PDA

View Full Version : 4.06? Manchuria?

gthgrrl4game
06-19-2006, 12:45 PM
I have heard this is coming out soon.
Will this be a freebie or pay?
Will you need to have installed PE2 in order to use it?

gthgrrl4game
06-19-2006, 12:45 PM
I have heard this is coming out soon.
Will this be a freebie or pay?
Will you need to have installed PE2 in order to use it?

Fox_3
06-19-2006, 12:52 PM
It will be payware, and you will need Pe2 4.05 to install it.

gthgrrl4game
06-19-2006, 12:55 PM
I don't mind paying http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But if that means installing "boonty box" as well, like PE2 seems to then I'll give it a pass http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

VF-51-Dart
06-19-2006, 01:05 PM
That's what it means. The whole Boonty Box thing was blown way out of proportion. A bit of a hassle for some, but certainly not the end of the world. Our whole squad, 21 guys, updated and we're all still alive and so are our computers. This is the addon I've been looking forward to. Could have cared less about Pe2, but needed it to get this. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

gthgrrl4game
06-19-2006, 01:14 PM
So what is the secret of living and playingwith Boonty?
Also, I cannot find where to get PE 2 on this site http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
And how soon does Manchuria/4.06 come out?

VF-51-Dart
06-19-2006, 01:15 PM
You have to go to UBI's store and buy it there. Do a search on the forums for the process used to make life with Boonty Box easier.

gthgrrl4game
06-19-2006, 01:30 PM
VF-51
I have done a search and found WAY TOO MUCH about Boonty.
Has anyone installed it recently?
Has your squad mates done this?
Any issues or did thety need to do a workaround?
Thanks for your help http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LEBillfish
06-19-2006, 01:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gthgrrl4game:
......I have done a search and found WAY TOO MUCH about Boonty...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well first off remember, most of what you'll find out about BoontyBox on the net is written by Orwellian paranoids that in most cases have not the skill to even defrag......So don't believe it.

After installing the PE2 addon I performed the simple steps to remove BoontyBox from my PC.....It was easy, and was done without a hitch, everything running fine. Much of the "BoontyBox hysteria" actually perpetuated by those who after begging and pleading for 3 years for the PE2 became angry they had to pay for it.....The solution in their minds?.....Gripe about boontybox enough that Ubi would "give away for free" the PE2 addon....

Naturally, calls of "spyware, malware, etc. etc." were touted with the final rediculous statements of "If they had charged me for all the free planes and stuff we got I wouldn't mind paying now.."....

Go figure.....Don't sweat it, PE2 is a very worth while and long needed portion of the series. The next 2 pay addons are going to be even better....and if boonty worries you you can very easily rid your system of it....

It's a win/win situation http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif There is also a stickied thread on how to get rid of it posted by the Ubi Forum staff.

Akula_73.IAP
06-19-2006, 04:28 PM
While on topic, after BB downloads the addon, is it possible to back up the copy of it? I format my disc rather frequently (half a year max) so I don't really feel like paying for this addon every couple of months or so! I also don't like the idea that I don't own the piece of software I paid for...

VW-IceFire
06-19-2006, 04:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gthgrrl4game:
I don't mind paying http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But if that means installing "boonty box" as well, like PE2 seems to then I'll give it a pass http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Its really not that bad. Its not the most well thought out process and I spent most of the time trying to remember how to read French but if you're smarter than I you'll change the language before the download starts.

Although Boonty was sprung on us in the worst possible way...it wasn't too bad in the end. I didn't even bother removing it. I've just permanently turned it off.

Using the old EXE's from 4.04 is also recommended as the Boontified EXE's are unstable. But a few quick tweaks and away you go with no issues.

-HH-Quazi
06-19-2006, 05:01 PM
And once you find the site to purchase it from, and if it is in a language other than english, there is a Bitish Flag on the left side of the web page and low, and if you click on it, it will take you to the english site.

There is a thread in GD with a shortcut to the thread in PF and Community Help, that was posted by Luthier, that will instruct you on how to get rid of Boonty once the addon is installed.

I actually thought I wouldn't be interested in flying the Pe-2 or missions associated with it, bit I was wrong. I actually dive bomb in the Pe-2 better than any other in the game. But is required to take the game any further than 4.04m

BillPosters
06-19-2006, 05:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Akula_73.IAP:
While on topic, after BB downloads the addon, is it possible to back up the copy of it? I format my disc rather frequently (half a year max) so I don't really feel like paying for this addon every couple of months or so! I also don't like the idea that I don't own the piece of software I paid for... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BB downloads the installer exe to your hard drive and you can easily burn it to disc from there. I can't quite recall what directory it was stored in or what the file was called exactly (I'm at work at the moment) but I remember it was quite easy to find.
From then on whenever you reinstall FB you can use the PE-2 install exe to install the addon, then, so long as you replace the Boontified exe's with the originals as described above, you need never have to deal with BB again.

Cheers.

VF51_Flatspin
06-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Luthier put out excellent instructions for installation of 4.05 and will probably for 4.06 as well. His instructions are clear about how to install the patch using boonty and then how to delete it and all references afterward. It's easier than tracking down annoying spyware.

Don't be gunshy...if you want the patch(es) follow Luthier's instructions - it's a snap!

gthgrrl4game
06-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Thank you all, I will give it a try tonight.
ANYTHING to fly more Hayabusa and the Ki-27's!!!

