PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Ace Story

darkhorizon11
02-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Many of you have probably already read this except from the book "To fly, to fight."

Its about Bud Anderson one of the highest scoring American aces in the European theater. Pretty extreme stuff he not only describes the brutality of war but give good insight about the tactics used by both the American's and Germans. My favorite quotes would have to be:

"There's the chance I could find him in some gruppe's log book, having flown on this particular day, in this particular place, a few miles northwest of the French town of Strasbourg that sits on the Rhine. There are fellows who've done that, gone back and looked up their opponents. I never have. I never saw any point.

He was someone who was trying to kill me, is all."

Oh and of course...

I had lived and my opponent had died. But it was a near thing. It could have been the other way around just as easily, and what probably made the difference was the airplane I flew. Made in America. I would live to see the day when people would try to tell me the United States can't make cars like some other folks do. What a laugh. ..."

Proof that the Mustang was, indeed, that good. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

darkhorizon11
02-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Many of you have probably already read this except from the book "To fly, to fight."

Its about Bud Anderson one of the highest scoring American aces in the European theater. Pretty extreme stuff he not only describes the brutality of war but give good insight about the tactics used by both the American's and Germans. My favorite quotes would have to be:

"There's the chance I could find him in some gruppe's log book, having flown on this particular day, in this particular place, a few miles northwest of the French town of Strasbourg that sits on the Rhine. There are fellows who've done that, gone back and looked up their opponents. I never have. I never saw any point.

He was someone who was trying to kill me, is all."

Oh and of course...

I had lived and my opponent had died. But it was a near thing. It could have been the other way around just as easily, and what probably made the difference was the airplane I flew. Made in America. I would live to see the day when people would try to tell me the United States can't make cars like some other folks do. What a laugh. ..."

Proof that the Mustang was, indeed, that good. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

darkhorizon11
02-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Oops, almost forgot the link:

http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/anderson/anderson.htm

LEXX_Luthor
02-18-2005, 05:33 PM
I love Bud's use of trim in a dogfight.

I miss RBJ.

woofiedog
02-18-2005, 10:33 PM
Great story darkhorizon11.
Thank's

Waldo.Pepper
02-18-2005, 10:49 PM
My favorite follows....

"I came right up underneath his tail. I was going faster than he was; about fifty yards behind. I was tending to overshoot. I weaved off to the right, and he looked out to his left. I weaved to the left and he looked out to his right. So, he still didn't know I was there. About this time I closed up to about thirty yards, and I was on his portside coming in at about a fifteen-degree angle. Well, twenty-five to thirty yards in the air looks as if you're right on top of him because there is no background, no perspective there and it looks pretty close. I could see all the details in his face because he turned and looked at me just as I had a bead on him. One of my can shells caught him in the face and blew his head right off. The body slumped and the slipstream caught the neck, the stub of the neck, and the blood streamed down the side of the cockpit. It was a great sight anyway. The red blood down the white fusilage. I must say it gives you a feeling of satisfaction when you actually blow their brains out."

from http://www.constable.ca/beurling.htm

Bearcat99
02-18-2005, 11:19 PM
That book is a GREAT read. Bud Fortiers's "I was an Ace with the Eigth" was also a good read.... as was "Black Knights: The Story of the Tuskegee Airmen.