PDA

View Full Version : Buying a DVD-RW that works with Myst IV

bjonhigh
01-05-2005, 04:09 PM
I have Myst IV Revelation and have read through the threads here concerning DVD-RW problems. What is missing from the discussion is any advice for those of us who need to purchase a new DVD-RW to play the game but want the right device for future needs as well. What features are required for Myst IV to work properly in a new DVD RW? Any particular device recommendations would also be appreciated if appropriate.

bjonhigh
01-05-2005, 04:09 PM
I have Myst IV Revelation and have read through the threads here concerning DVD-RW problems. What is missing from the discussion is any advice for those of us who need to purchase a new DVD-RW to play the game but want the right device for future needs as well. What features are required for Myst IV to work properly in a new DVD RW? Any particular device recommendations would also be appreciated if appropriate.

maztec
01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
pioneer or plextor

sayliffe
01-05-2005, 04:47 PM
It seems like there are two different problems with the distribution. One involves safedisc antitheft technology. The other involved being able to read dual-layer disks. The first (I think) is solved with a patch. The second can be fixed by Ubisoft simply re-distributing on 3 DVD's instead of two. Then 99% of all of the DVD-ROM players installed out there would work just fine.

Am I wrong ?

Scott
Dallas

bjonhigh
01-05-2005, 07:38 PM
So do you have to buy a dual layer burner to read dual layer disks? DVD-RW specs don't seem to mention whether they read dual layer or not. Or at least I don't know what to look for in the spec.

Thanks

maztec
01-05-2005, 11:32 PM
don't need a dual layer burner to read a dual layer disk. but they're guaranteed to work.

Basically if it's made in the last year or has a firmware made in the last 8 months you should be fine.. although I haven't had any complaints about any pioneer or plextor drives.

maztec
01-05-2005, 11:35 PM
sayliffe: Ubi is not going to redistribute on 3DVD's. Plain and simple not going to happen. It's a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place, it's caused by poor design within a few common DVD manufacturers. Most of the majors that are known for putting out good drives have no problem. Whereas LG which is known for putting our drives with issues has no end of issues related to this. They're even putting out new drives, despite knowing this is a problem, with the same problem.

Ok, I'll be more accurate. It's not very likely Ubi will redistribute on 3DVD's. There's a whole pile of reasons. From the obvious one of manufacturing cost, to the less obvious ones dealing with having to add disk switching handling within the game (currently doesn't exist since it's all on one DVD) and modifying the installer and game configuration to handle knowing which disk to use and install from/etc...

Maz

Graystar_Mist
01-05-2005, 11:46 PM
I had to purchase a DVD player for this game. I went to www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com) (the BEST place to buy computer hardware) and ordered the first DVD player I saw, which was an NEC. Seems to work just fine.

You want model ND-3520A. It's a dual-layer burner that does it all. Make sure you get the model that comes with software. It's 66 bucks for black, 69 bucks for beige.

Good luck.

bjonhigh
01-05-2005, 11:54 PM
I have ordered the Plextor 716A dual layer burner. Thanks Maztec.

sayliffe
01-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Maz,

Thanks for the reply on UBI's issues with distribution. I am now playing in another age besides Tomahna so I believe I am in the clear on being able to read the 2nd DVD (dual density) with my el-cheapo DVD-ROM.

thanks.

Scott

MaxdogAAAAAAAAA
01-15-2005, 05:58 PM
I am playing Myst lV and so far have no problems. Prior to buying Myst lV I decided to check out the forums for it because of Far Cry(earlier Ubi game). I am a die hard Myst fan. I did not just want to play Myst lV, my sanity required me to do so. I came to the following conclusion after reading posts for the past 2 months.

1. Ubi Soft is going to use Safedisc etc. whether it is right or not. Be prepared to possibly temporarily delete/disable burner software you have on your system or do not buy the game.

2.If you want to play current games have at least the minimun requirements and then some for all the bells and whistles to work. Be prepared to possibly spend a few dollars if you want to play with the current technology irregardless of what a fantastic system the place you bought/built it from told you.

3. Always read all the posts in regards to any problems you have/might have and do so with an open mind. Pay attention to what the Moderator's say (PM etc,)

I realise that some people get games as gifts etc. but the above apply. I believe that with curent technology for games you have to do all of the above before before opening the box and attempting to install any of the new PC games.

In answer to what DVD-RW to buy, I bought a Plextor 716a at Costco(Price Club) and so far after following the "what to do prior to installing" thread every thing seems fine. It cost me $169.00 CDN but came with a $30.00 US refund and a coupon for $25.00 worth of media for it so about $100.00 altogether.Hope this helps someone.

My system is as follows
Video card: Nivida 400mx 128mg
CPU: Intel 1.7 ghz
Sound Card: O/B VIA Technologies
DVD: Plextor 716A

Thanks maztec,clifjcb,bjonhigh and others.