PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone as disapointed with the ending as i am? (Possible Spoilers)

omgiof
11-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Posted Sun November 22 2009 15:50
At first, I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2. There were a few problems of course, like how Lucy magically lost all of her skin tone(along with my interest in her as a character) and replaced it with a colorless face, devoid of all expression. But despite these problems, the game seemed wonderful. The mission structure was greatly improved, the characters seemed to have much more depth, and the game world itself was just so much more beautiful.

But then, the ending came. Not so much the ending actually, more like the last four or five chapters of the game. The characters stopped moving forward and so did the story, and I found myself stuck within one city (albeit, a very pretty one) for at least a third of the game. There was Ezio's love interest, who could have, and should have, acted as a means to strengthen his character. Instead, she disappears long before the ending and Ezio is left in the same annoying state of character. I understand that Desmond is meant to be the main character, and that Ubisoft probably wished to focus on him more instead, but you spend the entire game playing as Ezio, and from the time his parents die to the time you beat the game, he does not change, at all.

Lastly, the ending itself, which i wont spend much time talking about, as i'm sure many of you have yet to reach it. I've seen a lot of crappy endings in games, but this one was especially disappointing. I thought, maybe, with the games great emphasis on stealth and deception the writers might have been aware of something called subtly. But no, they chose to throw some Deus Ex at you, stripping the game of its nuance and replacing it with some annoying little conspiracy. Maybe they thought the ending was something new, or fresh, something that might transcend the many norms of gaming narratives, but it is, in fact, the exact opposite. It is something that has been done so many times before that I am quite simply tired of it, and if they do not fix what they have done by the next game, i will be done with this series forever.

deadlylemon1991
11-22-2009, 05:17 PM
cliffhanger, its to grip u into ac3 whn that gets released

Dragonfire126
11-22-2009, 05:22 PM
I heard the ending sucked. But I like to see things for myself so I got to the end, fought the crappy boss battle. Seriously, this was the worst boss battle i've ever done. Make it more spectacular, more cinematics, more characters, more power!

But as expected from an AC game the ending STORY made me almost **** myself http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif good job on this.

Looking forward to Assassins Creed 3!

JudgeQwerty
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
What love interest? He has at least five throughout the story. Also, how can you complain about the conspiracy aspect when its preacticaly the central pillar of the franchise. Well, that and killing people.

keepth3beat
11-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I'mma have to say that they've been setting up this conspiracy ending since day 1, since one of the questions at the end of AC1 was "just what the hell is the piece of eden and where did it come from?"

I'm a little wary about where it can go from here, but still interested. Right now it just sort of seems like the ending to Indiana Jones 4 to me. Only somewhat better.

I COMPLETELY agree with you about Ezio and his character, though. He hardly grew at all, and once we got close to the end of the game, he pretty much lost all of his personality. I know it was probably intended to be that way because he was becoming more grizzled and frustrated that he spent years of his life hunting down people that still got away, but I would have liked to see more transitioning, more growth of character. They did a lot of telling, but no showing.

I think they really relied too heavily on the setting and the history of the renaissance to make the game more colorful in terms of its storytelling and let the rest of the writing fall. There wasn't nearly as much set-up, tension or questioning as to what was to happen in this game as there was in the last.

Xyks
11-22-2009, 09:02 PM
I loved the ending ( the Bossfight was no real Highlight) but the storypart really got me.

With the characterprogression you are right though.Not only the fact that i would have loved to see Ezio make out with that Lady from Forli, but also that you hardly get stronger.
I mean i am totally rich, but there is nothing i can buy anymore. The monetary system is great but there should be more Items you could purchase...

Pitalla
11-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Well, I had never ever been a fan of the Sci Fi aspects of Assasins creed.
Altought I do enjoy the animus thing I think that the pice of eden plot is... meh... well I could tell you why but it would be a too long explanation.

All what am I going to say is that the Sci fi aspect ends up contradicting itself.
It claims that mankind is not capable of charisma or great knwoledge and those who have achieved it, did it trough the pice of eden.

Still you hang out with davinci and machiavelo who have never ever had a pice of eden in their hands.....

kazimyakub
11-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I did feel a little let down by the ending.. I can't fully recall AC1s ending.. but AC2 seemed to go from middle....straight to end, without a proper transition... At least in the tone of the storyline and the missions, it felt that way.

Edengoth
11-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by omgiof:
At first, I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 2. There were a few problems of course, like how Lucy magically lost all of her skin tone(along with my interest in her as a character) and replaced it with a colorless face, devoid of all expression. But despite these problems, the game seemed wonderful. The mission structure was greatly improved, the characters seemed to have much more depth, and the game world itself was just so much more beautiful.

