PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Port Number

dbillo
12-20-2007, 12:01 PM
I just saw an odd thing on my dedicated server. I saw that there was a player connected, but it didn't get recorded in the iplog. I could see the player listed when I look at my server on Hyperlobby, though, so he must have joined that way.

When I send 'socket udp' to the server, it returns the player's IP, but the port number for his socket is :8420

Is this unusual? Whenever I use HL to join a server, it always resets my game port to :21000.

Redwulf 32 - Nis
12-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by dbillo:
I just saw an odd thing on my dedicated server. I saw that there was a player connected, but it didn't get recorded in the iplog. I could see the player listed when I look at my server on Hyperlobby, though, so he must have joined that way.

When I send 'socket udp' to the server, it returns the player's IP, but the port number for his socket is :8420

Is this unusual? Whenever I use HL to join a server, it always resets my game port to :21000.

You can use any port number you want, 21000 just being the default. Not a good idea to use a 'well known' port number though.

See http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

na85
12-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Iana doesn't reserve 8420