PDA

View Full Version : ? For Cougar Users

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 06:04 PM
I'd like to get some advice on joystick slider settings. When I started using the Cougar in FB the pitch especially seemed way to sensitive. I set it 1-50 instead of 1-100 which seemed a lot steadier, but does that mean I'm only getting 50% of the elevator range? What are some of the settings that seem to work the best?

Thanx

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 06:04 PM
I'd like to get some advice on joystick slider settings. When I started using the Cougar in FB the pitch especially seemed way to sensitive. I set it 1-50 instead of 1-100 which seemed a lot steadier, but does that mean I'm only getting 50% of the elevator range? What are some of the settings that seem to work the best?

Thanx

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Yep. Your only getting 50% of the throw. Kind of dangerous for pulling out of dives.

25th_Buzz
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<center>
http://www.vfa25.com/sigs/buzz.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 06:26 PM
OK - That's what I figured, What do you recconend? If I set it 0-100 but set the first 4 or 5 sliders pretty close together will that improve stability? By the way, what does that filter setting do?

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Yes. You can set is soft in the beginning, and then taper it up faster at the end. You can stop at 90-92% for planes that have good elevator responce.

I slow the aileron settings way down when I fly the Fw190. So that it feels more like it did in IL2. This way if Oleg slows it down like he should. I can speed it back up with my settings, and keep the feel I have now.

I have to use different settings for all the different planes. To me, there is no one setting that works for all the planes.

25th_Buzz
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<center>
http://www.vfa25.com/sigs/buzz.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 06:44 PM
I did something else that works pretty well with the Cougar. Just set every slider to 100% and assign the axis curve from within the CCP (Cougar Control Panel).

I use a curve of -4 on both the X axis and the Rudder axis and a curve of -5 on the Y axis. And if this should be too sensitive for you still you can lower the values of this further.

<p align="center">http://hometown.aol.de/Deathbrng/Sigfinal.jpg</p><p align="center">'Hmmm? I wonder what the red button is for........'</p><p align="center">HL Nick = BLUE_Schnitter</p>

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 06:48 PM
well I am not a cougar user but a f-22 (same proble ).

Right the way to do it is to go lower at the beging and them increase step to the end specially the frits two bars i use values of 6 ond 10 try is a tes and error..

Also the ajustment do not work the same to al the planes so you have to try

AHHH and advices begings from a defalt setting ok

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the input - hopefully with practice I'll eventually hit something. (I could go back to easy gunnery but that seems like no challenge at all now).

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Der_Schnitter_t wrote:
- I did something else that works pretty well with the
- Cougar. Just set every slider to 100% and assign
- the axis curve from within the CCP (Cougar Control
- Panel).
-
- I use a curve of -4 on both the X axis and the
- Rudder axis and a curve of -5 on the Y axis. And if
- this should be too sensitive for you still you can
- lower the values of this further.
-
- <p align="center">http://hometown.aol.de/Deathbrng/Sigfinal.jpg</p><p
- align="center">'Hmmm? I wonder what the red button
- is for........'</p><p align="center">HL Nick =
- BLUE_Schnitter</p>

I haven't gotten into any Cougar programming yet - a little daunting - but I want to try it soon.

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 07:07 PM
I have always had a problem with the nose bouncing around when I tried to fine tune for shooting. I went to a really soft center (of stick movement - 1st slider) and worked up to 100 only in the last slider.

I kept working further and further down until my curve was starting at 2, then 4, etc. That still didn't work. I thought it might have been that I was getting too little response and so pulling back further then spiking it as the response rate increased.

I recently set all the sliders much higher. Keeping roughly the same curve and starting at 10. Now each slider is a factor of 10 with the last being 100. Seems to work much better. I may experiment more still with increasing the sensitivity even more, as well as trying to flatten out the curve some (so it won't "spike" on me).

Although, the center play is starting to get on my nerves too. Need to design a fix for that as the mods available at Cougar world are too expensive.

Still the best stick I've ever used. In spite of it's problems, I'd not trade it in for anything else on the market. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-06-2003, 11:36 PM
Did you find that any other sims were too responsive? I'm pretty much just flying FB now but I recently got a new computer and on it Mig Alley and RBII for instance are way touchy.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 12:32 AM
That's where you'll have to make a profile for it. Use the stick software to create your own curves for those games.

I've heard that using the IL2 setup for setting curves was bad, but not why. It might be why I'm getting the bounce problem.