PDA

View Full Version : The ironies of offline gameplay

mortoma
11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
One thing that always kills me is the fact that if I spend much time close to an enemy base I get killed or a severely damaged plane, nearly every time. Now matter how fast I fly or how much I jink around to evade. But on the other hand, if I fly to a friendly airbase loaded with AAA/flak, to drag enemy planes there in a desperate attempt to shake them, they can fly around seemingly forever with near impunity!! Of course I only do this if I'm outnumbered severely or Winchester. And they fly straight as an arrow with no jinking. They might get hit after 20 minutes or so if you're lucky. I hate that!! The enemy flak is not able to miss you much but your friendly flak will not help you much, if at all.

Another thing I hate is getting on the tail of an enemy AI and his wingman almost always getting on your tail. But if I get an enemy on my tail, then where the hell are my wingies?? Nowhere to be found at least four out of five times, that's where. Unless you've damaged an enemy to hell and you're out of ammo, then they all finally show up to ping what was supposed to be your kill.

I've been playing this game for years but I can't get over some of it. Seems worse with the AAA 1.2 UI too, the enemy get even more fixated on you as a human player then ever. There can be 10 of your AI buddies around but you get up to six enemies concentrating on you as if you're the only enemy plane. Sometimes I wish I could go into the code and flag myself as an AI to get left alone. Is this the way they supposedly made the AI "tougher" with the mods? By simply getting the enemy more fixated on the human player?? Yeah, that's tougher alright. I wondered how they made the AI "more difficult"! Now I know. Yeah, I know, whine, moan and complain. But leave me alone, I have not whined for at least 4 years. I can give whining a go now since I've let off for so long. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

K_Freddie
11-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Never had a problem with and AI base... Are you flying in 3D?

Rule #1 - Look after #1 when it comes to AI - Instruct AI to attack fighter/bombers (even you wingman - he's useless for most occasions)

The mod AI becomes more stupid - that's why I said they should give me the the AI programming model... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

horseback
11-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I posted this many (many) years ago, and it still appears to be largely valid:

10 Commandments For AI

1. I am the PLAYER; I bought thee out of the Houses of Commerce and placed thee upon My Hard Drive. I have set thee free to fly, fight, and frolic upon My Monitor, and have nourished thee and provided many Patches, Upgrades, yea, and even Expansions for thine enlargement. For thou hast pleased Me greatly, in that thou immerseth Me in an Age of Legends, of which I have read and studied much, and yearn for with a great yearning, that I might test Mine own skills as a Knight of the Air.

2. My Immersion is thy reason for being, and there shall be no other goal before thee.

3. Thou shalt not set History upon its head. Thou shalt not perpetuate a Flight Model without an historical record, neither shall ye cater unto specious politically tainted flight tests. For I, the PLAYER, am a jealous player, and I knoweth my s**t. Do not toy with My affections, lest ye lose My favor and custom.

4. Remember RL, and keep it Holy. Multiple sims art there which cater unto the Arcade Crowd, but Il-2, and then FB/AEP hath set a New Level, like unto that which was Real Life.

Sully not the purity of the pursuit of Truth, and stay on the paths of righteousness, for Immersion's sake.

5. Honor thy convergence ranges, and keep them constantly. For the PLAYER hath read his references, and knoweth that if thine convergences are set for 200m, thou canst not hit the broad side of a barn at 600 meters. This leadeth unto loss of Immersion, and on that path lieth destruction.

6. Thou shalt not steal the PLAYER's targets, for they are Holy. Neither shalt thou target any aircraft over, around, or through the PLAYER, for that is Vulching, and its pleasures are forbidden to the likes of you. Nor shall ye destroy any aircraft the PLAYER hath set afire or heavily smoking, or even halted the engine thereof, for they are disabled and shall surely die. Touch them not, lest ye share their ignoble fate.

7. Thou shalt proceed unto the target area at a cruise speed appropriate to thine aircraft type. Run not away from thine PLAYER wingman at speeds or climbs unattainable to Him, for He is the reason that ye existeth, and if He becometh frustrated and angry, arriving upon the scene of combat late and overheated one time too many, nevermore shall ye frolic upon His Screen, nor shalt thine Creators gain further profit from His commerce.

8. Woe unto ye, AI gunners! For thou hast all displayed marksmanship like unto that boasted by Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier, who didst slay bears, mountain lions and the odd raccoon from over 800m with but a single shot, of which his comrades did say, "Davy doth tell the Tall Tales yet again, but as long as he buyeth the beer, we care not."

