. i'll clearify that in a fe min. i have to go back and find my post from the thread where you got this idea. i posted it all there. but i'll go find it and repost it here since it's relivant.

Bearcat99
05-23-2007, 07:05 PM
D@@@@@MN!! You guys are amazing..LOL... Ez thats a nice piece of kit there... see what I mean though? You see how long that took? In less than 24 hours we have two solutions to a problem, personally I like Sensei's better since it is virtually invisible... but thats what I am talking about!!!

I dunno.... I just think that this community is so talented in so many ways... I am going to try Sensei's script right now...

I had something similar to that that would set your speedbar to mph... open the canopy, drop the flaps, start the engine and turn on the nav lights that 99th_RedDiamond AKA UCLANUPE came up with.. I dont use it because I would rather do that myself.. and the speed bar thing gets out of synch so I just set a macro for it.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

Divine-Wind
05-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by WWSensei:
The file renaming can be done in 13 lines of a batch file. No need for anything else.

---------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
@echo off
set MONTH=%%A
set DAY=%%B
set YY=%%C
set YEAR=%%C
set HOUR=%%D
set MIN=%%E
set AP=%%F
)
)

Cut and paste that into notepad and save it to something like "rename.bat" into your tracks directory. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
computer geek lol

Seriously though, how do you decipher that!? I'm amazed at this kind of stuff.

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Heh heh.

Actually we have two solutions to one problem, and another solution to another (FoolTrottel's utility which lets you print mission briefs and maps in-game).

Hey, mine's quite invisible! Only 100kb unzipped, just shove it in the directory http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif Plus, it has that RCU editor http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Bearcat99
05-23-2007, 07:18 PM
True.. and I just tried Sensei's script and it didn't work..

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Oops, it doesn't work for me either.

It returns "The system cannot find the file specified".

I don't know what's wrong with the code because I've never really used batch commands before.

Bearcat99
05-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh man.. I clicked it and it worked.. it renamed all the ntracks..LOL..

But see now I can look at the time stamp and get a pretty good idea of which tracks are accidental key hits and delete them right off... It seems you have to hit the batch file...

Bearcat99
05-23-2007, 07:38 PM

What I meant, and what I believe Bearcat meant, would be a 3D viewer, so you could see the skins in 3D, but I don't think this is possible without copies of the models.

Yes that is what I meant..

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Renamed them ALL? Not just the quick* ones?

I assume you're talking about my util rather than Senseis batch file.

If it's the latter, maybe I should have put some instructions http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Whoopsy daisy.

If you hit "Rename All" in my util, it will rename all of the tracks you can see in the list, which can be filtered using the text box (i.e. the default is 'quick*.ntrk' which will only delete the quicksave ones). Or you can rename by selecting some and using the "Rename Selected" jobby.

Or even right click selected ones and type a name in.

Bearcat99
05-23-2007, 07:47 PM
No Senseis.. it renamed all the numbered ntracks... well not all it acually left a few as the were.. but what I thought was a track length number was actually a time stmp.. so there is still no way of knowing how long the track is. Ill try your utility next.. but Mamabear is paging me... (The call from the top of the stairs with the obligatory.. "OK baby.." answer.. so BRB,,n a few

EiZ0N
05-23-2007, 07:56 PM
I was thinking of contriving some kind of formula for converting ntrak filesize into a "duration" estimation.

It would be a lengthy process though, I'd have to take samples from quite a few tracks and record how long they were, and then try and map that to a duration for other tracks.

I'm going to bed soon, but if anyone fancies doing a little experiment:

Play back a track, and record how long it lasts (could use time compression, as long as it was consistent).
Note how large the filesize was.

Doing that for 10-20 tracks could give a decent idea for making a duration estimation.

AKA_TAGERT
05-23-2007, 09:43 PM
I would like a util that sorts the names of all the super model chicks I have dated this year by can size.. and if that does not use up all the mem on my PC than last year too!

