PDA

View Full Version : Trying the La-5FN

XyZspineZyX
06-22-2003, 11:57 PM
I'm pretty much new to IL 2: FB and flight sims in general.

I've been looking for alot of info on planes in the forums recently by doing searches on specific models or topics and I decided to follow the general advice of taking a plane and sticking with it in order to get the hang of flying and combat.

Since it seems like everyone and their grandma flies a Bf-109 variation, I decided to go for the La-5FN.

I read the description of the plane and it seems like a plane that has excellent maneuverability, armament, yadda yadda. Point is, I'm not sure if thats true because I have yet to try the "weaker" or harder to use planes. I didn't jump to an La-7, which seems to be better, because I don't want to have it too easy either.

Anyways, this all boils down to this: I set up a QMB with 3 La-5FNs on my side, including me, and 4 He-111 on the opposing side for practice. Now, the description for the He-111 states that the bomber was very vulnerable to enemy fighters and was practically obsolete for 1944.

Now, either I suck terribly or the He-111 is not truly as obsolete as it says it is because almost everytime I go behind them and get anywhere between 200 and 450 meters distance in order to shoot, one or two shots from their rear gunners take out my engine. Usually it either completely dies out on me or drops to about 500RPMs regardless of the power setting which then forces me make an emergency landing. ( I can hardly make a regular landing, let alone an emergency one). After replaying this scenario about 8 times today, I only got a total of 4 kills in.

The question, then, is; Is the La-5FN really flimsy from head on shots, are most planes the same way, or are the He-111 rear gunners packing a whallop, or do I just stink?

Also, I have flown a bit on the IL-2s and it seems like the La-5FN is lacking in terms of the amount of cannon rounds it carries.

XyZspineZyX
06-22-2003, 11:57 PM
I'm pretty much new to IL 2: FB and flight sims in general.

I've been looking for alot of info on planes in the forums recently by doing searches on specific models or topics and I decided to follow the general advice of taking a plane and sticking with it in order to get the hang of flying and combat.

Since it seems like everyone and their grandma flies a Bf-109 variation, I decided to go for the La-5FN.

I read the description of the plane and it seems like a plane that has excellent maneuverability, armament, yadda yadda. Point is, I'm not sure if thats true because I have yet to try the "weaker" or harder to use planes. I didn't jump to an La-7, which seems to be better, because I don't want to have it too easy either.

Anyways, this all boils down to this: I set up a QMB with 3 La-5FNs on my side, including me, and 4 He-111 on the opposing side for practice. Now, the description for the He-111 states that the bomber was very vulnerable to enemy fighters and was practically obsolete for 1944.

Now, either I suck terribly or the He-111 is not truly as obsolete as it says it is because almost everytime I go behind them and get anywhere between 200 and 450 meters distance in order to shoot, one or two shots from their rear gunners take out my engine. Usually it either completely dies out on me or drops to about 500RPMs regardless of the power setting which then forces me make an emergency landing. ( I can hardly make a regular landing, let alone an emergency one). After replaying this scenario about 8 times today, I only got a total of 4 kills in.

The question, then, is; Is the La-5FN really flimsy from head on shots, are most planes the same way, or are the He-111 rear gunners packing a whallop, or do I just stink?

Also, I have flown a bit on the IL-2s and it seems like the La-5FN is lacking in terms of the amount of cannon rounds it carries.

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:02 AM
Axyun, rather than liesurely following the He 111s, you may want to try climbing high above them, and diving down with a good deal of speed.

That makes it far more difficult for the gunners to hit you. You may not take a bomber out in one pass, but you will be able to repeat the process until they are destroyed.

Boom & Zoom, Hack & Slash. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:07 AM
Dont attack from 6 oclock as it makes you level, straight, and easy to shoot.

Instead, try sweeping (or slashing) from side to side. Change altitude a bit, but not much since you dont want to bleed off your speed.

Another helpfull tip: slow the time compression down to 1/4 using the [ key. It sounds dumb, but trust me, it helps a lot when learning to set up your shots.

