PDA

View Full Version : Flaps for beginners

Jumoschwanz
10-18-2004, 09:13 AM
I still see posts about things that would be solved by proper application of flaps. And have recently flown with a pilot who had been around a long time on HL that did not know some things about flaps so here:

Most planes have combat, take-off, and landing flaps. A few only have landing.

The combat flaps can be used to help recover from a very high speed dive.
Combat flaps can also be used in a high speed turn to decrease the turn radius, but this will usually black you out.

If you use take-off or landing flaps above about 350 km/h they will jam in that position. Combat flaps can be used at any speed withoug fear of jamming.

In low speed dogfighting flaps are a great help in turning. Just watch the speed so you don't jam them. As your speed goes from high, to medium to low you can use the combat, take-off and landing flaps to keep from stalling. This might just let you stall later than your opponent, or turn that little bit more before a stall and get in that crucial first shot.

I have raise and lower flaps mapped onto the base buttons of my stick so I can manipulate them without a thought in combat. They are as essential as the throttle in a dogfight that is not strictly a high speed affair.

Using these techniques in the 109 in the current patch it is possible to stay on the tail of any plane out there except for obvious excellent turners like the biplanes and the Japanese Zero. Next patch all bets are off, as usual. And for the slow planes you are using the zoom and boom anyway right? S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
10-18-2004, 09:13 AM
I still see posts about things that would be solved by proper application of flaps. And have recently flown with a pilot who had been around a long time on HL that did not know some things about flaps so here:

Most planes have combat, take-off, and landing flaps. A few only have landing.

The combat flaps can be used to help recover from a very high speed dive.
Combat flaps can also be used in a high speed turn to decrease the turn radius, but this will usually black you out.

If you use take-off or landing flaps above about 350 km/h they will jam in that position. Combat flaps can be used at any speed withoug fear of jamming.

In low speed dogfighting flaps are a great help in turning. Just watch the speed so you don't jam them. As your speed goes from high, to medium to low you can use the combat, take-off and landing flaps to keep from stalling. This might just let you stall later than your opponent, or turn that little bit more before a stall and get in that crucial first shot.

I have raise and lower flaps mapped onto the base buttons of my stick so I can manipulate them without a thought in combat. They are as essential as the throttle in a dogfight that is not strictly a high speed affair.

Using these techniques in the 109 in the current patch it is possible to stay on the tail of any plane out there except for obvious excellent turners like the biplanes and the Japanese Zero. Next patch all bets are off, as usual. And for the slow planes you are using the zoom and boom anyway right? S!

Jumoschwanz

WOLFMondo
10-18-2004, 09:32 AM
I think most, if not all planes have landing flaps, just some don't have anything in between like the Spitfire and hurricane.

Combat flaps are also quite handy for gaining height in a hurryhttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. Not to mention there obvious applications http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

F19_Ob
10-18-2004, 09:38 AM
A difficult but fun trick (when it succeeds ) in a climbing fight with a better climber above is to level out on the top of the climb with landing or takeoff flap enabled so u can stay up and level in slow speed and not drop like a stone and get the better climber on your six. Instead U turn level when the enemy comes down and if he hasn't flaps enabled or use them too late, he wont be able to stay up because of his speed and angle.
This way u can get better energy instead of being forced to dive away or stay low constantly.
Its not always possible to overtake the better climber though, but to even the odds a bit by getting up to cloudhight and that way get opportunities to attack and/or evade better.
Ofcourse there is some risks involved, but then, there always is in combat.

This can work well with for example a LaGG3 against a 109. just see too it that u have some speed on the top of the climb so u can evade the coming attack from above with a horisontal turn to lessen the time in the enemies sights.
Without flaps it couldnt be done. I constantly use flaps on and off in fights depending on the situation.

very useful indeed.

Salfordian
10-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Just a quick note, don't know if it is modelled in the game but in RL flaps give you an increase in lift for a given angle of incidence, so at low angles of attack you get a large lift increase. However, flaps also have the effect of reducing the stall angle, quite considerable in some cases, due to the increased camber. For example, the NACA 63-210 aerofoil stalls clean around 14 deg AoA, with 60deg split flap deflection the stall is reduced to around 8 deg AoA.

Bearcat99
10-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Flaps on a slider....... if you are in the pit all you have to do is look down at the handle.