WWSensei
05-23-2007, 10:03 PM
The problem with ntrks and length is that it isn't a constant with filesize. For example, ntrks made with TIR are generally much larger than those with normal hat views for the same amount of time. I've seen two tracks, both 20 mins in duration be significantly different in size because of that. Obviously, because there is a lot more looking around when you have TIR so more to record. Unless the length can be pulled from inside the file itself not sure how you would do it externally.

As for the batch file I wrote it's straight forward. I wrote it to only look for the tracks starting with "quick" but if you wanted to rename them all you could just change the one one for loop where it says "quick*.ntrk" to "*.ntrk" and it would rename them all.

Now, I only tested it on XP and English XP at that so all bets are off for any foreign language OS's. It might work but that depends on how default directory listings are done for different languages.

As for the code and explaining it. OK, here goes.

@echo off

Don't print out all the commands

Allow expansions so we can use the ! operator for string substitution.

Start a loop to step through each file in the local directory that starts with the name "quick" and ends with ".ntrk"

Start a second loop for each file listed in the first loop, divide it into 6 columns delimited by a / or - or : or space

set MONTH=%%A

Make the variable MONTH equal to the first of the 6 columns. MONTH is not a predefined variable--it could have been any name.

set DAY=%%B

Make the variable DAY equal to the second of the 6 columns.

set YY=%%C

Duplicate line left over from an earlier test. Not needed and can be safely deleted making the solution 12 lines long instead of 13. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

set YEAR=%%C

Make the variable YEAR equal to the third of the 6 columns.

set HOUR=%%D

Make the variable HOUR equal to the fourth of the 6 columns.

set MIN=%%E

Make the variable MIN equal to the fifth of the 6 columns.

set AP=%%F

Make the variable AP equal to the sixth of the 6 columns.

If the variable AP is equal to "PM" then add 12 hours to the HOUR variable to make it a 24 hour clock.

Rename the filename from the first loop (stored in the predefined variable %%~s?) with the concatenated string made of up of YEAR,MONTH,DAY, then a dash, then HOUR and MIN. The %%~x is a predefine which is equal to the extension. Means it adds the original ".ntrk" tot he end of the newly renamed file.

)
)

Closes the loops.

Took about 5 mins to figure out and write.

Bearcat99
05-23-2007, 10:14 PM
RGR... it is still good to have the date time stamp opn the ntrk.. now I dont have to go into explorer.. I can do it straight from within the sim.

mbfRoy
05-23-2007, 10:40 PM
No Senseis.. it renamed all the numbered ntracks... well not all it acually left a few as the were.. but what I thought was a track length number was actually a time stmp.. so there is still no way of knowing how long the track is. Ill try your utility next.. but Mamabear is paging me... (The call from the top of the stairs with the obligatory.. "OK baby.." answer.. so BRB,,n a few
keep in mind that the tracks not renamed will be the ones that have exactly the same MM/DD/YY/HH:MM as another one, so if you sort them by date you may spot the short ones (in length) easily.

EiZ0N
05-24-2007, 04:25 AM
The problem with ntrks and length is that it isn't a constant with filesize. For example, ntrks made with TIR are generally much larger than those with normal hat views for the same amount of time. I've seen two tracks, both 20 mins in duration be significantly different in size because of that. Obviously, because there is a lot more looking around when you have TIR so more to record. Unless the length can be pulled from inside the file itself not sure how you would do it externally.

As for the batch file I wrote it's straight forward. I wrote it to only look for the tracks starting with "quick" but if you wanted to rename them all you could just change the one one for loop where it says "quick*.ntrk" to "*.ntrk" and it would rename them all.

Now, I only tested it on XP and English XP at that so all bets are off for any foreign language OS's. It might work but that depends on how default directory listings are done for different languages.

Regarding the ntrack filesizes, yeah I pretty much realised whilst lying in bed that, the filesize isn't going to be constant. For starters, it would depend how many people were in the server or whatever,and like you say, how much moving around each player does etc. So that's pretty much out of the window.

As for the batch file, I'm on English UK XP, and I've had no luck getting it to rename the files http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Bearcat99
05-24-2007, 05:46 AM
That's starnge.. you'd think it would work... I always thought XP was XP....

