PDA

View Full Version : For 1.4 I want more in-boat playability

S VIIC_41
06-07-2005, 05:50 AM
I'm not big on realism, but it's **** fun to go inside the boat when under a depth charge attack.

Watching the sonarman... staring at the attack map from the navigator position... it's really immersive.

But a few things spoil the usability of the inside view. For example, when you're in the conning tower if you click on the periscope you can't just go right back into the conning tower.

This, I would suggest solving by making a right-click go back into the main area of the tower.

Then, if you click on the eyepiece of the scope, you go into the attack scope. Great. Only you can't just go right back to the persicope in the tower which sort of kills the immersion.

Is right-click used for anything in the attack scope view? I don't recall it being used... if not, that should go back to the persicope in the conning tower.

These tiny changes would make attacks/evasion a lot more immersive.

Threl
06-07-2005, 08:42 AM
I agree with u completely, I would also like to see more parts of the uboat, like being able to see inside the engine rooms, and the torp compartments. It would be so cool if u could see the men trying to load torps, or looking at the engines running http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

S VIIC_41
06-08-2005, 06:58 AM
BUMP

I just want to make this visible, it shouldn't be hard at all to do but hey... a sonar man patch shouldn't take a month V_V

CrossWire1969
06-08-2005, 08:20 AM
And a real flushable toilet with pre-war rock hard toilet paper. And sometimes when you pass it, it would be engaged and you would hear groans coming from inside followed by the occasional "plop".

S VIIC_41
06-08-2005, 11:44 AM
No CrossWire... I think we can do without that one... <_<

Frederf220
06-08-2005, 01:34 PM
"Then, if you click on the eyepiece of the scope, you go into the attack scope. Great. Only you can't just go right back to the persicope in the tower which sort of kills the immersion."

It's possible to make a go back key editing commands_en.cfg. Allows you to do go_back from 2D to 3D. kinda fixes that thing. It isn't Right Mouse Button, but it's still one keystroke

Budokan
06-08-2005, 03:20 PM
I would like to see this, too. (Uh, not the toilet thing, the inside the uboot thing)

I want to move throughout the entire boat, check up on my men in all the compartments. As it is now, I'm not too sure what they're really up to when I give an order because I can't see 'em. They might be having a party back there. Heck, they might have brought some of those nurses on board! (Which wouldn't be so bad but they're not sharing them with me, and I'm the captain!)

At one point I wondered what it would be like to hit a key and have my boat go transparent when it's underwater, being able to see my crew move around and work in their compartments, but that might be an immersion killer for the sim, dunno.

Definitely would like to move/see the other compartments, though, and see how more space would be freed in the bow compartment as we expend torps, etc.

Mylo42
06-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Not being able to move freely from the conning tower to the attack scope and back again is one of those nit picky little things that really irritates me because of the loss of emmersion. I hate having to click on the command room and then run up the ladder to the conning tower every time a look away from the attack scope. A minor, but annoying, flaw if you ask me (and others apparently).

As for having access to the other compartments of the sub, I'm all for it IF it served some sort of purpose. Perhaps "visiting" your crew in quarters would improve their morale / fatigue or going to the torp rooms might speed up the loading. I don't know, but there should be a purpose. Otherwise, I can see checking them out once and never again with the simple feeling of "been there, done that". I do like the idea of being able to use the head though........ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif <--- grunting out poop.

CrossWire1969
06-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Mylo42:
I do like the idea of being able to use the head though........ http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif <--- grunting out poop.

Yes, at least you see the great benefits and flexibility that this would bring to the game. When under surface attack your crew could hide in the loo, and you would have to coax them out with extra rations of rum, and the reality factor, one of your crew is sitting there half way though a dump when out-the-blue the boat goes to battle stations, you would then be able to tell which member of your crew last emptied his bowels due to toilet paper dangling from his pants. There is so much adding of a dingy smelly bog could add to game quality and depth Id need a full pack of toilet rolls to write it all down on.

sdcruz
06-09-2005, 03:46 AM
we all want this and that, but at the end of the day any project is constrained by the following resources

1. Time
2. Money
3. Scope

Regards
Shelton.

W.Irving
06-09-2005, 03:54 AM
There are two scopes already!!!!1111111111
That alone should make up for the unsufficient time/money (get back, i'm alright jack keep yr.. uh.. sorry).

PrinzEugen
06-09-2005, 04:30 AM
I agree would be nice.

I would like to shoot drowning sailors with my flak in the water when enemy ship is sinking . Or make POW and earn some renown .

Everybody is yelling about the milkcows . But at the end of 1943 all the milkcows ( 12 ore something ) were destroyed by the Americans .So if UBI is going to add Milkcows , we only can use them for 3 years .