But then, the ending came. Not so much the ending actually, more like the last four or five chapters of the game. The characters stopped moving forward and so did the story, and I found myself stuck within one city (albeit, a very pretty one) for at least a third of the game. There was Ezio's love interest, who could have, and should have, acted as a means to strengthen his character. Instead, she disappears long before the ending and Ezio is left in the same annoying state of character. I understand that Desmond is meant to be the main character, and that Ubisoft probably wished to focus on him more instead, but you spend the entire game playing as Ezio, and from the time his parents die to the time you beat the game, he does not change, at all.

Lastly, the ending itself, which i wont spend much time talking about, as i'm sure many of you have yet to reach it. I've seen a lot of crappy endings in games, but this one was especially disappointing. I thought, maybe, with the games great emphasis on stealth and deception the writers might have been aware of something called subtly. But no, they chose to throw some Deus Ex at you, stripping the game of its nuance and replacing it with some annoying little conspiracy. Maybe they thought the ending was something new, or fresh, something that might transcend the many norms of gaming narratives, but it is, in fact, the exact opposite. It is something that has been done so many times before that I am quite simply tired of it, and if they do not fix what they have done by the next game, i will be done with this series forever.

QTF!

Yeah, they delivered an ending that "no one would see coming", but only because it was so far of the deep end of crazy that it hurled me out of the experience like a freakin catapult.

And YES freakin YES about Lucy. As satisfying as it was to watch her pull that graceful move on those armed guards in the Abstergo hallway, it made me die a little inside how they made her into a fierce ***** with a potty mouth wearing a "reel in the teenage boy demographic" outfit.

Oh, yeah, and the pace got all out of whack for the second half.

Airadan
11-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Mabye im just crazy but I loved lucy( I actually thought expression was great!) and I thought the ending was really good better than AC1 ending.

it made me die a little inside how they made her into a fierce *****

I thought the swearing was good it made it seem much more realistic I mean if that was happening to you in real life you would be saying "F sticks!" (I cant swear on fourms).

keepth3beat
11-23-2009, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Pitalla:
All what am I going to say is that the Sci fi aspect ends up contradicting itself.
It claims that mankind is not capable of charisma or great knwoledge and those who have achieved it, did it trough the pice of eden.

Not so much. They just said that people who had the Piece of Eden were able to accomplish extraordinary things, mostly connecting to religious miracles. The truth segments kind of alluded to people who excelled in politics possessing it as well, but it never said that human beings were completely incapable of doing these things on our own. We just weren't advanced enough to do so, especially in the beginning.

I'm actually kind of amused by this whole ending because I've been saying that religion was created by primitive minds who couldn't comprehend alien technology for years. Lolz.

And I was more put off by Lucy's outfit than her "sudden change" in personality. Given the situation, I thought her personality adapted well enough. Her outfit was really unflattering though. She had more of a belly in AC1, it looked like, which I thought was cute. Her boobs looked really weird in this game, too. And out of everyone, I thought her face was animated the strangest.

Captain Tomatoz
11-23-2009, 12:48 AM
sorry but what were you expecting from the ending. if you saw the ending of ac1 and some of the writing on the walls and floor were pointing towards a conspiracy so ac2 would obviously go deeper and explain some of these markings

PlagueDoctor357
11-23-2009, 02:52 AM
The swearing made it more realistic.

What? Kristen Bell isn't allowed to take off a labcoat to expose her Jeans and sleeveless shirt when she isn't in the lab?

Dudebag
11-23-2009, 04:35 AM
First off I have to say in the first game the Assassin's Creed story (Altiars story) was always a bit cheesy, The enemies were always made out to be horribly evil scumbags (The first target slashed a guy to death simply because he said his demands were unreasonable) yet they always tried to justify themselves and say their cause was just. It would have been so much better if they blurred the lines between good and evil and put doubt in the players minds as to who was right and who was wrong, the Templars or the Assassins.

However regardless of that I did think that Desmond's story in the first Assassin's Creed Was well done, the characters were interesting, the plot was very well done leaving us with the mystery of what Abstergo was planning to do with Desmond giving us subtle hints through the use of emails and the markings on the walls at the end.

That all changed in AC2, the story of Ezio was just as cheesy as Altairs but Desmonds story just got a whole lot cheesier.

Originally posted by Edengoth:

And YES freakin YES about Lucy. As satisfying as it was to watch her pull that graceful move on those armed guards in the Abstergo hallway, it made me die a little inside how they made her into a fierce ***** with a potty mouth wearing a "reel in the teenage boy demographic" outfit.

I totally agree with this 100%, this was one of my major gripes with this game. It is such a shame how much they changed her character, in the first game she was a quiet, intelligent woman who seemed more comfortable influencing and helping from behind the scenes than busting skulls, but in AC2 she turns into a hardcore kung fu Assassin that swears like a trooper.

