PDA

View Full Version : Compendium on the No Mouse In-Game bug

DuckFiasco
02-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Well I bought Myst 4 hearing tales of this bug being resolved in the full version from the demo. Unfortunately, it wasn't and I still can't play because the mouse simply doesn't work in the game. After a lengthy discussion with ubi's tech support, they promptly stopped responding after I exhausted their list of preliminaries (which I'd already said I did in the first post, but that's another issue). So I thought I'd save people with the same problem the trouble of jumping through hoops which just end up being time fillers instead of solutions.

First, main things which do not affect this bug as far as I've noticed:
* Windows version, SP version
* DirectX installation
* Video card, drivers
* Mouse, drivers
* Processor (64-bit or otherwise)

And here's what I was directed to do by tech support, as well as what I've done, all to no avail in resolving the issue.

1. Patched Myst 4 to 1.02
2. Uninstalled and reinstalled the game, tried in windowed mode afterward.
3. Reinstalled video card drivers, tried Catalyst versions down to 4.8 as well as Omega and DNA revisions. Disabled secondary display.
4. Uninstalled DirectX 9.0c, tried 9.0b, and then reinstalled 9.0c.
5. Ran scandisk, defragged, did a virus scan, spyware/adware scan.
6. Ended all extraneous background services.
7. Ran in safe mode.
8. Submitted my dxdiag/msinfo32, about which no comment was made or ideas proposed.
9. Uninstalled my Logitech mouseware, installed plain Windows mouse drivers, then MS Intellipoint 4.12.
10. Tried an old three-button MS mouse I had lying around.
11. Scrubbed my registry of invalid entries, cleaned up temp/extraneous/invalid files on my hard-drive.
12. Tried an old 2x DVD drive to install instead of my Lite-On one.
13. Applied a no-CD patch to my game to see if SafeDisc was interfering. It wasn't.
14. Uninstalled my Aston desktop shell.
15. Did a repair XP installation.
16. Flashed my motherboard BIOS.

Then I give my Myst 4 DVDs to my bf and it works perfectly on his computer with no hitches. So I have no idea what the problem is, and apparently Ubi doesn't either. What I do know, though, is that for me, none of these ideas fixed the problem and I find it annoying that after all that, tech support simply stops responding (been five days now). This problem seems to affect people regardless of system specifications or mouse, as the other people I've seen with this problem vary from low-end Pentium 3s to high-end systems with 64-bit processors and nVidia cards (I have an ATi). The only solution anyone seems to have that works is a complete system reformat. For a single game, that's ludicrous. I would like to see Ubi acknowledge this problem and work on figuring out what's up.

If even one customer pays for a product that doesn't work, much to the bafflement of support and the company does nothing about it, there's something wrong. What's even more annoying is the no-refund policy on opened games even places like Amazon.com have. So I don't even get my money back.

DuckFiasco
02-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Well I bought Myst 4 hearing tales of this bug being resolved in the full version from the demo. Unfortunately, it wasn't and I still can't play because the mouse simply doesn't work in the game. After a lengthy discussion with ubi's tech support, they promptly stopped responding after I exhausted their list of preliminaries (which I'd already said I did in the first post, but that's another issue). So I thought I'd save people with the same problem the trouble of jumping through hoops which just end up being time fillers instead of solutions.

First, main things which do not affect this bug as far as I've noticed:
* Windows version, SP version
* DirectX installation
* Video card, drivers
* Mouse, drivers
* Processor (64-bit or otherwise)

And here's what I was directed to do by tech support, as well as what I've done, all to no avail in resolving the issue.

1. Patched Myst 4 to 1.02
2. Uninstalled and reinstalled the game, tried in windowed mode afterward.
3. Reinstalled video card drivers, tried Catalyst versions down to 4.8 as well as Omega and DNA revisions. Disabled secondary display.
4. Uninstalled DirectX 9.0c, tried 9.0b, and then reinstalled 9.0c.
5. Ran scandisk, defragged, did a virus scan, spyware/adware scan.
6. Ended all extraneous background services.
7. Ran in safe mode.
8. Submitted my dxdiag/msinfo32, about which no comment was made or ideas proposed.
9. Uninstalled my Logitech mouseware, installed plain Windows mouse drivers, then MS Intellipoint 4.12.
10. Tried an old three-button MS mouse I had lying around.
11. Scrubbed my registry of invalid entries, cleaned up temp/extraneous/invalid files on my hard-drive.
12. Tried an old 2x DVD drive to install instead of my Lite-On one.
13. Applied a no-CD patch to my game to see if SafeDisc was interfering. It wasn't.
14. Uninstalled my Aston desktop shell.
15. Did a repair XP installation.
16. Flashed my motherboard BIOS.

Then I give my Myst 4 DVDs to my bf and it works perfectly on his computer with no hitches. So I have no idea what the problem is, and apparently Ubi doesn't either. What I do know, though, is that for me, none of these ideas fixed the problem and I find it annoying that after all that, tech support simply stops responding (been five days now). This problem seems to affect people regardless of system specifications or mouse, as the other people I've seen with this problem vary from low-end Pentium 3s to high-end systems with 64-bit processors and nVidia cards (I have an ATi). The only solution anyone seems to have that works is a complete system reformat. For a single game, that's ludicrous. I would like to see Ubi acknowledge this problem and work on figuring out what's up.

If even one customer pays for a product that doesn't work, much to the bafflement of support and the company does nothing about it, there's something wrong. What's even more annoying is the no-refund policy on opened games even places like Amazon.com have. So I don't even get my money back.

Heimdall_G
02-24-2005, 10:13 AM
A couple of suggestions:

1. Remove SP2 and install SP1a. See How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350&Product=winxp). Remove SP2 and reboot, then install SP1a, available here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/default.asp). Reboot after SP1a installation.

2. Install the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. These drivers will be available from your motherboard manufacturer's or PC manufacturer's website.

BTW, where did you submit your DxDiag report? I don't find it in this Forum.

DuckFiasco
02-24-2005, 01:09 PM
I was detailing what happened with Ubi tech support. They have my dxdiag file http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I've also already tried SP1a instead of SP2, and my chipset drivers (epox 8rda+/nforce2) are up to date.

Given the wide range of systems that this bug occurs on, I'm not so sure it's a problem with any specific piece of hardware or drivers I have. I'm inclined to believe it's a problem with Windows (as lots of problems are), and maybe with how Myst 4 interacts with explorer.

I'm mostly peeved about having my problem ditched by Ubi for a week then changed to "solved" when in fact, no, it never was solved and the last response I got was one-sentence on the 18th http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Thank you for offering your aid though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PmHarding
02-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Dear Duckfiasco,
Yes, the Ubisoft support seems to vanish after their "standard reply" form is sent.
I ended up having to turn off my hyperthreading to get my mouse to work properly {See "Cursor/Mouse Jumping" further down the postings).
After seeing all the problems so many people are having - I'm beginning to wonder.
Don't get me wrong: I have enjoyed URU, and IL Sturmovik without any problems at all!!! Go Figure.
I hope somewhere in all this we'll find the puzzles in the game more enjoyable than the puzzles we have to muddle through - to get to the puzzles!
- Peter -

DuckFiasco
02-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Well Ubi told me that supposedly no one else has reported this problem so they aren't going to look into it more.

I know I'm not the only one with this problem, and I wonder how many people with it did go through the process of contacting Ubi.

In any scenario, looks like I'm out of luck since Ubi has no ideas and neither do I. I don't have a processor that supports hyperthreading as far as I'm aware (Athlon XP 2600+) so that wouldn't be a problem http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif