PDA

View Full Version : Amazon vs. Steam

AssassinsRouge
11-08-2011, 02:17 PM
This is my first post here so I'm sorry if this has been covered already. I did search before posting and didn't find anything on this topic.

I'm thinking about buying ACR from Amazon but all my other AC games (PC) are played through Steam. Does anyone know if I would be able to add it to my Steam library and still have the "artwork" like those games bought from Steam?

I know this may sound like a very minor issue but I would rather purchase it via Steam for this reason alone. Foolish yes but I'd end up buying it again just so it would look nice. I'm looking forward to ACR but having only discovered the franchise recently I have been able to play both AC2 and ACB with the "complete editions". I'm not sure I could play it once and then replay it agan and again each time new DLC was released. Perhaps I am best waiting for ACR complete edition? As I have no doubt there will be DLC galore for ACR what do you think?

Thanks for reading.

A.R

xdj1nn
11-09-2011, 05:15 PM
dude, Steam versions of games differ from other versions, the CD-KEY is different, and stuff, what u're asking is somethin simply impossible to happen, you either buy from STEAM to get the bonuses, or you won't get the BONUSES, capice?

And speaking of which, I would not pre-order the game if I were ya, you'll end up paying 50 bucks to get the game in mid 2012 if UBI repeats the same thing they did with AC2 and AC Brotherhood

and that's about all I have to say by now, I'm really, really mad...

salad10203
11-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Unless you want to save on the discount at Amazon, I would use the Steam version. You will probably get an Icon but you will be missing out on auto-patching, overlay, and more.

LordAndromeda
11-10-2011, 12:32 PM
I'd say buy it preorder through GAMESTOP myself.

That way, registering the game to steam and then through uplay should work, AND you get the preorder bonuses they offer. I am assuming one such bonus is a larger carrying capacity for the new bombs, which is, IMO, by itself worth making the choice.

Black_Widow9
11-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by AssassinsRouge:
I'm thinking about buying ACR from Amazon but all my other AC games (PC) are played through Steam. Does anyone know if I would be able to add it to my Steam library and still have the "artwork" like those games bought from Steam?

Hello and welcome to the Forums http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Check this out-
Adding non-Steam games to your Library (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557)
If you have any other questions about it, I would suggest contacting Steam directly.
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

AssassinsRouge
11-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Thank you all for your replies and for your warm welcome. I think I may just wait for the Steam version. I would perhaps even wait for a deluxe or complete edition on PC.

I have a Playstation 3 as well as a PC and I think I may order the deluxe edition for the PS3 to tide me over until I can play the full game DLC and all on the PC.

To LordAndromeda as far as I am aware there are no Gamestop stores here in Europe. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.

DarthDeva
11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Certain countries in Europe have Gamestop.
For the UK it's online, in France Gamestop is Micromania(they are either owned by Gamestop or partners).
In Italy I've seen a lot of Gamestop.

If you want the Animus edition for PC, try gamestop site for your country/gamestop Uk
I have ordered from Micromania for AC:R on PC and they've got steelbook for all their AC:R preorder

kirill628
11-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by xdj1nn:
dude, Steam versions of games differ from other versions, the CD-KEY is different, and stuff, what u're asking is somethin simply impossible to happen, you either buy from STEAM to get the bonuses, or you won't get the BONUSES, capice?

And speaking of which, I would not pre-order the game if I were ya, you'll end up paying 50 bucks to get the game in mid 2012 if UBI repeats the same thing they did with AC2 and AC Brotherhood

and that's about all I have to say by now, I'm really, really mad...
? ??? ? ???? ??????? ?????? ??????? ???? ? ??? ????????????? OC ? ?????? ?? ???? ?????????? ????! ? steam ???? ????? ????????? ??? ?????, ? ??? ?? ??? ?????? ??? ???????? ????? ?? ??????? ? ?? ?????!

iN3krO
11-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Black_Widow9:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AssassinsRouge:

Hello and welcome to the Forums http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Check this out-
Adding non-Steam games to your Library (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557)
If you have any other questions about it, I would suggest contacting Steam directly.
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wonder why u try to make us look ******ed... when we like to have our game in steam is cuz u will able to acess the game in any computer without carrying the CD among other things...
Add non-steam game only will show ur friends u are playing and will make u able to acess steam while playing (bugged in some games)....

