PDA

View Full Version : .....and other manufacture defects

BillSwagger
08-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I've had my Logitech attack 3 for a little over 8 months now, and i have to say its still works as well as the day i got it. Now i've been told Logitechs arent the best sticks, and i was almost guaranteed it would break in short time. That was 5 months ago.

Id expect it to last me for another year, and even if it crapped out sooner, id probably replace it with another Logitech.
Ive heard the stories of other people losing their pots only after a couple months of use, and i can only say that i think those problems are less common than what is commonly complained about.
Also recognize that different components come from other companies that also use a variety of parts, and possibly somewhere in the assembly process there was a bad batch of pots. Even if this only effects 1 out of every 100 units sold, you are likely to hear about it, especially with the way information spreads these days.

Another example:
I have an HP laptop that underwent the same harsh scrutiny. Apparently there were components with in the system that were failing causing the wireless LAN connection to not work. So this spun around on many forums/youtube and HP was also bashed by the disgruntled consumers who were having these problems. I heard of this occuring only months after i had just purchased mine brand new. Its been three years and still no problems.
A little research also revealed the same model laptop was built with several different hardware configurations from different manufactures. The ones with AMD hardware were having the problems, yet the ones with Intel components were working just fine. The laptop was still discontinued, but they built the same laptop under different model numbers to differentiate the two as far as which components were being used.

So the fact remains that there is going to be some level of manufacturing errors no matter what you buy.
Some are more wide scale than others.

My own opinion is to stick with Intel components, just on what I've read over the years. This doesn't mean that AMD parts are likely to cause problems but I've read several articles that point to various short comings from AMD, though many of their parts are also of high quality.

pogobbler
08-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I think there's some truth to this post. Not to mention that, let's face it, you're more likely to hear from someone who's had problems with a product than you are from someone who's had no problems. I'm not going to say that Logitech joysticks are the ultimate joysticks, but I know I've had a couple Logitch joysticks and racing wheels and haven't had problems with them working correctly-- I just upgraded for added features-- more buttons, force-feedback, etc.. I think, for the most part, they're reasonable for the price.

K_Freddie
08-15-2009, 11:59 PM
I broke 3 logitech's, all within 3 months of getting them. They just cannot handle 'rough' treatment on the X/Y axis. I opened them up and had and stripped the x/y pots. Cheaply made, say no more.

My Saitek X45 lasted 9 months with the same treatment. X/Y pots looked a lot more rugged. Saitek sent me 8x pots for free - Me!! down here in the southern tip of africa ..WOW what service - Logitech never answered one of my many emails. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

I've had my X52 now for 2 (+ 9 months non-use)years, with only one problem (not related to the X/Y axis which is contactless) and I've recently fixed this after being lazy for about 9 months. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

Maybe I got the wrong 3 sticks out of 300, but the difference is telling. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

pupo162
08-16-2009, 12:30 AM
my first joystick was a logitech and i liked it just becouse it was very confortable and had a very good number of buttons on the reach of my tumb. When it started to fail on me after 3 months of use i got heart broken. It had been a present so i had no warranty and i decided to use it as learning tool about joysrticks and i opened it.

then i got a another one (thewy are cheap so whatever) after 2 months it started tyo have a small problem on the x axis and as soon as i spoted i sent it for warranty.

that was 4 weeks ago and i'm already tired to play with the keybord.

the thing is, if i had to buy another joystick today i would buy another one of those becouse i just love the way ut fits my hand, neverthless they suck in pots.

DKoor
08-16-2009, 02:07 AM
Saitek Cyborg EVO.
4+ years, still happily keeps ticking.

That's more than enough for me.

WTE_Ibis
08-16-2009, 03:22 AM
I've had my CH Fighter stick for four years and not one tiny problem, works as well as it did when new!
CH for the win.

joeap
08-16-2009, 03:54 AM
She told me my joystick was flawless............oh we're talking about Il-2 joysticks. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Ghostleopard
08-16-2009, 03:44 PM
I've had my Logitech Attack 3 since Top Gun: Fire at Will in 1996.

Never had a problem, and it certainly hasn't been treated nicely.

Though my button 6 sticks a bit as a result of a mishap with a plate of two eggs over easy, with chili sauce.

.... okay okay.... so I have one complaint, but that's it.

Anybody burning through (and sometimes repeatedly) joysticks in 3, 6, or 8 months:

The problem is with the pilot, not the stick.

BillSwagger
08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I've had no problems with over torquing my attack 3, but it is made of hard plastic, so i doubt you could chuck it against the wall or slam it on the desk with out jarring something loose.
Some stories are quite embellished or make extra effort to degrade the failed product, even though it could be the behavior of the pilot.
People complain more than they praise a product, and sometimes i see the strangest excuses.

"My refrigerator sucks because when i slam the door, all the food falls off the shelves. Never buy a {insert refrigerator brand} they break easy."

The one thing i've repeatedly heard about, is that the pots fail or go out quickly on Logitechs, but like i say, i've used mine for 5-10 hours a week for the last eight months, and no issues. ive also read many product reviews that make no mention of the pots going out, but that it simply just stops working after 2 or 3 years of use.

horseback
08-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Bill, you may just be one of the lucky ones, like my old Navy buddy who had the only reliable AMX Javelin in the Hawaiian Islands back in the 70s. That car ran like a top & freakin' flew down the road when he put his foot on the gas, and every time we'd talk to someone else who owned a similar model, they'd b!tch and moan about how the thing was always in the shop, never ran right...

Like you, my buddy was mystified.

I loved my first three Logitech Wingman sticks; they looked and felt good and initially, they worked fine. But each and every one of them started to deteriorate within three months of the purchase date. This was back in '01 to '02, when I was just getting into CFS2 and Red Baron 3D, and with growing boys and all, there wasn't a lot of spare cash about.