I'd get rid of the AI in your flight. Why let them shoot all your targets down? /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

<font face="Courier New">
&nbspBaldieJr
_____ | _____
_\__(o)__/_
./ \.
Whiners don't play vulchers
(er, winners)
</font>

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:07 AM
The rear gunners on bombers are overmodeled. You shouldn't attack bombers from their six anyway. The guns should be stronger on the La5FN. Both of these things will change in the patch we're hoping.

The La5FN is a good choice for a noob. It performs about like the La7, but has the advantage of being able to fly on 43 servers.

Da Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland
<center>
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto/rall4.jpg

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:10 AM
Even if it was like that in real life,you can`t position yourself behind bombers less then 400m away.Bomber gunners are too accurate temporarily.

Attack them from above.Aim for wings or engines,you`ll get an easy kill this way.

"degustibus non disputandum"

<center>http://carguy.w.interia.pl/tracki/sig23d.jpg

<center>"Weder Tod noch Teufel!"</font>[/B]</center> (http://www.jzg23.de><font)

<center>[B]SELF PROCLAIMED WILLYWHINER</center>

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:25 AM
Guess I really am a first class noob /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

I decided to fly along with two AI driven planes because I wanted to see how the computer La-5FNs handled the situation. All they did was fly over the He-111s on the first pass, circle around to get behind them and then close in on their six.

They did get shot down themselves quite a few times but their accuracy and perfect flight mechanics get to me.

On the very first run on the QMB, I noticed that the AI La-5FNs did a much sharper turn than I did and left me behind with nothing to shoot at. On the second run, I decided to imitate them and did as they did but they still managed to catch up to the He-111s much faster than I did. 3rd time around I turn around earlier then they did, throttled back to do a sharper turn and that gave me the lead.

Unfortunately, 4 - 5 seconds later, they pass by me even though on the replay I saw that I turned around much much earlier than they did. It almost looked like they got a boost out of nowhere and suddenly flew past me. And it almost looks like their cannons have no recoil. They shoot perfectly straight.

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:26 AM
Oh, and thanks for the advice. It shall be heeded.

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:37 AM
"And it almost looks like their cannons have no recoil. They shoot perfectly straight."

yes this is true. Makes them deadly head on. It is also true that they tend to constantly shoot behind a target that is in a shallow diving turn.

Never saddle up behind a bomber, or beside one for that matter. There are situations where bomber gunners are better than they should be, but I have also experienced situations where they are not as good as they should be (or maybe it's just the stuka rear gunner ai that sux).

Try the mission again, but this time you in a He111 and try the gunner positions. I've only been the gunner once, it was online, and i found it very ez to smoke a guy's engine.

I attack bombers alot online and their gunners are no threat at all, just fly way fast and do slashing attacks, keeping out of their arc of fire most of the time (though I fly FWs, shouldn't be any tougher engine than an LA).

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:43 AM
If you want to have some fun blowing up bombers. Take the IL2 3M. It has two 37mm cannons, and one short burst will turn the He111 into toothpicks.

Da Buzz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland
<center>
http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/foto/rall4.jpg

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 12:51 AM
If you want to practice deflection shots,BnZ etc..., set up flights of friendly bombers and you can blast away at them without the fear of being shot down. Once you have built your confidence up,switch to enemy bombers and see if all the practice paid off /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

S!

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/aeroart/images/hunhunter-texas_sig2a1.jpg

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 01:24 AM
I really like the La-5fn. Other planes are more advanced, but I got to be deadly accurate with the cannons in it, and I flew it so much it was second nature to me...now I've completed that bit of the campaign and I'm flying Yak-9ds...a fine aircraft I'm sure but I got so attuned with the La-5fn I'm at a loss!

I aim at the wing root on an He-111, from a slightly higher plane than their level, and from 10* or so astern, but at 500 km/hr or more at the bottom of a dive, jinking as I approach. then I kick the rudder, point the nose at the wing root, fire a second long burst if I dare, release the rudder, and dive away while turning....can blow one up about 25% of the time...in an La-5fn...in the Yak, I'm lucky to hit one so far.

