PDA

View Full Version : Altair's Name



randman2007
05-09-2007, 10:44 AM
I just found this on wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair

If Altair is the name of a star within the Summer Triangle, wouldn't it be cool if in the trilogy, the other main characters' names (Altairs decendents) were Deneb and Vega (the other stars in the Summer Triangle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Triangle).

First-Endever
05-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Nah, it wouldn't really be cool, it would make it nifty, and authentic though.

randman2007
05-09-2007, 03:39 PM
I also can't help but notice that there is a triangle-type symbol behind the titling in Assassin's Creed. You can even see it at the top of this page.

steveo1991_sj
05-09-2007, 03:47 PM
well the flying part i can see making some sence..since he can climb buildings and stuff..lol

JGaSSaSSinS78
05-09-2007, 05:19 PM
"The name "Altar" is Arabic for "the Flying", from the phrase نسر الطائر an-nasr aţ-ţā?ir "the Flying Eagle". that might explain the eagle or hawk in the trailer

KnightTemplar45
05-09-2007, 06:12 PM
That would be pretty cool if the characters in the trilogy (if there is one) had the names of the other stars.

randman2007
05-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Hey, good point, JGaSSaSSinS78. I didn't even think of that. I love symbolism in video games.

zgubilici
05-09-2007, 11:57 PM
This has been discussed a lot of times in the forums about the origins and meaning of the name Altair - there are several threads that can be found and read through for more information about what has been said already about this issue http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Since this discussion is following a slightly different path than the other threads I will leave it open for the time being.
Wondering when FableMan will arrive....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

FableB
05-10-2007, 05:17 AM
I know nothing about stars...>_>

But shall this discussion take a language turn, there shall be casualties...http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

*runs away*

randman2007
05-10-2007, 09:43 AM
I've found this page which talks about Altair and the other stars in the Summer Triangle.

http://www.souledout.org/nightsky/summertriangle/summertriangle.html

"Altair, which means the flying one, is the head of Aquila the Eagle. Aquila sets in the west tail first and soars north parallel to Cygnus, who flies south and sets beak first. Aquila is known as the royal eagle of Jupiter, whose talons carry mighty thunderbolts.

Aquila is also the bird of Zeus, who ran errands for this king of the gods between heaven and earth ... a messenger from heaven transforming souls and leading them to immortality, similar to Vega and Deneb. The Eagle, like the Lyre and the Swan, also sounds a note, the note of the thunderbolt! This bird of Zeus abducted Ganymede (known as Aquarius the air sign) and carried him through the air to the higher realms of Mount Olympus to be the cup bearer of the gods.

It's interesting to note that the Vega/Lyra lore is associated with our tamed physical earthly nature; the Deneb/Cygnus lore relates to our transformed emotional watery nature, and the Altair/Aquila lore lifts us to the realms of higher mind and intuition ... the nature of air and spirit."



I'm certain this will all play out in one manner or another in the game. Ubisoft wouldn't just pick the name just because it "sounds cool."

Hjassassin
05-10-2007, 01:34 PM
wish my name was Altair..

andy276
05-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Hjassassin:
wish my name was Altair.. Then change your name to Altar! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Edo_555
05-15-2007, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by randman2007:
I just found this on wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair

If Altair is the name of a star within the Summer Triangle, wouldn't it be cool if in the trilogy, the other main characters' names (Altairs decendents) were Deneb and Vega (the other stars in the Summer Triangle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Triangle).

As I know, altair means eagle. Or probably something like al tair http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif
Realy cool and poetic name.

FableB
05-15-2007, 05:17 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

randman2007
05-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Fable, I know you're biting your tongue because I know you've written extensively on this on a previous topic!

I'll see if I can find it for you so you don't have to rewrite it to edumacate us non-edumacated people! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

When I started this forum, I wanted to continue the discussion of his name, but also of the mythology behind his name and the stars that they represent.

randman2007
05-15-2007, 07:11 AM
I'm quoting Fable here. This isn't the best explanation that he gave, but it's the best one I could find at the moment. Fable, I know you wrote a more extensive one. Do you think you can dig that one up?

Anyway, FableB once explained:

"- Al-Tair means "The Bird" and may be used only for birds.

- Al-Ta'r means "The Flyer".

And by the way, Al-Tair is not a name of public use. No one is called Al-Tair, it's just a nickname.

- Ibn La Ahad does indeed mean "Son of none".

- "Son of the one" is "Ibn Al-Wahid".

The only explanantion for this is that UBI just didn't want to go deeper into Altair's family, because giving away his father's name may give birth to more questions from the fans."

spazzoo1025
06-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Aquila is known as the royal eagle of Jupiter, whose talons carry mighty thunderbolts.

Aquila is also the bird of Zeus,

Maybe, if the one of the other games has som1 called Aquila, ull b able to do magic or like there'll be some sort of godly theme, hmm, yes yess? Idk...lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

FableB
06-29-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm sorry for the VERY late reply to this subject as I never noticed before what randman2007 posted, I'm very sorry.

As I didn't find the extensive version of my explanation, I just made one, which cover about everything in the subjuct (Language Wise):

"Altair Ibn La Ahad"

- First thing you should know is that "Al" in Arabic means "The" in english.

- Now to "Tair", this word simply means "The Bird", can be an eagle, a pigeon, whatever...etc.

- You may ask, "What is Eagle in Arabic then?", well It's "Nisr", and if you want to say "The Eagle" then it's "AlNisr".

