PDA

View Full Version : Renting and running a dedicated server for IL2 Pacific Fighters

hamselv2
04-22-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm researching running and renting a dedicated server for IL2 Pacific Fighters (merged install), and therefore I would like to see contributions from the community.

I'm looking for a host that can provide a stable connection for a dedicated server that can be controlled remotely by several administrators.
I have no experience with running a dedicated server myself.

From you who have experience with renting and running a server I would like to know:

Max. numbers of players you have on your server ?
Name of the HyperLobby game server(s) that you have experience from ?
Have you been running FBDaemon and/or IL2 Server Commander successfully ?
Have you been using the statistics modules for FBDaemon and/or IL2 Server Commander successfully ?
Is your server running smoothly except for when 'highpingers' join ?
'Average' pings in an 'average' game ?

Who is host of your dedicated server (name and hyperlink to host's website) ?
Costs (monthly) ?
Support (phone/online) ?
Can the rented dedicated server be controlled remotely by several administrators ?

Specifications for the dedicated server software/hardware:
Operating system ?
CPU ?
Amount and type of RAM ?
Hard drives: model, size, RPM, S-ATA/P-ATA/SCSI, RAID ?
Max. download and upload speed (mbit/s) ?
Approximately monthly amount of traffic (GB/month) when hosting dedicated server ?

What do you think would be the smallest amount of RAM that a server needs - and what amount would be ideal ?

hamselv2
04-22-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm researching running and renting a dedicated server for IL2 Pacific Fighters (merged install), and therefore I would like to see contributions from the community.

I'm looking for a host that can provide a stable connection for a dedicated server that can be controlled remotely by several administrators.
I have no experience with running a dedicated server myself.

From you who have experience with renting and running a server I would like to know:

Max. numbers of players you have on your server ?
Name of the HyperLobby game server(s) that you have experience from ?
Have you been running FBDaemon and/or IL2 Server Commander successfully ?
Have you been using the statistics modules for FBDaemon and/or IL2 Server Commander successfully ?
Is your server running smoothly except for when 'highpingers' join ?
'Average' pings in an 'average' game ?

Who is host of your dedicated server (name and hyperlink to host's website) ?
Costs (monthly) ?
Support (phone/online) ?
Can the rented dedicated server be controlled remotely by several administrators ?

Specifications for the dedicated server software/hardware:
Operating system ?
CPU ?
Amount and type of RAM ?
Hard drives: model, size, RPM, S-ATA/P-ATA/SCSI, RAID ?
Max. download and upload speed (mbit/s) ?
Approximately monthly amount of traffic (GB/month) when hosting dedicated server ?

What do you think would be the smallest amount of RAM that a server needs - and what amount would be ideal ?

Hunter82
04-22-2005, 06:37 PM
#1 I would check if they will support the game or if it can be added. They may charge a fee to install special software(I've seen some as much as $300 to install special)even though the dedicated is a free app. Admin accounts may be set at a limit and extra per user/per month. Most also charge as a fee per player say just for ha ha's (just a round number) $7 per player x 32 players = $224 per month...

Alot of hosts will only do FPS with the lower load. Most are also shared boxes and PF merged is going to gobble up alot of CPU usage so a low load or dedicated box from the host may be required.

WTE_DuStA
04-26-2005, 10:47 PM
I simply bought my own server, put it in a 2U case and got it hosted at an isp. Costs me $80 AUD a month with unlimited uploads ( which is what is important when your hosting a server, not downloads) on a 10mb connection . This enables us to run a 50 player server with FBDaemon and FBDStats which are viewable at http://il2.dusta.net

The server is visible on hyperlobby as WTE_DED . All in all the hardware for the server cost me around $400 AUD and i personally think this is the better option than renting a server as you have complete control over it and can have it running 100% before the server goes online.

The server in question runs 2003 server with ADS,exchange 2003 etc. Also runs a VBS1 server in conjuction with a few other websites and domains.
Hardware specs of my machine are intel server mainboard (cant; remeber model #, at work atm) 4 x 512mb pc3200 ddr modules , 2 x80gb sata drives , p4 2.4 northwood cpu .

Running a 50 player server with FBD and stats running , plus skindownloads active with around 35-40 people on uses around 45% cpu usage and uses around 300mb of memory. This is running off one "virtual" cpu asn the other cpu is allocated to running the VBS1 server . Both "virtual" cpu's also have the remaining services shared between the two cpu's . The server never hits more than about 50% cpu usgae and there is always more than 900mb of 2gig of memory still free.

I am probably doing around 2-3 gig a month of traffic as il2 doesn't transmit massive amounts of data. Nothing like say an battlefield 1942 server for instance

My server is in australia so it's prob of no use to you of my hosting company :P