What the guy is asking is if this game is steampowared like cod4 and foward, football manager 2009 and foward among others games or if it's independent like Ac has been until here...

AcB had archivements in pc, however it was in-game archivements... it wouldn't be hard to include those archivements as we see them in ps3 and xbox if it was a steampowared game... same applies to call of duty games that have archivements on pc due to the steampowared.

It's both good for Pc players cuz will have a better product and for Ubisoft that will have free servers to host the game at and cuz will be able to save some time before wasted in adding a new menu just to show the archivements.

Ichthys91
11-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by daniel_gervide:

Wonder why u try to make us look ******ed...

With that kind of attitude, I might say that it's only what you deserve. Have you seen who wrote the comment? Who are you to say that the OP meant what you wrote? There is nothing on his post that say anything like that.

Next time, try to learn how to behave on a forum and try to use proper english.

iN3krO
11-23-2011, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by Ichthys91:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daniel_gervide:

Wonder why u try to make us look ******ed...

With that kind of attitude, I might say that it's only what you deserve. Have you seen who wrote the comment? Who are you to say that the OP meant what you wrote? There is nothing on his post that say anything like that.

Next time, try to learn how to behave on a forum and try to use proper english. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ichthys91 it's just that i'm tired of forum moderators of games developers saying that we can add the game to steam thought Add Non-Steam Game when it's totally false...

If we ask to associate the game to our steam account they already know we are talking have it there permanently as if it was bought there, just like call of duty or football manage.

I know i may appear rude but they know what we ask and they answer to another question and that makes me mad.

PS - Why did my behavior affect any1? I'm talking with the mod about his unnecessary answer, saying u try to make us look ******ed is insulting any1?

Ichthys91
11-23-2011, 06:52 AM
Ichthys91 it's just that i'm tired of forum moderators of games developers saying that we can add the game to steam thought Add Non-Steam Game when it's totally false...

It is?

If we ask to associate the game to our steam account they already know we are talking have it there permanently as if it was bought there, just like call of duty or football manage.

And who are you to decide what people mean? I may say that that is not what the OP meant. Does it make it right?

Originally posted by daniel_gervide:I know i may appear rude but they know what we ask and they answer to another question and that makes me mad.

Again, who are you to say that they are not answering the question? You can't buy a digital copy through Amazon, therefore the OP meant to ask how he can add his retail copy to Steam. Not what you want him to ask.

PS - Why did my behavior affect any1?

Because you are being rude, as you have acknowledge yourself.

iN3krO
11-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Again, who are you to say that they are not answering the question? You can't buy a digital copy through Amazon, therefore the OP meant to ask how he can add his retail copy to Steam. Not what you want him to ask.

OP:

If he wants to add it to the steam library and still have the art worked that steam offers for their customers it means he wants that the game is ASOCIATED to his steam account, this means that if he connects to his account anywhere he will see revelation listed and availiable to download thought steam.

The option the moderator gave him was just to run the game thought steam to let his friends see he's playing and let him acess steam while playing.

If he's a steam user he already know about add non-steam game. As well as if he's cod or fm player he knows that retail copies of some games can be associated to steam. Meaning that his question was about if AcR will be allowed to associate to his steam account.

The answer is no.

Only games that uses steam resources to play online are (or valve games) are availiable to associate to steam accounts if bought physically (steampowared games).

Since ubisofts doesn't want to use steam servers (idk why), there is no point for the game being steampowared, meaning that the CD-Key that comes with the retail version is just for the uplay account and not compatible with steam plataform.

@Ichthys91 if you are not an user of Steam plataform please stay away from the discussion, if u were an user of Steam you would know that he wouldn't be asking such a stupid question as "can i add the game as a non-steam game to my library?".

Ichthys91
11-24-2011, 11:03 AM
@Ichthys91 if you are not an user of Steam plataform please stay away from the discussion, if u were an user of Steam you would know that he wouldn't be asking such a stupid question as "can i add the game as a non-steam game to my library?".

Sigh... There is cure for such arrogance.

iN3krO
11-24-2011, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daniel_gervide:

Sigh... There is cure for such arrogance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is also cure for ignorance.

But i still see u don't agree to me that the answer given by the mod is totally stupid and does not answer what the OP asked.

Ichthys91
11-24-2011, 05:34 PM
There is also cure for ignorance.

Exactly. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif