PDA

View Full Version : New to this community, need a crumb of help

Fish6891
11-05-2004, 08:02 AM
The name is FISH, glad to be be posting here, looking forward to getting to know the lot of you. You can say I'm relatively new to the IL2 flock, this is the 2nd topic I've started, been about a week since I attained FB-AEP-PF. I've paroosed the forums a bit and have concluded that this community is unusually active and that it was worth registering to post with you people on these forums. From my first post I have also been able to adjudge that the FW crowd is extremely helpful and that a special comraderie exists between them, which is good seeing as to how my rides of choice are the Focke-Wulfs(Dora especially) and the Tank. Now to get to my question, it involves this remarkable program that I've recently attained called Hyperlobby.

Truly a charming program, very practical and effective indeed, I have just one dilemma though. There are good PF servers in there that I can fly in but I cannot join any Euro Front servers, I long for my beloved Focke-Wulfs and grow weary of that blasted Zero! Yes its a fun aircraft(especially for kamikaze) and effective for close dogfights but mudwrestling in this aircraft just doesn't satisfy me as much as fencing in my Dora. What am I to do?

I know this is probably a stupid question with a simple solution but as I said b4 I'm new to all this. In addition to that I'm naturally quite dim, being a fish and all(Woe is me), so take THAT into consideration BEFORE you judge me!
I suspect its some patch problem with the Hyperlobby or FBAEPPF.

So someone please elucidate the complication for this feeble-minded fish.

Regards,
The Flying Fish

Fish6891
11-05-2004, 08:02 AM
The name is FISH, glad to be be posting here, looking forward to getting to know the lot of you. You can say I'm relatively new to the IL2 flock, this is the 2nd topic I've started, been about a week since I attained FB-AEP-PF. I've paroosed the forums a bit and have concluded that this community is unusually active and that it was worth registering to post with you people on these forums. From my first post I have also been able to adjudge that the FW crowd is extremely helpful and that a special comraderie exists between them, which is good seeing as to how my rides of choice are the Focke-Wulfs(Dora especially) and the Tank. Now to get to my question, it involves this remarkable program that I've recently attained called Hyperlobby.

Truly a charming program, very practical and effective indeed, I have just one dilemma though. There are good PF servers in there that I can fly in but I cannot join any Euro Front servers, I long for my beloved Focke-Wulfs and grow weary of that blasted Zero! Yes its a fun aircraft(especially for kamikaze) and effective for close dogfights but mudwrestling in this aircraft just doesn't satisfy me as much as fencing in my Dora. What am I to do?

I know this is probably a stupid question with a simple solution but as I said b4 I'm new to all this. In addition to that I'm naturally quite dim, being a fish and all(Woe is me), so take THAT into consideration BEFORE you judge me!

Regards,
The Flying Fish

SeaFireLIV
11-05-2004, 08:04 AM
That`ll need more than a crumb of help!

Cajun76
11-05-2004, 08:30 AM
There are a few FB only servers running. You could try a stand alone install of IL2:FB:Ace, and have both on your machine. But seeing as PF is the new ride in town, every one wants a spin. Zeros are usually not a big problem when I face them in a Jug, the Fw is flown in a similar fashion, though there are important differences also. Stay fast and they aren't much threat. Engage or disengage at your discretion.

JG52Uther
11-05-2004, 09:36 AM
There are a few 'Eastern/Western front servers running on V3.0 now.Expect to see more upgrading soon when the dedicated server patch comes out (such as warclouds,greatergreen etc.)Virtualpilots server is running the gulf of Finland map now (no FW's but you can have a Messerschmitt 109 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)And not a Japanese plane in sight http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tully__
11-05-2004, 07:59 PM
A large percentage of this community have been flying European/Eastern front missions for as much as two years and now that the Pacific theatre is available there's a mad rush to try it out. Over the next month or two you gradually see the range of available missions diversify as people get the "new toy" syndrome out of their system and the hard core European theatre / East front theatre devotees return to their native turf.

Bearcat99
11-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Welcome aboard.... yes I agree with some of the previous posters. It will die down some in a few... I like my Corsair and the carriers and all but I am a Jug and Pony man myself.... with a little Hawk sprinkled in. I prefer the Eastern /Western maps. Its just the carrier landings and that gull winged beauty that keep me over the water at the moment.

Freycinet
11-06-2004, 07:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fish6891:

Regards,
The Flying Fish <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome!

Your exquisite command of the English language is enjoyably divergent from the usual fare in these forums!

LeadSucker
11-06-2004, 08:28 AM
Hi Fish
The problem with servers and clients at the moment is hopefully temporary. The problem is twofold:
1) There are essentially three possible installations at the moment:
a) PF standalone
b) IL2FB (IL2 Forgotten Battles) + AEP (Ace expansion pack) + PF
c) IL2FB + AEP
Your installation and the server must match.
2) There is only a dedicated server (free software running IL2++ as a server without the graphical interface) available for alternative c) at the moment.

So most "serious" servers still runs alternative c). In a short time (according to Oleg) there will be servers for the other alternatives as well. My guess is that all c) servers will disappear and you will only see a) and b) servers.

So the "regulars" now have two installations on their computers and that is a) and c). They use a) for variation and c) for their online flying. I guess all will move to b) when these servers starts popping up in a week or two.

So, looking for online fights in a FW190 install alternative c) and join e.g. UK-DEDICATED (cockpit off). Some of the maps there offer the FW190 including the Dora.

Nice to have you with us. Hope to meet you in the virtual skies. I usually fly red but is easy prey.

Petter

LeadSucker
11-06-2004, 08:35 AM
Hi Fish
Forgot to mention. You will always need the latest patch. The version number shows up (down lef) when you fire up the sim.

The version numbers are:
IL2FB original: 1.0
IL2FB + AEP: 2.0
IL2FB + AEP with latest patch: 2.04 (?? I think)
PF: 3.0

Soon we wil have 3.something.

There are several reasons why the patch number must match such as availability to the same type of planes, ships, etc. but an even more important is that flight models are modified. Two clients with different flight models would send the same identical plane to different location. Pretty hard to make a sound game out of that.

Cheers
Petter

Fish6891
11-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Hmm, then my objective becomes clear, I must attain this FBAEP2.04 and use it in my wait for support of 3.00

My gratitude to all of you who helped me to grasp the situation, it is nice to have a community that is actually helpful, and thank you Freycinet for the kind words. Being a dim-witted fish, I sometimes doubt my ability to communicate successfully. Your words are reassuring.

Regards,
The Flying Fish