I will admit that "The Truth" video and the subject 16 side plot was interesting but the rest of the story was just cheesy.

Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the game very much and ubisoft has done a wonderful job improving on the original but I do think they have to work on their storytelling a bit more.

Edit: And what the hell is up with the Templars storming the hideout equiped with batons instead of guns? I mean Vidic storms the place with a heap of men armed with batons and they get their arses kicked by Lucy (who steals one of their own batons) and Desmond (who gets his hands on a hidden blade) and are forced to retreat. I mean what the hell?

Grandmaster_Z
11-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Pitalla:
Well, I had never ever been a fan of the Sci Fi aspects of Assasins creed.
Altought I do enjoy the animus thing I think that the pice of eden plot is... meh... well I could tell you why but it would be a too long explanation.

ditto

PlagueDoctor357
11-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Shooting Desmond would make him dead, which VIddic didnt want.

FedEx21
11-23-2009, 08:05 AM
If you didn't notice, Lucy was also an assassin.

PlagueDoctor357
11-23-2009, 08:40 AM
No doubt, and even the computer nerds of the assassins have to kill at least once, and probably will again as Shaun had said.

Vicarialloki
11-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I was more dissapointed with a the Templars in Assassin's Creed 2 compared to the Templars in the original. While depicted as evil tyrants and fanatics in Assassin's Creed 1 they were sane rational men who believed that their cause was good and just and thought of themselves as pieces on a chessboard, each had a part to play. Their goals were also to ensure peace and each did his task without question.
But the Templars in the this one were all psychopaths and powerhungy. They had no endgame except to gain more power and consolidate, they even belittled their fellow members when they felt the were being slighted or when one failed in his schemes. I was very suprised to hear Carlos Grimaldi whining about wanting to be Doge and the personal lives some of them had. Even the Templar leader Rodrigo Borgia was far from the leader that Robert De Sable was.
I was expecting him to have some noble intention in the end to make all the sacrifices seem worthwile but, no all he wanted was to become a god. I hope the next one returns to its roots and explores the duality of the Templar and Assassins paths to peace. Overall Assassins Creed 1 had a better story in my opinion and Im looking forward to the next game and replaying ACII.
Another gripe for me was how the handle Ezio's life but this post is already so long Ill post about that another day.

Travel_Photog
11-23-2009, 08:52 AM
At the end of AC1, if you turned on Eagle Vision, Vidic was red (enemy) and Lucy was blue (if I remember correctly).

At the end of AC2, Lucy was gold. Doesn't that typically designate a target?

keepth3beat
11-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by PlagueDoctor357:
What? Kristen Bell isn't allowed to take off a labcoat to expose her Jeans and sleeveless shirt when she isn't in the lab?

I'm totally cool with her going into badass mode (seeing as women are able to have more than one facet to their personality, OSHI--), I just want her body to look similar to the first game. They tried to sex her up a bit more and it just ended up looking awkward. >>

Cornik22
11-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Can anyone tell me why she had blood at the beginning of the game? Did I miss something?

Grandmaster_Z
11-23-2009, 11:28 AM
^wasn't really explained, but i'm assuming she killed some abstergo security guards or something

Cornik22
11-23-2009, 11:33 AM
And what happened with Ezio's mother? And his girlfriend? It's like the writters wrote all those things and then they forgot about them...

keepth3beat
11-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Cornik22:
And what happened with Ezio's mother? And his girlfriend? It's like the writters wrote all those things and then they forgot about them...

His mother, after being raped and her husband and children were killed, fell into silence from the shock and did nothing but sit and pray at her bedside the entirety of the game.

I'm assuming Ezio ended it with Cristina (I think that's her name) by never seeing her again, given the fact that he left for the villa immediately after killing Francesco. If you read his animus database thing, it says he completely disappeared from history after his 17th birthday, so I'm assuming that he limited his contact with those he knew before, given the fact that he had no idea who was a templar and who wasn't.

I wish they had brought that stuff more into play, though. Or at least given his mom a few more lines before completely breaking the poor woman. :[

SupremeCaptain
11-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Travel_Photog:
At the end of AC1, if you turned on Eagle Vision, Vidic was red (enemy) and Lucy was blue (if I remember correctly).

At the end of AC2, Lucy was gold. Doesn't that typically designate a target?

Lucy was blue in AC2. Sometimes she went gold so you knew where to go.

Cornik22
11-23-2009, 12:32 PM
His mother,(..) did nothing but sit and pray at her bedside the entirety of the game.
That's what I was talking about. She never ever talked again in the game.