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 01:26 AM
Thanks again for the advice. Some really helpful stuff here.

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 03:09 AM
Axyun,
If it's any consolation, I've been doing exactly the same thing you have. And like you, I have considered the possibility that I truly suck at this game.

But, judging from the feedback I've been getting, it's a somewhat tough sim to learn when you're starting out (heck, I'm still only successful in about 50% of my attempts to land my plane). Incidently, I like flying the La-5FN too.

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 03:28 AM
Yashmak wrote:
- Axyun,
- If it's any consolation, I've been doing exactly the
- same thing you have. And like you, I have
- considered the possibility that I truly suck at this
- game.
-
- But, judging from the feedback I've been getting,
- it's a somewhat tough sim to learn when you're
- starting out (heck, I'm still only successful in
- about 50% of my attempts to land my plane).
- Incidently, I like flying the La-5FN too.

Same as you here. I sometimes land and sometimes don't. I did keep a track, though, of my most perfect landing yet. I actually landed ON then runway and stayed on it and I only bounced once.

Unfortunately it was all luck and I have never been able to duplicate that landing anywhere near as well as that one time /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

And you are right, the game is pretty tough. But thats one of the reasons why I like it.

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 04:00 AM
The La-5N in IL2 was my favorite plane in the beginning. The first time I flew the sim of course I went to the IL2.... Then I tried the P-39..hated it..then I went to the Yak-9..which was nice offline but online it was different..that was where Redwulf1 suggested I fly an La5. After I got better at the sim I tried the P-39 again and I loved it. In FB I prefer the Jug and the P-39....although i like the Yaks, Las and the FW-190 is pretty nice too.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 05:47 AM
Try the Il-2 Field mod...it's the Il-2 series hot rod and that rear gunny sure can sweep the skies if you set it with some enemy fighters...

It's really stable, easy to toss around, flyes like a glider, etc...

The 23mm VYa guns are killers (even if they were tonned down a lot compared to Il-2 game) and you have A LOT of ammo for them, 200 rounds each or so...

Beside, you don;t have to care that much for the punny 7.something mm MG's from the german bombers...

In the dynamic campaign I've got a train, a truck comlumn, three tanks (real ones, not the AA from the road columns) and...AND...8 ENEMY AIRPLANES, all fighters (109 F and G's...all in one missionhttp://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif (beside icons and a map path, everything else was "real").

So, it is a potent plane...

XyZspineZyX
06-23-2003, 10:06 AM
When you want to train with enemy bombers set their level to noob do the gunners will not hit tooo good.

Turn on the bullet hit arrows for training in the beginning. you'll be surprised to see where you hit or don't. improves your shooting a lot once you see where you actually hit.

as for tactics and stuff:

first climb to be higher

then it depends what you prefer (have to find out) i like to attack slashing thru the bomber formation (high on their right for example...then dive to the left... shoot...move up on their left and the whole thing into the other direction) or you move up and down straight above them but they are not that easy to hit like that especially in a FW because you don't see too much, therefore you can easily kill the pilots without being shot at too much.

If you are really high on their six. out of their range. especially when attacking planes like IL2 or stukas who fly in line before reaching their target. i usually stay high till i'm over them and dive on the leader. when you start to attack such a formation starting with the last plane you'll have 3 others firing while passing the 4th. when you start with the 1st no one can shoot.(note don't try that with heavy bombers flying a V or diamond formation if they have more gunners than just one in the back and one in the front lol)

about the La5 engine. in my opinion the Las are nice planes. I haven't flown the La5 since IL2. it's not my plane tho she's nice. anyway i don't know how many hits its engine can take but i think protection is not that good. as i said i can only tell about that from my point of view as i haven't flown her online ar ig. all i know is that it usually just needs one nicely aimed hit into engine cockpit area with a 109F or early G (so no big guns here) to whether stop the engine or kill the pilot.

http://www.just-pooh.com/images/eten.gif