PDA

View Full Version : any difference between 1G and 2G RAMs in gameplay?

aladarhsu
01-08-2005, 06:09 AM
My system is:P4 3.0G, graphic card: nvidia 6800GT, Rams is upgrading from 1G to 2G, but no obvious difference is observed in fps when playing the IL2FB+AEP+FP! Is 1G Ram enough for this game? or 1.5G Ram more adequate?

aladarhsu
01-08-2005, 06:09 AM
My system is:P4 3.0G, graphic card: nvidia 6800GT, Rams is upgrading from 1G to 2G, but no obvious difference is observed in fps when playing the IL2FB+AEP+FP! Is 1G Ram enough for this game? or 1.5G Ram more adequate?

Cajun76
01-08-2005, 06:14 AM
FPS is largly not RAM dependant if you have the recommended amount. FPS is generally CPU and vid card.

What I noticed was the loading time was faster, and less stutters in crowded areas, ie., lots of houses and such being loaded as I fly over towns.

I'm currently maxed out at 2 GBs of RAM.

aladarhsu
01-08-2005, 06:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cajun76:
FPS is largly not RAM dependant if you have the recommended amount. FPS is generally CPU and vid card.

What _I_ noticed was the loading time was faster, and less stutters in crowded areas, ie., lots of houses and such being loaded as I fly over towns.

I'm currently maxed out at 2 GBs of RAM. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it sounds stutters being inevitable in this gameplay especially when more houses, planes and ships are present even you have high-end video graphic card! Thanks for your kind comments.

hamselv2
01-08-2005, 09:04 AM
With 2 gigs of RAM you could try disabling the pagefile (pagefile = 0 MB). That could improve your PC performance, not only in the game.

Texas LongHorn
01-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Hey aladarhsu, you can't really chalk everything up to any single thing like RAM, vid card, etc in respect to performance. If you look at high-end gaming systems built by outfits like Alienware and Falcon-NW they optimise EVERYTHING! For instance the processor may have more onboard cache (a P4 EE for example,) the vid card bleeds money and video RAM, the two fast harddrives run in RAID, the OS has been optimised to not run garbage in the background.... The list goes on and on &lt;ggg.&gt; Do you see where I'm going with this? All the best, LongHorn

kiddknapp59
01-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Ok, math time. I Alt-Tab out of the game once due to a problem. I checked the RAM usage and the game was using around 680mb; more than Half-Life 2 by the way. The OS uses less than 300mb. I have 2gigs. The game WON€T TOUCH the second gig. Not even counting what Windows uses. Won€t touch it. If the game doesn€t use it, there can€t be any benefit.

Hunter82
01-08-2005, 01:07 PM
when you minimize or alt tab the game it releases all objects from ram except the gui and small items needed by the sim to operate. Maps,AC, and all ground objects are released. Generally most PF maps and larger online engagments use more than 1GB of ram if allowed.

TheGozr
01-08-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm lucky not to have take the road of any dell,cpompaq, Alienware pc.

p1ngu666
01-08-2005, 02:42 PM
hunter, any way to tell how much il2 uses?
maybe if u have 2 moniters then u can keep taskmanager up on the other...

smoothing out the jerks would be good...
wonder how much more ram is..

x__CRASH__x
01-08-2005, 02:42 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hamselv2:
With 2 gigs of RAM you could try disabling the pagefile (pagefile = 0 MB). That could improve your PC performance, not only in the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

where do you do this?

Hunter82
01-08-2005, 03:18 PM
don't do it because XP will still use a pagefile for itself even if disabled. Set to system managded it works best

kiddknapp59
01-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Uh, FreeMem keeps track of RAM use over time, so you can check what it was using, not just what it is using. I have never seen a game use a gig of RAM. Photoshop, yes, a game, no.

Edit: I'll correct myself, I did manage to get it to break the one gig mark. I had to push it, but I did manage it. At the time the OS was using around 380mb. Use hit around 1200 or so. I could get it under a gig if I cut down on the amount the OS was using.

aladarhsu
01-08-2005, 04:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hamselv2:
With 2 gigs of RAM you could try disabling the pagefile (pagefile = 0 MB). That could improve your PC performance, not only in the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't know where to disable the pagefile? Someone told it is not wise to do that, but I want to take a try......

hamselv2
01-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Disabling pagefile (using WindowsXP):

Rightclick 'My computer'.
Choose 'Properties'.
Choose 'Advanced'.
Choose 'Performance - settings'.
Choose 'Advanced - Virtual memory - change'.
Choose 'No pagefile'.
Click 'Set'.
Click 'OK'.

