PDA

View Full Version : What is high ping warning in Hyper lobby?

Jan99_499
06-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I got this messege and got kicked out of the game many many time. What this mean? I got high speed internet,so speed wouldn't be a problem. Why I got kicked out? I got this problem mostly on Zeke&Wildcat room. Because I used Team speak? I setup some thing wrong? please help.

Thank you for your help

Zeus-cat
06-07-2007, 03:52 PM
High ping means you have a poor connection with the game server. The information the game needs to play in real time is not being sent from your computer to the server and back to your computer fast enough. The game will kick you out if the ping gets too high.

There are some things you can do to improve your ping, but I will let someone else tell you as I will forget some important ones.

SlickStick
06-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Jan99_499:
I got this messege and got kicked out of the game many many time. What this mean? I got high speed internet,so speed wouldn't be a problem. Why I got kicked out? I got this problem mostly on Zeke&Wildcat room. Because I used Team speak? I setup some thing wrong? please help.

Thank you for your help

On dedicated servers that use Ping Kick, it is usually set for a specific amount of ping (latency) allowed before the server kicks you after a few or set number of warnings.

Just some things to look at, others will have more shortly, I'm sure. You say that you have high speed internet, so what I would suggest first, is that as soon as you see the first high ping warning with your name come up in the chat, hit the S key and see what your ping is at that time.

It's possible that Team Speak could be driving up your latency, if it is set to use too much bandwidth. Other issues could be your ISP or PC.

Start with first seeing what your ping actually is when you see the message and then try shutting down TS and see if it goes away after you rejoin the server. Next, make sure your PC isn't running something else in the background or has spyware or such.

You'll most likely have to find the problem by process of elimination.

mcschmidt_00
06-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Where do you live and where is the ZvW server physically located? (I play on ZvW but I don't know where it is).

Physical distance does make a distance when it comes to the internet. Even though data can theoretically travel the speed of light over fiber optic lines, the reality is that the further you are away from the origin server the more networks your data has to pass over. Internet network providers don't always play nice together and internet routing protocols (i.e., BGP) aren't exactly optimized for speed.

While this isn't necessarily obvious when you're simply browsing web pages, the few extra milliseconds it might take your data to travel to and fro the server could be the difference between getting booted and not.

I also found this link:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-58988.html

Different game but the issues seem similar. So it may be something on your machine or it may be what I described above.

UgoRipley
06-10-2007, 02:02 AM
I used to have high ping warnings too, and I found out that I had to stop Emule from downloading stuff while playing...DOH !
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I also use TS, but I don't have this issue anymore.
Did you fiddle with the config of TS ?
Did you set a Push To Talk key ? Or at least adjusted the "shout/whisper" slider, so you don't send unwanted bytes ?

Crash_Moses
06-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Yup, Windows Automatic Update and Norton Network Security are always polling their servers for updates. Had to turn off automatic updates in order to play IL-2 online.

S!