Originally posted by mbfRoy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
keep in mind that the tracks not renamed will be the ones that have exactly the same MM/DD/YY/HH:MM as another one, so if you sort them by date you may spot the short ones (in length) easily. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No it renames the ones labelled quick000.ntrk.. but for some reason it left 4 of them as they were.. no biggie though.. and from there on out when I ran a new one last night.. initially when it started to record it said starting ntrk 0513.. but when I looked in the folder afterwards it had the correct stamp on it.. so it works.

mbfRoy
05-24-2007, 06:05 AM
That's starnge.. you'd think it would work... I always thought XP was XP....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mbfRoy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bearcat99:
keep in mind that the tracks not renamed will be the ones that have exactly the same MM/DD/YY/HH:MM as another one, so if you sort them by date you may spot the short ones (in length) easily. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No it renames the ones labelled quick000.ntrk.. but for some reason it left 4 of them as they were.. no biggie though.. and from there on out when I ran a new one last night.. initially when it started to record it said starting ntrk 0513.. but when I looked in the folder afterwards it had the correct stamp on it.. so it works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, it renames quick*.ntrk files indeed, what I mean is that, if you have 2 or more quick*.ntrk with the same MM/DD/YY/HH:MM (both created within the same minute, hour, day, month and year) it won't be able to rename both since it's a batch process; it'll pick one, rename it, and get an error on the next one stating that there's a file with that name already.

It's not an error actually, since you can't have 2 files with the same name. You can use that "feature" though to tell which of the two (or more) files can go to the bin if you sort them by date in the explorer window, and check their size.

JarheadEd
05-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Just found a neat one made by LSA_66.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/7561072165

WWSensei
05-24-2007, 08:18 AM
As for the batch file, I'm on English UK XP, and I've had no luck getting it to rename the files http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

It won't run automatically (no trigger from the game to kick it off). You have to put it in the 'records' directory and either run it from a DOS shell or doubleclick on it in explorer. English UK version should work unless you have changed your default settings for directory displays.

Bearcat, mbfRoy is correct, the ones it is not renaming is because they would end up with the exact same name. If you want I can correct it by making the original name part of the new name as well. Something like "20070503-1820-quick0001.ntrk"

FoolTrottel
05-24-2007, 09:52 AM
MissPrint has got one tester now... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

And I have found a way to seperate the briefing-print-on-the-printer from the Grab0000.tga-function, by editing conf.ini:

[HotKey game]
<Your Screenshot Key Here>=ScreenShot
;PrintScreen=ScreenShot
P=pause
Pause=pause

- Semicolon in front of the default
- Make sure <Your Screenshot Key Here> is a previously non-assigned one!

+ Pressing <Your Screenshot Key Here> will result into a grabxxxx.tga,
+ Pressing PrintScreen will result in a screen print on your default printer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

EiZ0N
05-24-2007, 11:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EiZ0N:

It won't run automatically (no trigger from the game to kick it off). You have to put it in the 'records' directory and either run it from a DOS shell or doubleclick on it in explorer. English UK version should work unless you have changed your default settings for directory displays.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Heh, yeah I know, not sure why it didn't work.

I tried it with a single quick* file (i only had one), and it didn't want to rename it. I have no idea why, because I've tried it since and it worked fine.

Bearcat99
05-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by mbfRoy:

It's not an error actually, since you can't have 2 files with the same name. You can use that "feature" though to tell which of the two (or more) files can go to the bin if you sort them by date in the explorer window, and check their size.

Rgr.. I understand now.. and thats probably what happened...

JG53Harti
05-25-2007, 05:34 AM
MissPrint has got one tester now... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

And I have found a way to seperate the briefing-print-on-the-printer from the Grab0000.tga-function, by editing conf.ini:

http://www.ubisoft.de/smileys/3.gif

Henkie327
05-27-2007, 05:49 AM
a nice utility would be a separate ntrk player.

I mean a utility that you can view/edit ntrk's without starting the game.

And to go with it the ability to convert it to an .avi or something like that.

