PDA

View Full Version : Idea for the DRM, take a look Ubi/Others

Mercenary_FH
03-17-2010, 03:36 AM
I think maybe were taking the wrong attitude with this whole DRM thing, ya it sucks......but it's here and regardless I dont blame Ubisoft for just COMPLETELY taking it off.

What we need is a NEW idea for a way to let them have a DRM without needing a constant internet connection.

So I thought of one:
How about this.
You buy the game, you need to register the game with a Username/Password etc.

EVERY X hours(ex: every 24 hours), the game needs to connect to the servers ONCE to retrieve a code...or authentication or w/e. Then doesn't need to connect again for another X hours.

The Initial Authentication/Keycode comes with your game like Normal (maybe even a username comes with ur name, randomly generated?)

The Game saves like every normal game on your computer, but when it connects Uploads checkpoints. That way you have a 2 way system of saving your data (on your computer, and on the servers)

Pro's:
*Dont need a CONSTANT internet connection
*"Prevents" Piracy
*Easy to Implement
*Only need to connect once per day
*Gives the Option of saving the game also on your computer

Con's:
*You still have to connect, ONCE per day. although I think this isn't such a big deal.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

Mercenary_FH
03-17-2010, 03:36 AM
I think maybe were taking the wrong attitude with this whole DRM thing, ya it sucks......but it's here and regardless I dont blame Ubisoft for just COMPLETELY taking it off.

What we need is a NEW idea for a way to let them have a DRM without needing a constant internet connection.

So I thought of one:
How about this.
You buy the game, you need to register the game with a Username/Password etc.

EVERY X hours(ex: every 24 hours), the game needs to connect to the servers ONCE to retrieve a code...or authentication or w/e. Then doesn't need to connect again for another X hours.

The Initial Authentication/Keycode comes with your game like Normal (maybe even a username comes with ur name, randomly generated?)

The Game saves like every normal game on your computer, but when it connects Uploads checkpoints. That way you have a 2 way system of saving your data (on your computer, and on the servers)

Pro's:
*Dont need a CONSTANT internet connection
*"Prevents" Piracy
*Easy to Implement
*Only need to connect once per day
*Gives the Option of saving the game also on your computer

Con's:
*You still have to connect, ONCE per day. although I think this isn't such a big deal.

Thoughts? Criticisms?

adarwinter
03-17-2010, 05:03 AM
u give an idea that completely misses the point of the DRM.

the idea with the DRM, as far as i can see, is that it constantly changes parts of the game (changes the files themselves or their unpacked form in the memory) while u play accoeding to where u r in the story.
this means that the game, at no state, has files on your HDD that allow u to play. if u dont connect to the UBIservers than the files u have on your HDD (or memory) are useless. when u connect online the servers do the nessessary changes to your files so u can play the mission u r about to play and turns the missions u already played back to unuseable state.

without the constant internet connection the files u have are useless.

removing THIS element of the game will make the DRM as useless at stoping pirates as any other online authintication.

almost.

hackers will find a way to make the game "think" it was approved by the servers.

however i preffer your idea over the current DRM since i wont get dropped out of the game every so often.

kleaneasy
03-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Please keep DRM discussion to the existing threads, thanks