Greetings and good hunting

S VIIC_41
06-09-2005, 09:38 AM
It's possible to make a go back key editing commands_en.cfg. Allows you to do go_back from 2D to 3D. kinda fixes that thing. It isn't Right Mouse Button, but it's still one keystroke

Even more reason for them to include this in the next patch because it's simple to do and honestly should have always been there.

I want to move throughout the entire boat, check up on my men in all the compartments.

I'm sure we all would but let's face it... that's not going to happen in a patch. Big things never happen in patches, not for non-MMORPGs-with-fees anyway. That and the patch would be ****ing huge and... I guess the game wouldn't run any slower because they wouldn't be on the screen at the same time as anything else I suppose but... not gonna happen.

Maybe for an expansion. I hope.

At one point I wondered what it would be like to hit a key and have my boat go transparent when it's underwater, being able to see my crew move around and work in their compartments, but that might be an immersion killer for the sim, dunno.

Might be a framerate killer for those of us without a computer the size of a hotel.

There are two scopes already!!!!1111111111

But I want to be able to walk into the conning tower and use the scope like a real captain.

Most of the time I'd probably just use F3 but sometimes it'd be great for the atmosphere... especially in a destroyer attack.

S VIIC_41
06-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Bump.

I hope someone sees this...

HauptmannCrunch
06-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Some once mentioned the idea of moving about a cmplete 3d model U-boat like a FPS game. after playing DooM3 and interacting with the environment, Battle Feild vietnam moving about in the Helicopter, Star Wars Battle front you can move around in the vehicles too. So it's not only possible it is now a common thing to see in games and players love it!

But I have to think that a full sized U-boat in complete detail will have to wait for Windows 64bit and other technology advances.

Fish40
06-10-2005, 06:44 PM
It should'nt be that hard to model the rest of the sub. Remember B-17, The Mighty Eigth? That sim modeled the entire B-17, and you were able to actually see the crewmen moveing between compartments. That game is now several years old too boot! WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!!!

S VIIC_41
06-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Some once mentioned the idea of moving about a cmplete 3d model U-boat like a FPS game. after playing DooM3 and interacting with the environment, Battle Feild vietnam moving about in the Helicopter, Star Wars Battle front you can move around in the vehicles too. So it's not only possible it is now a common thing to see in games and players love it!

Still... it might be easy to get stuck...

Then again, you could still have the F keys for that.

In 1.4 I better be able to use my periscope properly... _

neustafa1
06-12-2005, 12:24 AM
how about putting in a galley.
adding a cook qual.
this would help with the crews moral morale / fatigue. Having been stationed on small boats I know that food is morale. If you had a good cook you were good to go.

the one thing I would love to have fixed and I don't know if there is any thing out yet, but giving course and depth commands. Just clicking on the dial sucks. I would love to just type in the course or depth. That and the cruse wheel on the nav map is 180 off.

"There is nothing that can't be solved by the use of high expolives".

Faamecanic
06-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by HauptmannCrunch:

But I have to think that a full sized U-boat in complete detail will have to wait for Windows 64bit and other technology advances.

Agree here with Crunch...

I Think the problem with a full 3d Uboat is not enough Horsepower to run the game if it had one.

Its called polycount...even though you dont always SEE the interior of your sub (say you are in command room, but dont see the stern Torp room while your in the command room). EVen though you dont SEE that room, your PC still needs to RENDER those polygons you cant see.

We run into this with Micrsoft Flight Sim aircraft design. MOst add on planes desgined will have no or limited interiror cabin models (other than cockpit) due to performance hits should a full simulated passger cabin be included.

S VIIC_41
06-12-2005, 12:56 PM
EVen though you dont SEE that room, your PC still needs to RENDER those polygons you cant see.

Maybe not if you can't see the whole boat at one time.

I mean, what else is the point behind the crappy steel plate of a door blocking my view into the sonar man's room if not to save resources?

Maj_Solo
06-14-2005, 12:01 PM
plycount and textures, reduce polygons or whatever it is and improve textures, the textures seems to be so low res

flankerbiotch
06-14-2005, 12:08 PM
This is something I'm very curious about and know very little about. Why does the game engine have to render the whole boat if you're only in one compartment? A typical FPS has hundreds of different rooms you might explore... are they all being rendered at the same time? And, if so, why? I can understand the idea that the boat has things happening to it, so all the compartments would be affected by what's going on outside the boat. But does the computer really have to graphically render what's not on screen?

Not being facetious here. I'd like to hear from somebody who knows their programming why this can't be done!