PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!

jds1978
07-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Greetings...yesterday i purchased PF and have so far been thrilled w/ the game....

However...i seem to be having several problems

1. the "Level Stabalizer" command will not work. i realize that this is a "user defined" command and have spent quit a bit of time "re-defining" the command to various keys. nothing helps. i cannot get any plane to level-off and hold a certain altitude. Suggestions?

2. i've noticed that many early war Japanese fighters seem to develope engine trouble when i point the nose down (elevator up command). Specifically the engine tends to sputter and die, which can be a real problem if you're trying to dive on a F4F or straffe Pearl Harbor.

PS: I'm running the unpatched 3.0 version out of the box.

FritzGryphon
07-17-2005, 07:00 PM
1. The command only works for bombers. Other than that, not sure why it wouldn't work.

Maybe look for a command called "toggle level autopilot". I think in the box version, the command is misnamed.

2. Some engines will stop if you push negative G. You have to avoid this, usually by doing a half roll to dive.

Bearcat99
07-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Are you running PF standalone or full merged... do you have a joystick... if not get a stick.

money_money
07-17-2005, 11:01 PM
re. no. 2 if i remember correctly, i had the same thing with the out of the box PF, but after patching its not like this.
$

strelnik_Sipi
07-18-2005, 05:04 AM
Early wrbirds had carburator engines wich dont work if you push negative G's. Its got nothing to do with your version or computer. Just learn wich arcrafts do it and then dont push the stick. You need to do a half roll if you want to dive.

VW-IceFire
07-18-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by jds1978:
Greetings...yesterday i purchased PF and have so far been thrilled w/ the game....

However...i seem to be having several problems

1. the "Level Stabalizer" command will not work. i realize that this is a "user defined" command and have spent quit a bit of time "re-defining" the command to various keys. nothing helps. i cannot get any plane to level-off and hold a certain altitude. Suggestions?

2. i've noticed that many early war Japanese fighters seem to develope engine trouble when i point the nose down (elevator up command). Specifically the engine tends to sputter and die, which can be a real problem if you're trying to dive on a F4F or straffe Pearl Harbor.

PS: I'm running the unpatched 3.0 version out of the box.
1) Level stabilizer only works in bombers. In PF its the B-25H and the G4M Betty only (if you have the patches).
2) A historical error was made with regards to the Zero's engine and negative-G performance. Initial US reports stated that the Zero's engine would loose fuel when pushing negative-G's. This was proven incorrect in combat and by Japanese sources and it was later fixed.

You should download the patches. Here's the order:
1) PF 3.0 (what you have now)
2) PF 3.03 (the 100mb version which goes from 3.0 to 3.3)
3) PF 4.01

A word of warning about 4.01. Its the best most accurate version of the game but its also harder to fly. Turn off flight elements like torque if you want to fly like before.

jds1978
07-18-2005, 04:00 PM
thanks

your help has been great! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

JunkoIfurita
07-18-2005, 11:20 PM
One word extra - level stabilizer only works for bombers, sure, but to keep a fighter in level flight you have to learn how to trim the aircraft correctly.

Most aircraft have either full or partial trim tabs - usually rudder (yaw) and elevator (pitch) trim, but sometimes roll trim as well. You'll have default trim key assignments, but you may want to change them.

Basically, if your plane is falling over one side or the other, it's usually because you haven't 'centred the ball' or used yaw (rudder trim) to compensate for the torque of the engine. You'll notice this ESPECIALLY if you fly aircraft in 4.01, where the torque model has been significantly improved.

So your plane usually has an indicator that consists of a vertical needle, and a small ball bearing inside a metre. the needles shows your roll, and the 'ball' shows your side slip (yaw). You need to 'centre the ball' by applying compensating rudder trim (depending on which way the ball is going). Once the ball is centred, your plane won't roll crazily anywhere near as much. Some large planes (like the D3A1 Val) need to be compensated for with roll AND yaw to fly level - the Val has both trims, so 'centre the ball' first, then adjust roll trim until the plane flies level.

English planes (like the seafire) have a 'side slip' indicator, which uses a side-to-side needle rather than a ball bearing. The principle for trimming remains the same.

Pitch trim is useful for flying level, or maintaining a slight climb or slight dive - whatever you want. Bear in mind, though, that pitch trim needs to be constantly compensated. Basically, as you speed up, your nose tends to raise. So if you want to fly level you'll keep having to add 'nose down trim' until your speed evens out. The opposite is true as the speed decreases, of course.

All this is assuming you leave the torque/gyro settings to on in the difficulty settings. I highly recommend it - I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it's definitely worth it for the extra immersion into the sim.

Hope you have fun, and welcome to the community!

Cheers,
Junko 'Ifurita' Kimura
('Junkers' with the Wedge Tailed Eagles squadron)

----

Spook57
07-19-2005, 12:51 AM
If you are a skip-bombing addict like me, you will find that a few clicks of negative (nose-down)elevator trim help keep the aircraft level when you're hurtling across the water at 50 feet.