Ye buyeth not a single sixpack for the PLAYER, and He tires of thine unrealistic bull droppings! He careth not for 'scale' or other such specious arguements for lo, it is written in the Chronicles of the Aces that aircraft gunners were mere mortals with limited gunnery skills even within 200 meters' range, wherefore multipassenger aircraft were Easy Meat, and eagerly sought after in preference to their more dangerous single seat brethren.

Therefore, thou shouldst never kill the PLAYER or disable his engine from greater than 300 meters, nor even from within that range more than one out of three times, and thy reaction to his entry into thine cone of fire should henceforth be measured in a more human seconds rather than nanoseconds.

9. Remember the FM, and keep it all of your days. Even if thou art an ACE AI, thou art still only AI, and exist only for the PLAYER's entertainment. Thou shalt not diminish the PLAYER's FM by thine presence, for thou art an Ace, not a friggin' vampire, neither shall ye do that which is impossible for thine assigned aircraft, for to do so is horse s**t, which is even more malicious & dispicable than that of chickens, which are rightly despised for their end products.

10. Thou shalt not exercise knowlege of an approaching PLAYER from outside a RL Field of View, neither shalt thou ignore the approach of a PLAYER within a RL Field of View, especially one that leadeth to a collision. Thou shalt also stop hiding behind the PLAYER's canopy frames, for it is impossible to do so in RL. To do these things is an abomination unto the PLAYER's eyes, which are limited to a measly 85 degrees field of view at most.

Know ye not that enemy AI exist to be destroyed (within reason) by the PLAYER, and friendly AI exist to help him in his campaign goals? To do otherwise is a great sin, and ultimately resulteth in being wiped from the Hard Drive of Life.

These are the Laws which are set forth for thee and thy descendents. Follow ye them, and ye shall enjoy many hours frolicing and flying upon the PLAYER's Monitor, and find rest in His Hard Drive.

Too bad I can't post it in some fancy old timey font.

cheers

horseback

Uufflakke
11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by horseback:

Too bad I can't post it in some fancy old timey font.

cheers

horseback

Something like this? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/Uufflakke/8d4add35.jpg

mortoma
11-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Alright, calm down guys, this was not that serious of a post. I'm just making fun here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Ba5tard5word
11-09-2009, 05:50 PM
I've never had that problem with AA, I find that in general you can fly around most airbases without getting shot up very much at all. More flak = more likelihood of being hit though.

Ships seem a bit trickier, sometimes if tailed at sea I'll try and lure the enemy to my carrier and they'll get shot down eventually.

And I never depend on my AI wingmen to do anything useful. Most of the time they really only serve as decoys to occupy the enemy. They can be so ******* stupid sometimes, like just flying in a straight line even after they acknowledge my order to attack fighters, then whining to me when they immediately get tailed and shot at.

stalkervision
11-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
One thing that always kills me is the fact that if I spend much time close to an enemy base I get killed or a severely damaged plane, nearly every time. Now matter how fast I fly or how much I jink around to evade. But on the other hand, if I fly to a friendly airbase loaded with AAA/flak, to drag enemy planes there in a desperate attempt to shake them, they can fly around seemingly forever with near impunity!! Of course I only do this if I'm outnumbered severely or Winchester. And they fly straight as an arrow with no jinking. They might get hit after 20 minutes or so if you're lucky. I hate that!! The enemy flak is not able to miss you much but your friendly flak will not help you much, if at all.

Another thing I hate is getting on the tail of an enemy AI and his wingman almost always getting on your tail. But if I get an enemy on my tail, then where the hell are my wingies?? Nowhere to be found at least four out of five times, that's where. Unless you've damaged an enemy to hell and you're out of ammo, then they all finally show up to ping what was supposed to be your kill.

I've been playing this game for years but I can't get over some of it. Seems worse with the AAA 1.2 UI too, the enemy get even more fixated on you as a human player then ever. There can be 10 of your AI buddies around but you get up to six enemies concentrating on you as if you're the only enemy plane. Sometimes I wish I could go into the code and flag myself as an AI to get left alone. Is this the way they supposedly made the AI "tougher" with the mods? By simply getting the enemy more fixated on the human player?? Yeah, that's tougher alright. I wondered how they made the AI "more difficult"! Now I know. Yeah, I know, whine, moan and complain. But leave me alone, I have not whined for at least 4 years. I can give whining a go now since I've let off for so long. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Il-2 has a special place in my heart for off-line play. You never know what will happen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Rjel
11-09-2009, 06:25 PM
I find flying against Veteran level AI much more enjoyable. They seem to be more lifelike. The AI mod that is out helps too, IMO.

Horseback, your Ten Commandments are excellent. I can just hear Charlton Heston now...