PDA

View Full Version : Inverted controls on I-16.

XyZspineZyX
08-10-2003, 11:12 AM
This is something I read about I-16's fighting in the Spanish Civil War:

It seems that, due to the reduced length of the plane and inherent unstability, diving controls tended to get inverted at high diving speeds, many learning pilots losing their lives when trying to recover from a steep dive. They simply pulled the stick back and back, when it was surprisingly necessary to push it forward.

I think it's true, for it was stated by some acclaimed soviet and spanish aces of I-16 during that bloody conflict.

Is this implemented in Il-2 FB I-16 flight model? I have not experienced it. If not, I think that it would be interesting to take a look on it.

Thank you.

- Dux Corvan -

"It doesn't matter how good you are: In a crowded dogfight even the most experienced ace can be downed by a rookie; so, surviving an air war is just a matter of luck. However, an agressive attitude is the only one that gives you a chance to live, for runners are generally chased to death."
(Captain Lacalle, ace of the Republican Air Force during the Spanish Civil War.)

XyZspineZyX
08-10-2003, 11:12 AM
This is something I read about I-16's fighting in the Spanish Civil War:

It seems that, due to the reduced length of the plane and inherent unstability, diving controls tended to get inverted at high diving speeds, many learning pilots losing their lives when trying to recover from a steep dive. They simply pulled the stick back and back, when it was surprisingly necessary to push it forward.

I think it's true, for it was stated by some acclaimed soviet and spanish aces of I-16 during that bloody conflict.

Is this implemented in Il-2 FB I-16 flight model? I have not experienced it. If not, I think that it would be interesting to take a look on it.

Thank you.

- Dux Corvan -

"It doesn't matter how good you are: In a crowded dogfight even the most experienced ace can be downed by a rookie; so, surviving an air war is just a matter of luck. However, an agressive attitude is the only one that gives you a chance to live, for runners are generally chased to death."
(Captain Lacalle, ace of the Republican Air Force during the Spanish Civil War.)