That breaking down stuff was getting pretty pricey. I felt that I'd have to get something a bit more reliable.

I finally broke down and got a Microsoft Sidewinder 2 on sale; not quite as good in the feel department, but precise and reliable as they come, and it stood me in good stead until I was ready for the Real Deal: CH Products.

Between that time, I backslid & bought a Logitech Freedom 2.4 wireless and a Logitech FFB, both of which followed the same pattern as the Wingman sticks.

I have learned my lesson. Logitech doesn't like me to use their sticks, and Creative doesn't want me to buy their speakers.

cheers

horseback

Bearcat99
08-16-2009, 07:32 PM
I don't know when you got them... but consider that many of the folks around here.. have been here for some time.. Perhaps Logitech has improved. In spite of their reputation I am considering getting the new HOTAS system they have coming out.. I am using my old backup MSFFB2.. the one I got back in 2002.. When FB came out and I updated my rig again I put my original MSFFB2 down.. I gave it to my son. It still works.. I got it in the fall of 01.. I ad 2 Logitechs before I got the MSFFB2..

RPMcMurphy
08-16-2009, 11:20 PM
I have been using a Sidewinder Precision 2 since November 2001 and it still works fine. Its the only stick I have used since I bought it becasue I tossed the old one when it wore-out.

mortoma
08-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Unquestionably CH makes the toughest products out there as far as joys and pedals. I have a gameport set of CH Pro Pedals and they are going on 8 years with no pot replacement. I'll admit they are finally getting a little scratchy and not as stable, but after 8 years?? I mean c'mon, which manufacturer beats that kind of life??

megalopsuche
08-17-2009, 12:23 AM
CH stick and pedals here. I've had the joystick for, gosh, 12 years now? Still works great.

hirosangels
08-17-2009, 08:02 PM
i got a logitech and i love it . . .

Its ergo, fits in my hand. ANd smooth. I set the joystick senstivity all the way up, and even with IL-2 sliders on all 100's can still fly cleanly w/out stalling on every pitch or roll. Aiming is another story but thats pilot error.

Yeah about laptops I remember the old IBM notebooks. Those things are combat proven. Dunno if lenovo carries the same ideals . ..

Panasonic toughbooks live up their name also.

I've used both AMD's and Intel cores over the years and built machines of both. AMD is Japanese fighters and Intel is American Fighters. AMD seem optimized for overclocking (provided you cool them) and bench tests seem to handle multiple apps better (I'm generalizing here). Intel are more durable (you can pull the cooling system and run them hot, don't loose as much clock cycles when under pressure (running apps). The AMD's are like Zeros one hit of heat and they're down. But haven't built any quads or did tests on them (being laid off sucks).

Lately the Logitech .. .. mines getting sluggish (any sensitivity below 50 sucks), and in IL-2 hardware set up (where the sliders are), I notice the green / red square is off center . . .

also the twist Z axis goes off sending the green / red square to both ends whenever the stick is touched to roll or pitch, even if Z is set to all low numbers 10's.

na85
08-17-2009, 08:13 PM
I've been using my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro since December of 2006 and it still works reasonably well.

The pot on the elevator axis is starting to show spikes in its response output, but for a product that cost me 40 bucks I consider that pretty good after almost 3 years of frequent use.

The throttle axis sometimes jumps between numbers (i.e. between 99 and 100 back and forth) depending on my joystick's mood.

Can't speak about the twisty axis because I use ch pedals for that.

The roll axis still works great.

I'm not what I would call "gentle" with this stick, either.

I do have a question for the masses, though (and I hope Sokol reads this, because he seems like the one to ask):

When the pots REALLY start to go, which I am guessing will be in another 8 months or so, I want to convert the x/y axes to Hall effect sensors.

Has anyone done this with a logitech stick? Does it require a 3rd party controller such as Leo Bodnar's product or will the built-in micro be able to handle the difference?

Do the hall sensors have the same output characteristics as a potentiometer?

And lastly... would it be difficult to add more axes?

M_Gunz
08-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Logitech Sidewinder 3D Pro didn't get loose for me until the start-mid of the 3rd year of light use.
And then it got worse and worse, worn out on the plastic movement. Replacing the pots won't fix that.
Sorry but that wasn't long enough. If I had used the thing to hold my arm up then it would have gone
to useless much sooner, a few months.

I had a Vega that had no bad engine problems once. Body rotted out but no engine leaks. I actually
liked that car, only paid $150 for it back in 79.

Sturm_Williger
08-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Back in 98 I got a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D.

It bucked the trend by working until 2002 when I gave it to a friend of mine as I upgraded to an X45. It continued to work for him for at least another 2 years before he upgraded to something better. To the best of my knowledge, it was still working when he benched it.

X45 is still going strong ( I've had a pot go squirrely and Saitek also mailed me replacement pots for free ).

Maybe I'm just lucky. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Tully__
08-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Ghostleopard:
I've had my Logitech Attack 3 since Top Gun: Fire at Will in 1996.

Never had a problem, and it certainly hasn't been treated nicely.

Though my button 6 sticks a bit as a result of a mishap with a plate of two eggs over easy, with chili sauce.

.... okay okay.... so I have one complaint, but that's it.

Anybody burning through (and sometimes repeatedly) joysticks in 3, 6, or 8 months:

The problem is with the pilot, not the stick.

In 1996 the component quality of Logitech sticks was very good. They didn't start earning their bad reputation until about 2001-2. In the period between 2002 and 2004 a friend of mine had 4 or 5 Logitechs go bad, all after about 3 months use. He wasn't that rough on them.
Recently they seem to have been getting better again, but I'm still wary of them.
Oddly, most other Logitech products are excellent. It's only their joystick range that seems to have suffered.