One of my squad mates did what I have suggested here and got better (smoother) game performance.

hamselv2
01-08-2005, 06:46 PM
You can make a log file of your memory usage with CacheMan. CacheMan is a memory tweaker, that will help you recover memory when it's not used, and it tells me how much RAM I'm using at any time. You can activate the logging feature - and then the software will save RAM data every X (you choose) minutes. It can be set to save physical RAM usage, Pagefile usage, or amount of Free RAM.
I have used the logging feature (with 1 gig of RAM in my PC), and when playing online IL2 PF I use approx. 950 MB of physical RAM, and approx. 200 MB of pagefile.

Cess-Harp
01-08-2005, 07:39 PM
I have one machine with one Gig and an other with two Gig.
I can see no change between them. The FPS is the same also.
IF you drop down to 512 then you will see a slow down and more frame flicker. But you probably alread know that.

SeaFireLIV
01-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Well I just went to 1.5 gig from 1 gig and honestly I can`t see any improvement. In fact, for me personally the noticable improvements stopped once I went to 768 ram. But te more the merrier, why not if you can get it?

hamselv2
01-08-2005, 09:44 PM
I would like players to do 2 things:

All players should try to log (see above) their physical RAM usage and Pagefile usage during online play as.
Then post on this forum (as I have done in this thread):
Max. physical RAM usage. Max. pagefile usage.
Your amount of physical RAM.
Players with 1,5+ gigs of RAM should try disabling the pagefile (see above) during online play.
Then post on this forum:
Your amount of physical RAM.
Did disabling the pagefile change the game performance, using the same settings as before -or can you run higher settings with the same framerate ?

GAU-8
01-09-2005, 03:18 AM
dont rely as just IL-2 series as deciding factor for RAM, guys.

if you:

.use teamspeak
.vector/track-IR enabled
.hyperlobby connected
.HOTAS/joystick profile activated (such as to use comms thru joystick activation)
.voice activation program

if your something close to that, i wouldnt go about RAM factoring for JUST IL-2 series. just because your RAM doesnt go past a gig in game, doesnt mean that another 512, or 1 gig is going to do NOTHING.

now, if you are soley OFFLINE, no accessories,JUST IL-2, then maaaaaybe a different story.

im sure ill be corrected if wrong;P

_1SMV_Pet
01-09-2005, 05:15 AM
You can improve you pc performances by defragmenting the pagefile (to do this use Diskeeper or other progs like this).
Before defragmenting my pagefile was divided into 73 fragments (some fragments with &lt;1MB size); more fragments=more seek time.
Now i've 1GB contiguous page file http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hunter82
01-09-2005, 06:00 AM
OK guys here we go.

Each AC uses 2-3 mb of ram per player as selected, each time you hit refly that 2-3 mbs grows X's 50 players = 100-150mbs ram plus map size smaller maps = less ram used. Berlin, Stalingrad,Lvov, Gulf of Finland, etc use roughly 350 to 512 mb ram for the map alone.

Where larger amouts of memory come into play are when these are drawn, AC are selected, map makers add alot of ground targets, or larger online environments (hosts of 50 or greater AC).

If you are running with S3TC on your numbers will be slightly lower than with it off.... I never use S3TC because the textures to me look like ....

You probably would have a hard time finding it using a GB of ram but monitor memory and see if any has been paged even with it disabled in Windows.... (XP overides user selections for this and pages memory on it's own for the OS).

Now go into a larger map say Berlin or Normandy and fly near a city.... check ram usage,pagefile,and look in your task bar for that neat little triangle XP flashes and says your pagefile is too low.

Hunter82
01-09-2005, 06:01 AM
Yep, I also use it to increase the MFT also. Diskeeper is great

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by _1SMV_Pet:
You can improve you pc performances by defragmenting the pagefile (to do this use Diskeeper or other progs like this).
Before defragmenting my pagefile was divided into 73 fragments (some fragments with &lt;1MB size); more fragments=more seek time.
Now i've 1GB contiguous page file http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hamselv2
01-09-2005, 07:50 AM
If you want to defragment your pagefile there is a free alternative to Diskeeper: Pagedefrag.
I've been using it for a long time.
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml
I have my pagefile set up on a separate hardddrive, on a separate controller. My pagefile has a fixed size, so that XP wont have to calculate pagefile size all the time