PDA

View Full Version : A big problem in commanding AI Heinkels

XyZspineZyX
09-21-2003, 04:05 PM
I have flown Heinkels online quite a bit recently and have noticed that AI Heinkels are useless when it comes to bombing at high altitudes. At a good bombing altitude (6000m) the AI doesn't see the targets anymore and refuses to release bombs. Is there a way to force AI to drop bombs or do they just hang around as cannonfodder? It would be nice if AI planes would release bombs when the leader says release bombs.

XyZspineZyX
09-21-2003, 04:05 PM
I have flown Heinkels online quite a bit recently and have noticed that AI Heinkels are useless when it comes to bombing at high altitudes. At a good bombing altitude (6000m) the AI doesn't see the targets anymore and refuses to release bombs. Is there a way to force AI to drop bombs or do they just hang around as cannonfodder? It would be nice if AI planes would release bombs when the leader says release bombs.

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 05:25 AM
There is no way to command them to drop thier bombs. Its all done in the waypoints. If a waypoint has something wrong with it they may just circle or fly away. Are they armed with bombs? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but it does happen. When selecting the flight make sure you arm them. I have seen several posts where people are having problems like this, or the planes missing the targets. I used to have those problems as well. But after I got a little better at doing things they usually do the job they are given. The only plane that hangs around to long for me is the HS-129. These guys dont leave until every enemy is dead. Fun to watch, but usually ends up losing a couple of them. Check the waypoints and load outs for the Heinkels. thats what it sounds like. And check the mission builders forum. Good luck with it.

Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation just keep's on knocking.

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Thank you for the reply

The missions I flew were VEF missions. In VEF you never see proper ground attack waypoint (correct me if I'm wrong) and it is pure suicide to follow those generated waypoints. That might be the problem, as you said. But despite that, it would be a good idea to add a radio command which would make the AI bombers to drop bombs. For example (...attack ground targets - target all). Otherwise you really cannot command AI to bomb (with good effect) if you don't have the opportunity to determine your waypoints before the mission.

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 06:36 PM
The AI ought to be made to drop on your cue, if they are flying in your formation and you are the lead bomber, When you realease, they should too. A few more AI bomber commands would be great though, especially if bombers in other flights kept better formation with your flight.

http://mysite.verizon.net/pmcgwire/IL2/
http://www.blarg.net/~Pete/redbaron.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 10:37 PM
Damn, I was wandering the same thing. I used the QMB to set up a dogfight on the crimean map using Luftwaffe aircraft. Upon entering the dogfight with the 2 vvs aircraft, the lucky bastard in the warship below scored a direct hit on my wing and brought me down, and this was at 3000 metres. So I restarted the qmb map, but added 8 ju87's with 500-200x2 and 4 He111's with torpedos. I'm now thinking....heh heh, see if you feel so lucky in your boats now. I could not get my AI bombers to bomb the fleet below. That sucked.

Leben Sie heute, für morgen zu k¤mpfen

XyZspineZyX
09-22-2003, 10:49 PM
To command bombers to attack a ground target via the tab radio command menu, they generally have to be in very short range of the target.

This includes their altitude.

Try telling them 'cover me' so that they'll follow you [works for fighter-bombers at least], dragging them with you to the target zone, then when they are within a couple of cliks of the target, tell them to attack the specific type of ground target [tab 6 6 7 for all planes in flight, ships]. Don't forget that you can also padlock ground targets using the F5 key and tell them 'attack my target' as well.

1.11 has added a couple of interesting things which I didn't think were there before. Something that comes to mind on this topic is that AI Ju87G1s are now able to attack ships, via a waypoint in the FMB or via AI commands.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)