And again, I find really stupid to start the game with Lucy having blood in her shirt and telling Desmond "I'll tell you later what happened", but then everyone forgets about it. Wtf?

zapatista111
11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I found the last chapter to be very disappointing. Having read the rave reviews of the final level, I expected something quite epic. What I got however was a very frustrating boss encounter.

The way of increasing the difficulty for the last boss was to essentially make him immune to damage from normal attacks, meaning you had to utilise some item based wizardry to summon several other version of yourself (wtf) so you could then remove one point of HP from the boss by hitting him from behind.

I mean seriously, that's just tame. The same system was used for the encounters with him prior to this.

If you're going to make a player learn a combat system, which they eventually master after several hours, it's very frustrating to then remove the ability to do damage in the manner which you've become accustomed, in an attempt to make it difficult. It's not difficult, it's just bad.

As for the actual resolution of the story, I really don't know what they were thinking when they just removed segments 11-13 and left a huge gap in the storyline to be filled.

Quite the disappointment.

Grandmaster_Z
11-23-2009, 12:55 PM
^i think it took like 3 or 4 throwing knives to beat the spaniard (then when you fist fight him, its easy just button mash pretty much lol)

Cornik22
11-23-2009, 02:17 PM
The way of increasing the difficulty for the last boss was to essentially make him immune to damage from normal attacks
The final boss fight (the second round) is so dumb. I mean, all the credibility, thousands of hours spent in recreating a believable rennasaince Italy (from clothes, to locations, dialogues, characters, ...), and what do they give you for the final battle? I fistfight with the pope, a man so fat he can barely move? what were they thinking!?

I really don't know what they were thinking when they just removed segments 11-13 and left a huge gap in the storyline to be filled
That gap is already filled. It's the ds game (AC2: Discovery), where Ezio travels to Spain to fight templars and rescue fellow assasins.

breakdown89
11-23-2009, 04:16 PM
what did they give us for the final battle? are you kidding me? just look at the ending for final fantasy x. you spent most of the entire time fighting bosses that were so damn god-like, that by the time you fight the last boss, it's nothing but a little tiny spider looking thing. so don't tell me that this boss battle was bad, when there are far worse in the history of video games.

Cornik22
11-23-2009, 04:22 PM
so don't tell me that this boss battle was bad, when there are far worse in the history of video games.
Don't forget the bosses who are far better! (like that was hard) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

com199
11-23-2009, 04:29 PM
I liked the ending, but I want to be able to re-play it or re-watch it to get more of it. Cause frankly, I wasn't paying much attention the first time around.

keepth3beat
11-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Cornik22:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The way of increasing the difficulty for the last boss was to essentially make him immune to damage from normal attacks
The final boss fight (the second round) is so dumb. I mean, all the credibility, thousands of hours spent in recreating a believable rennasaince Italy (from clothes, to locations, dialogues, characters, ...), and what do they give you for the final battle? I fistfight with the pope, a man so fat he can barely move? what were they thinking!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I effing loved the final boss fight. I mean, really. What's more hilarious than punching the pope in the face? Especially one of the most corrupt popes in history?!

Plus, I liked throwing him and taunting him as he rolled around on the ground like a dropped dinner roll. Yeah, gameplay-wise, it was a bit disappointing, but history-wise... you're punching the pope, y'all.

Cornik22
11-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Touché! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

jimbo11235813
11-24-2009, 04:48 PM
I was expecting a rather unnatural ending (who wouldn't knowing what the Piece of Eden does). But I really enjoyed the final fight against the guards at the hideout (would be really cool to play as Desmond a bit more in the next game.)

Just a note, but Leonardo doesn't seem to age a day. Didn't they say it would take place over 30 years, yet Leonardo seems to remain youthful (he looks about 25 when we first see him, so he should be about 55 in the end).

Anyway, I liked the ending, although it does seem weird (quite a cliffhanger though). Thought they would use more of Desmond, and I thought there would be more about the increasing bleeding effect on Desmond.

hammerofgod123
11-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by omgiof:

Lastly, the ending itself, which i wont spend much time talking about, as i'm sure many of you have yet to reach it. I've seen a lot of crappy endings in games, but this one was especially disappointing. I thought, maybe, with the games great emphasis on stealth and deception the writers might have been aware of something called subtly. But no, they chose to throw some Deus Ex at you, stripping the game of its nuance and replacing it with some annoying little conspiracy. Maybe they thought the ending was something new, or fresh, something that might transcend the many norms of gaming narratives, but it is, in fact, the exact opposite. It is something that has been done so many times before that I am quite simply tired of it, and if they do not fix what they have done by the next game, i will be done with this series forever. i thought the ending was awsome to lead up to the next one cant wait for it !!

godsmack_darius
11-24-2009, 10:03 PM
K, Ezio! Go for rosa, she was HOT

If I am correct she IS THE girl who gets shot i the leg with an arrow am I right?