PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea...

Itto_Okami
12-29-2004, 01:41 AM
...and I don't know how practical it can be...
Yesterday, looking at my new copy of AJ-Press Monografie Lotnicze release about the Avenger, I've noticed a thing.. Like Wildcat and Corsair, and many others airplanes, the Avengere was built not only by (cof cof) -Gr***an- but by Eastern too... Some time ago a Japanese model firm, to overcome the troubles about licence decided to produce models of the GM FM-2 Wildcat.
Sorry ro rise again the question about the troubles about licence and airplanes usable in the sims but I think that this could by a way to go around the obstacle.
instead of a Vought F-4U Corsair we could have a Good Year FG-1 Corsair, instead of a Grumman F4F we could have a General Motors FM-2 Wildcat (and if I'm not wrong there should be a Brewster version too) and finally we could have a flyable version of the Avenger having it called Eastern TBM-3 Avenger...

just two cents...

S!

Itto

Itto_Okami
12-29-2004, 01:41 AM
...and I don't know how practical it can be...
Yesterday, looking at my new copy of AJ-Press Monografie Lotnicze release about the Avenger, I've noticed a thing.. Like Wildcat and Corsair, and many others airplanes, the Avengere was built not only by (cof cof) -Gr***an- but by Eastern too... Some time ago a Japanese model firm, to overcome the troubles about licence decided to produce models of the GM FM-2 Wildcat.
Sorry ro rise again the question about the troubles about licence and airplanes usable in the sims but I think that this could by a way to go around the obstacle.
instead of a Vought F-4U Corsair we could have a Good Year FG-1 Corsair, instead of a Grumman F4F we could have a General Motors FM-2 Wildcat (and if I'm not wrong there should be a Brewster version too) and finally we could have a flyable version of the Avenger having it called Eastern TBM-3 Avenger...

just two cents...

S!

Itto

Raptor_20thFG
12-29-2004, 05:12 AM
thanks for the topic but I think that the issue with Gr***an has resloved itself

WildeSau
12-29-2004, 08:12 AM
might be a solution - but hope they come to a solution where it's not necessary to do it this way. If not, this is really a thing to think about.

WildeSau

Latico
12-29-2004, 10:50 AM
Like all the rest of us, without knowing exactly whaqt the situation was over the license issue, I don't think it had as much to do with the "names" as it did the aircrafts airframe designs. I suspect that Grumman owns the copyrights to those designs and a license to reproduce those designs in any form for profit apparently needs to be secured.

Grumman designed the FM2, which, for all intent and purposes, is merely the last improvement of the F4F. Grumman was swamped trying to produce and deliver the new Avengers, so they licensed another company to manufacture the FM2. Grumman still retained the copyrights of the design of the aircraft.

So, I don't thin renaming an airframe would "cut the musterd". If the 3d model looks like an Avenger in detail (as all of the aircraft do in the IL2 series) calling it a "ACME Torp Pooper" ain't gonna help.