EiZ0N
05-27-2007, 06:18 AM
Impossible, Henkie327 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Feathered_IV
05-27-2007, 06:47 AM
A couple of years ago Baldie Jr posted this:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/248...481011173#2481011173 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2481011173?r=2481011173#2481011173)

Can this script be modified to turn the nav lights off completely? Or maybe a super slow blink?

Also, some hack to reduce hud font size would be great.

FoolTrottel
05-30-2007, 11:45 PM
GDI+ does not work for VB6, so there's no way I can rotate the print... Too bad.

And a tip: Be carefull to what key you use to assign the =ScreenShot to... I used Y, but this does leave me with some rather undesired grab000x.tga's whenever I'm online and use the chatbar and type words like 'you' or 'yes' or 'yo-yo'.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

T_O_A_D
06-01-2007, 08:01 AM
As for printing the briefing, I'd be happy with a hot key like for the map to bring up the text from the Brief while in the mission.

Just so I don't keep waisting paper.

I would like to play with your track renaming, but it won't be till Sunday probably

FoolTrottel
06-01-2007, 09:50 AM
(...) Just so I don't keep waisting paper.(...)
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gifMissPrint uses only the top half of an A4 paper. After the first one's used up, load it rotated 180dgrs, after that one flip it upside down and repeat.
4 missions on one piece of paper...

Bearcat99
06-01-2007, 08:40 PM
As for printing the briefing, I'd be happy with a hot key like for the map to bring up the text from the Brief while in the mission.

Just so I don't keep waisting paper.

I would like to play with your track renaming, but it won't be till Sunday probably

Yeah that would be good.. I wonder if there is a way to pull up two maps.. or set a key switch between the map and the brief... Like.... find out exactlyh where the map gets its info from and then assign it to the brief.. with a toggle...

Bearcat99
06-05-2007, 08:18 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

FoolTrottel
06-06-2007, 12:11 PM
MissPrint 1.2 is now able to print the brief in Landscape. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Availability: PM me and leave an email address.

FoolTrottel
06-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Bump for attention.

(Need to know if MissPrint is worth 'Publishing' somewhere... as for now it looks like it is not http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif)

FoolTrottel
06-27-2007, 02:30 PM
MissPrint 1.3 now tries to remove them black borders... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/fooltrottel/MissPrint03.jpg

And you can set it to print using 'Draft' quality... Saves a bit of toner/ink.

T_O_A_D
06-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the reminder, I'll look into it, I forgot all about this prog.

EiZ0N
06-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Nice FoolTrottel, I see you got it rotating http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

How's about making the brief black on white (i.e. filtering out the blue stuff).

Will make for less ink wastage http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Bearcat99
06-28-2007, 06:26 AM
MissPrint 1.3 now tries to remove them black borders... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/fooltrottel/MissPrint03.jpg

And you can set it to print using 'Draft' quality... Saves a bit of toner/ink.

You need to adda link to this in your sig.

FoolTrottel
06-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Nice FoolTrottel, I see you got it rotating http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

How's about making the brief black on white (i.e. filtering out the blue stuff).

Will make for less ink wastage http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Yup, I'm all for it... problem is... MissPrint just grabs the bitmap from the Clipboard... Any bitmap http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Just assuming it ís a Mission Brief, it draws some white rectangles on the bitmap, (I just recorded at which pixel they should start and stop) then prints it... (Not even by rotating the image, but by telling the printer to use Landscape http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif)

Wouldn't now how to interpret that bitmap... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

FoolTrottel
06-28-2007, 09:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
(...)

You need to adda link to this in your sig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not yet, it aint ready yet! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
(for now it's only available via PM...)

T_O_A_D
07-16-2007, 07:06 PM
I would like for Training purposes only.

When hosting a training mission, the host could not only ride in the same aircraft, but toggle failures.

Loss of Alerion, rudder,elevator, engine, etc.

I know its not exactly a Utility, but I just had to say it.

EiZ0N
07-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Maybe all that is possible with memory hacking?

I would not know how though.

FoolTrottel,you could filter out all colour that is not pure black, in order to remove the blue background.

Perhaps I could write a DLL to do this for you which you could incorporate, although I don't know if that's possible with you using VB6.

You should get hold of visual studio 2005