PDA

View Full Version : Your recommendations about a FFB joystick

Wildnoob
09-24-2009, 08:33 PM
hello!

my current old X52 is with a lot of issues, like make conflict with the trim wheels when change the view after using them, so urgently need to replace it.

was thinking in buy a FFB joystick to add more realism to my fligths, altougth some people already told me that is not as wounderful as it seems.

if possible would like to hear your opinions about this folks - perhaps it's just a myth from bad experiences with less quality devices used by the ones who told this - and wat models do you recommend?

I even can make a considerable investment with my new stick in order to have quality and no issues for a long time (my X52 last almost 2 and half years, and that lifespan is more well then enough for me, despite I know a good joystick can be used for a lot more time, and the X52 itself is totally capable of have much more longer life, excellent product, not a common thing, but I had bad luck with my one), so can be more expensive models.

thanks since now!

Odie1974
09-26-2009, 10:47 AM
It looks like lots of folks like MSFFB2 stick - you can get them off e-bay pretty cheap these days. I recently got mine for 50 USD - will need to see how it works, as I have not installed it yet, but am planning to replace the Saitek Evo with it.

I would say that flying with FB is a better experience than without it - TBH I have removed the FB files responsible for gunshake effects from the game, as they were not helping with my poor gunnery lol. The inflight effects are still there though.

I would not want to revert to non FB flying now (that's why my X52 stick serves as the button bay).

So if your throttle is OK I would look to get just the stick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

or you can always get the newest hottest logitech stuff - but if it was me personally, I would not shell out the big bucks for it.
Cheers

WTE_Galway
09-26-2009, 05:18 PM
+1 on the MSFFB2

Been out of production a while though so brand new ones are rare

Frankthetank36
09-27-2009, 10:51 AM
I had a Logitech Wingman a while ago and it would shake up and down like crazy when I let my hand off the stick, eventually the motor wore out from it. Not sure if that's the case with all FFB sticks but it sure was weird.

Xiolablu3
09-27-2009, 11:07 AM
If you have a gameport on your soundcard or anywhere else then a MS FF Pro is worth a look. You can pick them up for under 10.

BUT make sure you have a gameport first. Or buy an old soundcard, turn off the sound features and just use the gameport on it like I did.

http://www.ntrautanen.fi/computers/other/images/sidewinder_ff_pro.jpg

Nice and sturdy FF stick which is a bargain compared to the MS FF2 becasue it has a gameport connection and not USB. Not many can be bothered to get a gameport on their PC anymore.

If you havent got a gameport OR are not comfortable with tinkering around in PC's then this maybe not the option for you.

Mine works great on my Audigy 2 gameport. Its really not too much hasssle to get working even if you havent a gameport. Old soundcards with a gameport, such as a SB Live or old SB, are around 3 on ebay.

Xiolablu3
09-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Frankthetank36:
I had a Logitech Wingman a while ago and it would shake up and down like crazy when I let my hand off the stick, eventually the motor wore out from it. Not sure if that's the case with all FFB sticks but it sure was weird.

Most FF sticks have a little tiny hole in the handgrip somewhere, when this is covered by your hand, then the FF is on, when its not the FF switches off. It often gets full of dirt and sweat which means FF gets locked on all the time.(the dirt fools the stick into thinking hte hole is covered by your hand) It just needs cleaning out with a pin or something when this happens, then it will work as it should.

Your stick 'hole' likely just needed a clean out.

Frankthetank36
09-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Alot of other people have had that problem with Logitech FFB sticks actually. Which is too bad because now I have a Logitech Extreme 3D pro and love it, I'd get the FFB version if I didn't have to worry about that problem. So does anyone make a FFB stick with a crapton of buttons like you'd find on an X52 or CH Fighterstick?

Manu-6S
09-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Frankthetank36:
Alot of other people have had that problem with Logitech FFB sticks actually.

I had 2 of them and both got broken in 3 months... now I've an x52 and it's ok.

FF joysticks give more feelings, but usually they are really fragile.

TooCooL34
09-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Manu-6S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankthetank36:
Alot of other people have had that problem with Logitech FFB sticks actually.

I had 2 of them and both got broken in 3 months... now I've an x52 and it's ok.

FF joysticks give more feelings, but usually they are really fragile. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fragile, never, MS' is sturdier than any joystick out on market. Too bad they don't produce it anymore.
Logitech was worst case.

+1 for MSFFB2 if you can get one.

FoolTrottel
09-27-2009, 11:47 AM
My recommendation: Guillemot FFB Joystick

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v668/fooltrottel/GuillemotFFB.jpg

+ It's heavy, and sturdy.
+ Rubber belts transfer the power from the electric motors to the stick. Feels great.
+ Twelve buttons

- It's old and rare, it won't work with Vista or Windows 7.

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Don't forget that the Logitech G940 just came out, a FFB HOTAS with pedals. And the Saitek X65 will be out soon and I think it may be FFB as well.

The.Tyke
09-28-2009, 03:49 AM
FFB is definately the best. My FFB2 is in the loft on enforced rest awaiting SOW, whenever that might be !!