PDA

View Full Version : Val Gas tank not moddeled correctly



WoodShaver3
12-15-2004, 03:07 AM
I'm building an historical accurate attack on pearl harbour and the japanese carriers were 200 miles (320 km) off the coast of the island.
The planes took off at 6:10 and arrived at the coast at 7:40 making it an ingress time of 1:50 at 235 Km/h. The problem is that even with an egress speed of 180 km/h the Vals will run out of fuel about 50 km away of the carrier when returning even at 100% fuel. they were carrying a 250 kg bomb on their way to the island and nothing when returning to the ship.

WoodShaver3
12-15-2004, 03:07 AM
I'm building an historical accurate attack on pearl harbour and the japanese carriers were 200 miles (320 km) off the coast of the island.
The planes took off at 6:10 and arrived at the coast at 7:40 making it an ingress time of 1:50 at 235 Km/h. The problem is that even with an egress speed of 180 km/h the Vals will run out of fuel about 50 km away of the carrier when returning even at 100% fuel. they were carrying a 250 kg bomb on their way to the island and nothing when returning to the ship.

The_Great_Stonk
12-15-2004, 06:32 AM
do the ai use cruise settings ? do they lower pitch throttle and mixture to gain efficiency ?

i doubt it. try it flying manually.

Airmail109
12-15-2004, 06:35 AM
does it really bother you that much http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Billy_BigBoy
12-15-2004, 06:45 AM
My best guess is you've just proved there was a conspiracy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

Jieitai_Tsunami
12-15-2004, 06:55 AM
I think I flew that mission and even when I crashed into the sea I still got the "Mission completed" message http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

I'm not sure if UBI knows this but when you read that the zero can fly 1000s of miles it does not mean they are flying flat-out all the time.

Aircraft engines need to be economised using the mix and prop RPM. Try leaning the mix and pitch if you can keep up with your lead..

Maj_Death
12-15-2004, 07:03 AM
I flew the Pearl Harbor mission included with PF and ran into that problem. I never suffered a fuel leak, took 100% fuel and flew at 80% power to and from the target, I ran out of fuel about 10km from the carriers. Fortunately the Val is a good glider and I had plenty of altitude so I managed to make a decent dead stick landing on my carrier. None of the AI Vals made it though.

Ruy Horta
12-15-2004, 10:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maj_Death:
I flew the Pearl Harbor mission included with PF and ran into that problem. I never suffered a fuel leak, took 100% fuel and flew at 80% power to and from the target, I ran out of fuel about 10km from the carriers. Fortunately the Val is a good glider and I had plenty of altitude so I managed to make a decent dead stick landing on my carrier. None of the AI Vals made it though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try it again with the engine running on the leanest mix and throttle setting you can while staying comfortably air borne.

80% isn't particularly "cruising" and that at 100% mixture...

Dog.Corban
12-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi that€s an awful lot of stick time m8€¦.but seriously I set up a test mission with the Val on the Hawaii map with a 250kg bomb put it on auto pilot and let it go, I checked it periodically while I did (stuff watch tv, eat etc) then let the bomb go with half a tank of fuel remaining, it managed to fly for2 hours and 15 minutes at 290kmh with bomb and 300 km/h following release, pretty good but not accurate as you point out ,feel free to correct me if the test was inaccurate . Have you seen the collection of real orders for the mission? Here http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/monos/097/index.html

http://www.gamespec.co.uk/dog.corban-web.jpg

WTE_Gog
12-15-2004, 12:47 PM
80% is way too much throttle if your intent is to cruise over a very long distance.

If I have a long way to fly, like in New Guinea, I will generally use between 55% and 70% throttle until I reach the target area/base.

joeap
12-15-2004, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dog.Corban:
Hi that€s an awful lot of stick time m8€¦.but seriously I set up a test mission with the Val on the Hawaii map with a 250kg bomb put it on auto pilot and let it go, I checked it periodically while I did (stuff watch tv, eat etc) then let the bomb go with half a tank of fuel remaining, it managed to fly for2 hours and 15 minutes at 290kmh with bomb and 300 km/h following release, pretty good but not accurate as you point out ,feel free to correct me if the test was inaccurate . Have you seen the collection of real orders for the mission? Here http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/monos/097/index.html

http://www.gamespec.co.uk/dog.corban-web.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I really don't think you should use the autopilot if you want to fly with the most efficiency. You should run that test without AP, ie. fly it yourself. Which is hard to do, since most of us have to do other things too. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dog.Corban
12-15-2004, 08:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Gog:
80% is way too much throttle if your intent is to cruise over a very long distance.

If I have a long way to fly, like in New Guinea, I will generally use between 55% and 70% throttle until I reach the target area/base. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rgr I tried it again tested the Val with 250kg bomb but with 60% MIX & 55% power 180 km/h ALT climbed to 2000M Dropped the bomb with 50% fuel on the gauge it stayed airborne for 3 hours 25 minutes mostly on auto checking it periodically. flying that long on a sim in one mission is getting into virtual airlines territory lol its ample time for a very long coop but I haven€t seen many guys on hl prepared to fly that long in a coop in this test 332 Nautical miles seems the Val falls short in range


http://www.gamespec.co.uk/dog.corban-web.jpg