- Tair doesn't mean "The Flyer", there is another word for that, that is, "Ta'ir".

- You may see another spelling for "Altair", that is "Atair", notice here there is no "l", that is merely one of the ways of the Arabic language to ease the tongue, it's easier. But that isn't the case with all the words, you can't just skip the "l" in every "Al", there are certain cases, which I don't see necessary to mention, but shall you feel curious, just ask me about it.

- "Ibn" means "Son", "La" means "No", "Ahad" means "Someone", but when they are all put together, they will give you the meaning "Son of None". It's just like any other language, some words have certain meaning on their own, but when put with other words, they can mean something else, which yet isn't far from the original meaning.

So this is like, the unofficial official template? If anyone feels that something is missing, just notify me.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">And then FableMan flew on his flying dictionary...</pre>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

cooldude6681
06-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by FableB:
I'm sorry for the VERY late reply to this subject as I never noticed before what randman2007 posted, I'm very sorry.

As I didn't find the extensive version of my explanation, I just made one, which cover about everything in the subjuct (Language Wise):

"Altair Ibn La Ahad"

- First thing you should know is that "Al" in Arabic means "The" in english.

- Now to "Tair", this word simply means "The Bird", can be an eagle, a pigeon, whatever...etc.

- You may ask, "What is Eagle in Arabic then?", well It's "Nisr", and if you want to say "The Eagle" then it's "AlNisr".

- Tair doesn't mean "The Flyer", there is another word for that, that is, "Ta'ir".

- You may see another spelling for "Altair", that is "Atair", notice here there is no "l", that is merely one of the ways of the Arabic language to ease the tongue, it's easier. But that isn't the case with all the words, you can't just skip the "l" in every "Al", there are certain cases, which I don't see necessary to mention, but shall you feel curious, just ask me about it.

- "Ibn" means "Son", "La" means "No", "Ahad" means "Someone", but when they are all put together, they will give you the meaning "Son of None". It's just like any other language, some words have certain meaning on their own, but when put with other words, they can mean something else, which yet isn't far from the original meaning.

So this is like, the unofficial official template? If anyone feels that something is missing, just notify me.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">And then FableMan flew on his flying dictionary...</pre>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Alright, so then what does Alta&iuml;r mean? (notice the diaeresis above the i)

ScytheOfGrim
06-30-2007, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by JGaSSaSSinS78:
"The name "Altar" is Arabic for "the Flying", from the phrase نسر الطائر an-nasr aţ-ţā?ir "the Flying Eagle". that might explain the eagle or hawk in the trailer

im an arabic speaker, and nasr, actually means eagle as you said. but that isnt altairs name cuz in the arabian peninsula we have falcons, plz correct me Fable, but i dont believe we have eagles here.

altair doesnt mean "the flying" it means "the flier" "he who flies" in relation to the way he move and jumps around.

i saw this and decided that i should correct it at the least. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif jade even said so in an interview, not sure which one though... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

FableB
06-30-2007, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by cooldude6681:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FableB:
I'm sorry for the VERY late reply to this subject as I never noticed before what randman2007 posted, I'm very sorry.

As I didn't find the extensive version of my explanation, I just made one, which cover about everything in the subjuct (Language Wise):

"Altair Ibn La Ahad"

- First thing you should know is that "Al" in Arabic means "The" in english.

- Now to "Tair", this word simply means "The Bird", can be an eagle, a pigeon, whatever...etc.

- You may ask, "What is Eagle in Arabic then?", well It's "Nisr", and if you want to say "The Eagle" then it's "AlNisr".

- Tair doesn't mean "The Flyer", there is another word for that, that is, "Ta'ir".

- You may see another spelling for "Altair", that is "Atair", notice here there is no "l", that is merely one of the ways of the Arabic language to ease the tongue, it's easier. But that isn't the case with all the words, you can't just skip the "l" in every "Al", there are certain cases, which I don't see necessary to mention, but shall you feel curious, just ask me about it.

- "Ibn" means "Son", "La" means "No", "Ahad" means "Someone", but when they are all put together, they will give you the meaning "Son of None". It's just like any other language, some words have certain meaning on their own, but when put with other words, they can mean something else, which yet isn't far from the original meaning.

So this is like, the unofficial official template? If anyone feels that something is missing, just notify me.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">And then FableMan flew on his flying dictionary...</pre>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Alright, so then what does Alta&iuml;r mean? (notice the diaeresis above the i) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That diaeresis is the same as "AlTa'r", so it's "The Flyer".

And Scythe, I didn't say that Eagel is the name of Altair, I'm actually quite against that idea, and yes we don't have eagles here, only falcons, atleast that's what I know about the Arabian Gulf Area.

noobfun
06-30-2007, 06:41 AM
"Altair Ibn La Ahad"

so his name could basically mean "the pidgeon son of none"

or "the penguin son of none"

that makes me laugh, yeah yeah i know its out of context (the penguin bit anyway)

ScytheOfGrim
06-30-2007, 07:01 AM
sry fable, you misunderstood me, i wasnt saying that you called him eagle. i was agreeing with you. altair means the flier. and nope, there aint any eagles here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

its nice having another arabic speaker to convulge with http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
his name would be "the flier, son of no one"
i also agree with fable, i dont think altair is his real name, more of a nik referring to the way he moves. "son of no one" could also be there to show how little the people really know about altair.(possibility)