Bearcat99
06-22-2006, 07:02 AM
The Pe-2 add on is a great addition to the sim.. not only that even though many have said no changes were made to any of the FMs.... some planes do in fact perform better.... I still die regularly online in them mind you.. but now it is usually more due to my own screw up or being outflown than my poor performing, snap stalling, wing breaking, slow flying can't catch or outrun a dern thing plane.. which works fine for me.

What LeB said pretty much sums up my take on the issue..

WOLFMondo
06-22-2006, 07:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LEBillfish:
......I have done a search and found WAY TOO MUCH about Boonty...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well first off remember, most of what you'll find out about BoontyBox on the net is written by Orwellian paranoids that in most cases have not the skill to even defrag......So don't believe it.

After installing the PE2 addon I performed the simple steps to remove BoontyBox from my PC.....It was easy, and was done without a hitch, everything running fine. Much of the "BoontyBox hysteria" actually perpetuated by those who after begging and pleading for 3 years for the PE2 became angry they had to pay for it.....The solution in their minds?.....Gripe about boontybox enough that Ubi would "give away for free" the PE2 addon....

Naturally, calls of "spyware, malware, etc. etc." were touted with the final rediculous statements of "If they had charged me for all the free planes and stuff we got I wouldn't mind paying now.."....

Go figure.....Don't sweat it, PE2 is a very worth while and long needed portion of the series. The next 2 pay addons are going to be even better....and if boonty worries you you can very easily rid your system of it....

It's a win/win situation http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif There is also a stickied thread on how to get rid of it posted by the Ubi Forum staff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Pe2 was well worth it. Even the new Mig3 campaign was good fun, at the cost of 3 pints of beer down the pub. Bargain.

Tater-SW-
06-24-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm more than capable of installing, then removing BB, but I lack the will to more than double click an installer (for something I am paying for in particular). Bottom line is that I shouldn't have to jump through hoops. I'm far less likely to have all the current ATI drivers for the same reason, what should be a simple "update drivers" is a major PITA to do right, scrubbing out every scrap of the old, etc. Heck, I'd actually pay extra for a turnkey installation.

In the case of Pe-2, I care so little about the content of the add-on, I didn't bother. I'll reevaluate when Manchuria comes out since I actually want what's in that add-on, and then I can deal with BB once and never again (because I have less than zero interest in the 1946 **** unless they surprise us with a huge amount of generically useful non-1946 content (maps, ground objects, ships, etc)).

tater

VW-IceFire
06-24-2006, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
I'm more than capable of installing, then removing BB, but I lack the will to more than double click an installer (for something I am paying for in particular). Bottom line is that I shouldn't have to jump through hoops. I'm far less likely to have all the current ATI drivers for the same reason, what should be a simple "update drivers" is a major PITA to do right, scrubbing out every scrap of the old, etc. Heck, I'd actually pay extra for a turnkey installation.

In the case of Pe-2, I care so little about the content of the add-on, I didn't bother. I'll reevaluate when Manchuria comes out since I actually want what's in that add-on, and then I can deal with BB once and never again (because I have less than zero interest in the 1946 **** unless they surprise us with a huge amount of generically useful non-1946 content (maps, ground objects, ships, etc)).

tater </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Non-1946 content in the 1946 addon includes the Ar-234, the new Ukraine map which could be nice for any part of the war, all of the new objects on the ground, vehicles and such.

I really hope people don't turn their noses up on that one...I'm looking forward to 1946. Its not Korea but its pretty close.

dglasal
06-24-2006, 06:51 PM
A couple of questions please. I too dislike buying via download as I like the idea of reinstalling as needed. I also want to add the add-ons to both my desktop system and my notebook. Are there ways to key in on files that are used to download and install these add-ons?

Tater-SW-
06-25-2006, 12:38 AM
I don't care about any of the jets at all, I don't even like later war prop planes, frankly. My own taste, granted.

That means I will have to be convinced to get '46 soley for 7-8 ground objects (there are more than enough tanks, unless the actual armor is modelled properly, different types are pretty pointless, IMO). Sadly, the barges will probably sink like the landing craft do, a light sprinkle of mg fire and BOOM.

tater

msalama
06-25-2006, 02:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone installed it recently? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I installed v.4.05 two days ago. The Boonty sucks, but you can get rid of it pretty easily. Just follow the instructions found on this site.

But FWIW, I actually decided to leave Boonty installed on my machine. I just disabled it, meaning it doesn't do anything until I enable it again, which will be when v.4.06 comes out.

There're some iffy parts involved in the installation process if you want to get a Boonty-less game, but it's _not_ the end of the world by a long shot still!

So go and get it is my opinion. And oh yeah, Boonty does NOT collect any personal data so no worries there...

Just buy it is MHO.

SidCheshire
06-25-2006, 02:31 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

ElAurens
06-25-2006, 11:52 AM
there are far worse install programs then Boonty Box out there... far worse.

Check your logs, etc...

BillPosters
06-26-2006, 09:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dglasal:
A couple of questions please. I too dislike buying via download as I like the idea of reinstalling as needed. I also want to add the add-ons to both my desktop system and my notebook. Are there ways to key in on files that are used to download and install these add-ons? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I mentioned above, BB installs the PE-2 addon from an executable file which it downloads and saves to a directory on your HDD. This file can be copied/backed up to any medium you like and used to reinstall the addon again and again.
In this respect it is just like installing any of the patches. The only thing to keep in mind is to replace the new game exe's with the old ones as per Luthier's instructions.

The install file should be quite easy to find. It is downloaded to a folder called "my game downloads" or "boonty games" or something similar. I can't quite recall as I have since reformated my PC and reinstalling PE-2 from the above mentioned install exe means BB need never taint your hard drive.

Cheers.