PDA

View Full Version : Brakes and other comments

Cegull
12-25-2005, 08:28 PM
I have always felt that having two programable axis for pedal brakes would be valuable for IL2 sims. As it is I use the keyboard for brakes but that is not the same as having pedal brakes. I think the newest change in the flight model was very good. It is now much more like flying for real-a good and accurate mix of effects such gyro factor, torque etc.. and the drag/acceleration is also well done. If possible in the future I would like to see more North African terrain. Best Wishes.

Cegull
12-25-2005, 08:28 PM
I have always felt that having two programable axis for pedal brakes would be valuable for IL2 sims. As it is I use the keyboard for brakes but that is not the same as having pedal brakes. I think the newest change in the flight model was very good. It is now much more like flying for real-a good and accurate mix of effects such gyro factor, torque etc.. and the drag/acceleration is also well done. If possible in the future I would like to see more North African terrain. Best Wishes.

BSS_Vidar
12-26-2005, 08:01 PM
True independant toe braking is NOT going to happen in this game. I brought this fundemental problem with this flight sim series up a couple of years ago to Oleg himself. He ain't budgin'.

Let's hope he comes to his senses in future flight sim releases.

VT-51_Razor
01-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Independent or no, I wish that Oleg would just bring the brake effectiveness back to what it was a patch or two ago!

Bearcat99
01-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Works fine for me.... To simulate independent braking I just give max rudder in whatever direction I want to go in. I can do doughnuts on a carrier deck in a Corsair.

VT-51_Razor
01-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Yes, you may well be able to do that Bearcat, as can I, but try starting it from a plane moving along the deck at something slightly slower than a brisk walk. Heck, just try to stop! It seems as if the FM has been altered to reduce the effectiveness of the brakes considerably if the plane is moving above a certain speed. I'll go one further and wager it's a function of airspeed, not ground speed, which makes it doubly hard to control your plane aboard ship while taxiing. I'm referring to a ship that is under way, of course.

I believe that these changes were made to reduce the tendancy to flip over on one's back whenever brakes were applied on landing rollout. While I understand why it was done, I can't say that I am happy with the result. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Bearcat99
01-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Yeah I hear ya.... Do you have CH pedals? I think the new software helps that issue.. I had no real problems so my philosophy is if it aint broke dont fix it....

VT-51_Razor
01-03-2006, 08:01 AM
No, TM Cougar and RCS here. I have the brakes mapped to the airbrake switch, which works out very well for me, but it is a major annoyance when, after a particularly satisfying mission and beautiful trap aboard a Jeep carrier, I go dribbling off the bow due to lack of brake effectiveness while taxiing to park up forward! And I'm not talking about taxiing with excessive speed either. This happens with a very slow rate of speed. It appears that there is far more control on land bases, which is why I base my wager on the airspeed trigger rather than a ground speed value.

It's not like this has ruined the game for me - I'm still a die hard Oleg fanboy - it's just a real pain in the ****! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Ken-Ghost-King
01-05-2006, 11:32 AM
If you guys are looking for differential brakeing in this sim, it is somewhat possible. The trick, CHProducts ProPedals and Control Manager v4.0. The way to accomplish this can be found HERE (http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1886)

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

PlaneEater
01-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Not quite what we're after here, Ken--thanks though.

The problem is that with the screwball Russian/British setup that's implemented now, you can only brake on ONE side at a time, AND it's tied to the rudder, which is what you usually don't want.

I don't know how the hell the Royal Navy kept their Seafires on the deck with such a bass-ackward setup. It just does not cut it for a carrier deck.

Sturm_Williger
01-06-2006, 05:47 AM
Not quite my experience, PlaneEater.

AFAIK, you can brake on one side IF you have Max Rudder to that side and hit the brakes. Without max rudder, brakes work for both wheels.

I don't find it a problem since the rudder does not have any effect at those slow speeds.

slo123
01-09-2006, 09:19 PM
yea that would be nice but i just wish my brakes wouldnt come on halfway down the runway on takeoffbecause so many times my plane goes nose in because of this i dont know why i turn them off but at like 40-70mph they come on and there i go anyone know how to correst this?